Facelift, Necklift and Fat Rejuvenated Me! - San Francisco, CA

I am 57, female, and had just hated my jowls and...

I am 57, female, and had just hated my jowls and jawline for so many years! While I keep slim and trim overall, and have had previous surgeries to address other areas, I felt that I still looked older and more tired than I felt.

In mid-August 2012, Dr. Marten did a lower SMAS lift, neck lift, conservative upper eyelid bleph, and placed fat in several areas of my face - as well as the backs of my hands, which looked like those of an 80-yr-old. At just 6 weeks post, I can already tell that I'm going to LOVE the look!

Fat is critical to achieve a truly refreshed and natural outcome. Dr. Marten placed fat in several areas on my face: temples, upper eyelids, nose bridge, cheeks, lips and jawline. In addition, he worked the fat in the backs of my hands into the first section of each finger for a very natural result.

The lower facelift Dr. Marten had done along with the fat injections to face and hands will make me feel more feminine and confident! I am SO happy to have lost my sagging jowls and drooping facial tissue. I only wish I'd known of Dr. Marten a decade ago and had the lower facelift done then. I am confident that the results I get from this surgery will last for a good decade or more.

San Francisco Plastic Surgeon

I presented myself to Dr. Timothy Marten earlier this year - after doing a LOT of research to find a highly-regarded surgeon who did both facial surgery and fat injections. I chose Dr. Marten only after a rigorous search process for a surgeon who did both lower facelift AND fat injections. Talking to his patients and seeing many before and after shots of other patients convinced me that my own issues would be addressed in a superior fashion. I was very impressed meeting Dr. Marten by the time he spent to discuss his technique for the procedures he recommended for me. He agreed that my jawline needed definition, but he also suggested other procedures to complete the rejuvenation and give me the best possible result. I spoke with several of Dr. Marten's patients, saw their before and afters, and took the plunge!

