Facial Mole Removal (Excision)- Excellent Results, Affordable Pricing, and Very Pleasant Experience. - San Francisco, CA

This might seem like an excessive review for a...

This might seem like an excessive review for a relatively minor procedure. That said, it felt like a huge deal to me (I only get one face!) and I hope this is helpful for someone else.

I cannot say great enough things about my experience, which I attribute mostly to the skill of the surgeon and a tiny bit to my diligence in keep the wound clean and then caring for the scar. It has been 13 days since the mole was removed and I can already tell that I am going to love the results. In the middle of the puffy redness, the actual scar is very thin, well-placed, and not nearly as long as I expected. I think it will be barely noticeable when the site fully heals.

I saw Evan Ransom, M.D. to get an second opinion on removing a facial mole. He charged less than half of the first quote and I felt much more comfortable with him. His training and patient reviews were excellent. When I met him, he was very approachable surgeon and seems like a nice guy.

After talking about the procedure, he marked my face to show where he would do the incision. A painless hour later, the mole was gone and I had eight neat visible sutures on my face (he did another layer underneath too). He said it would look like I had a caterpillar on my face, and I think that was a great description for the tidy collection of black sutures.

My aftercare instructions were clear and we set an appointment for five days later to remove the sutures. I chose to keep the sutures covered at work, even though Dr. Ransom said it was unnecessary, because I felt it looked less gruesome than the black sutures and it kept me from accidentally touching/scratching it. Unfortunately, and as expected, my skin around the suture became very irritated from the bandaid adhesive.

When the sutures were removed, glue was applied to the incision, covered by a piece of medical tape, to help hold it together. When the glue/tape started peeling off earlier than expected, I left a message at the office and Dr. Ransom returned my call very quickly and assured me it was fine -- it was just there for added protection, but wasn't necessary to hold it together. After the tape fell off, I used a combination of silicone sheets cut to fit the scar ($30 at the drug store) and the Biocorneum silicone gel ($42 from his office). I really liked the silicone sheets because there is a light adhesive that (in my mind) helped hold each side of the incision together -- since that skin is still fragile, I was worried about it pulling apart and widening the scar. I also like the silicone sheets because I keeps me from accidentally rubbing my chin and it is clearly covering the area. I love the option of the silicone gel, for times that I am not just in my office or at home, but it is a much thinner coating of silicone and just makes me wonder if I used the right amount. It is only 13 days out, so there is still some redness and puffiness around the incision, but I can see a very thin, flesh-colored line between the redness and am confident that the surrounding raised redness will go away as it has more time to heal.
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

I saw Dr. Ransom to get an second opinion on removing a facial mole after another facial plastic surgeon told me it would cost $1,500 to do the excision . In contrast, Dr. Ransom charged less than half that and is just as highly qualified (if not more so?) than that first surgeon. Since I had already spent a lot of time researching his experience and reviews (I'm a worrier and I overdid it), I had a measure of confidence in him when I went in for my consultation. He is friendly, attentive, and clearly explained what to expect -- he truly comes across as a really nice guy. We talked about the procedure in his office and then went into the exam room so that he could mark where he would do the incision. He marks my face, it looks good, and a painless hour later, the mole was gone and I eight neat visible sutures on my face (he did another layer underneath too). I was super nervous during the procedure, so it was comforting that Dr. Ransom is so personable and that Dee, his assistant, was also there to help make conversation to distract me. Five days later, I went back to have the sutures removed. Glue was applied to the incision, covered by a piece of medical tape, to help hold it together. When the glue/tape started peeling off earlier than expected, I left a message at the office and Dr. Ransom returned my call very quickly and assured me it was fine. After the tape fell off, I used a combination of silicone sheets cut to fit the scar ($30 at the drug store) and the Biocorneum silicone gel ($42 from his office). Now, 13 days after the procedure, it is healing very nicely and I can already tell that I will have a very small, thin, and well-placed scar.