Wow you look fabulous!!
Thank you for your review! I will be going to Dr. Marten at the end of July for a neck and facelift, brow lift and fat transfer to my lips and other areas. So nervous already! How much time did you take off work after your procedure?
fallenb, I'm lucky to have been RETIRED at the time I had my surgery! I was bruised like a prize fighter for the first couple weeks, but managed to go to a HUGE family reunion just 3 weeks post. With camouflage makeup on, my bruises were covered, but I was still quite swollen from the fat injections for at least another 3 weeks. Not saying this to make you more anxious, but to prepare you that this is a long recovery, where the fat injections are going to take several months to "settle in". I never got even ONE bug-eyed stare - even from my niece and nephew, who saw me at 10 days post! We tend to think the world is focused on US, and seeing US under a magnifying glass. The reality is, folks have a full platter and notice only a few things outside of themselves. Will you look different? YES! But that's the whole point of getting the rejuvenating facelift and fat injections. I probably look 15-18 younger now, and it was worth ALL the recovery time and facial morphing to get to that point. Hope that helps!
That is very helpful, Bugjune, thank you so much! I was looking over Dr.'s responses, in general, about recovery and they seem to downplay it (oh, you'll be fine in two weeks) haha! It's nice to be reminded that people really do not care how you look. Yes, I am very excited and hopeful about the procedure by Dr. Marten. How was your energy level after surgery, I have had a tummy tuck and was incredibly beat for more than a month. That is another worry I have. Thanks again for you comments, and you look fabulous by the way!!
fallenb, I don't know your age or overall health, but I was 57 and in excellent health going in to this surgery. Even so, I was BEAT as well for a good 10-14 days. I seemed to recover my energy pretty fast, because it was really only the lower face being done. However! You do have a fair amount of lipo being done to harvest the fat! No kidding, I dropped a full pants size from that alone. It was harvested from my outer thighs and backs of thighs, making it kind of painful to sit down for about a month. I had ENORMOUS bruises on my legs, but then - for whatever reason - I just bruise hugely with any procedure. If you have to return to work in 2 weeks - you'd be beat! If after 3, you could hopefully take it a bit easier and coast into the 4th week. The recovery is ever-progressing (assuming no complications or health issues), so you can always see the day-to-day improvement. By NO means is the lower facelift, lipo and fat injections as invasive as a tummy tuck, I'm thinking! However, you are also not getting any younger ... so you have to factor in the age, too. Thank you for your compliments! I'm still THRILLED with my results, and have even had a handful of just incredible compliments coming from total strangers! Two guys on a flight with me said they were taking bets to see if I was a film star traveling incognito! Sure made my day. :-) Worth all the recovery ups 'n downs, for sure.
Bugjune, this really is a huge help to me! I think the best thing for me would be to work from home starting week 2 and then go back to my daily commute at the 4 week mark.. I'm like you, in that I bruise very easily! I was super bruised after tummy tuck, longer than most others! I am having a brow lift as well, but not my eyelids. That story about you on the flight with those guys is priceless!!! Wow! Thanks again, your advice is just what I need!!
fallenb, I have a handful of stories like the flight one - each one a precious moment to treasure! In fact, I just met up with some folks I hadn't seen in 8 years around Xmas (1.5 years post) and the guy said, "You don't look good. You look WOWIE good. What's your secret?!" And then he brow-beat me into confessing to ALL the work done! :-) I also wanted to remind you (as if you don't know?) that having the lipo & fat done in the summer, your legs/back may be too bruised for a swimsuit ... even tho you'll be DYING to show off the new, slimmer bod. No kidding, with the excellent lipo Dr. Marten did on my legs, I felt I could have and should have paid him like $8 grand more!
Wow! Amazing! haha! You're making me really excited! Yeah, I am having it done on July 30th. So I did figure my August would be no swimsuit time. Haha! I am looking forward to my appointment with the nurse for the month before, I guess we will go over where he will take fat from then. I hope he can get it from my inner thighs, I don't have a lot of fat and of course none on my tummy from my tummy tuck.. I am also wondering how long after the initial surgery you needed help. I am divorced so will have to have someone to help me. I know the first night I will be there, but about how much longer do you think I will need someone? Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions! :)
fallenb, you may well need help for a full week after the surgery. A lot depends on IF you have any situations that would involve immediate treatment. I recovered at a hotel in San Mateo, with my dear hubs at my side - he is PEERLESS when it comes to the critical after-care. Some folks get by with a 24-hour nurse for just a night or two, followed by a visiting nurse or care provider who comes in for 4 hours a day for just a few days. If you are responsible for your own meal prep, you know to do the shopping before hand, but there are *always* things that crop up to require someone to run errands for you. I had no serious post-op issues (thank GOD!) but .... the absolutely worst thing that happened to me was that I was severely constipated - basically never passed a movement for FOUR days after surgery. Turns out that pain meds are constipating! So before the surgery, have a liquid diet for a day or so, and ask the doc about using some kind of glycerin enema to clean you out good. I am not kidding when I say that day four post was like delivering a 9-lb baby from the wrong end. It was HOURS and HOURS of agony for me. I called Dr. Marten on a Sunday, and he promptly had hubs run out for enemetics to be delivered on BOTH ends. That did the trick, but be forewarned: easy on the diet, clean yourself out, try to do without vicoden and have some kind of enema on hand to take care of yourself if you develop this problem.
Great to know, Bugjune! oh my gosh, the constipation thing, forget about that!! how awful, I will be sure and be prepared ahead of time!! Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!!
you look so beautiful and young ,you're not 57 you're 35
^^^ Ha! I love it! Very nice of you to say so. I have to say that the best thing about having the tight jawline and fat injections done is that I need absolutely minimal makeup in going out now. Just foundation, mascara, blush and lipstick. I'm still loving my results!
How long did it take to get the consultation and how long did u have to wait for the surgery after? My consult appt with him is 5 months away and they said it would be 6 months after that for surgery... :(
Ow Medievajade, you will have to be incredibly patient to see this through. When I called to set up my consult back in Feb 2012, it was set up for May, but then I got lucky and was seen even earlier. I had the consult in April, and the surgery done in early August - which was a time that suited me, not on a long wait-list. In fact, I was kind of worried that I wouldn't get in to see my family physician and get ALL the forms filled out in time. It could be that business has picked up so much that this the earliest you can get in? But looking on the positive side, you will be able to get all the medical clearance in advance and the forms filled out and mailed in! :-)
you look great! I see that you had your procedure some time ago. Did the initial results hold up? I am considering getting a fat graft with Marten too. Terrified, because there are so many risks involved, but it's really something I am looking into
Thanks for your compliment, Lookingforsolutions! Funny you should ask ... I just had a new set of pictures taken today, and can see that my face is significantly thinner than the shot above (which was taken just over a year ago). Initially, I had a good "take" of the fat injections (retaining about 70%) but over time, two things have depleted my facial fat: the forward march of AGE (and other fat cells in my face dying off), and the fact that I've joined a gym several weeks ago and do a moderate amount of exercise now (interval sprints, weight work, burning 500+ cals per session, 4X's a week). Now, was that DUMB to take up the fat-burning exercise? Probably. But fitness is more important to me, and I had already figured I'd be back in to have Dr. Marten inject fat in the face a few more times. I'm ok coasting into 2015 ... but beyond that, I will seriously look skinny (and horsey) in the face again. Hope that helps. I do have to add that each individual will have a different outcome, depending on overall health and lifestyle. Good luck in your decision.
Thank you for your response :) How long did the fat last? there is also a risk of the fat injection affecting the retention of your own fat - which basically means that you can actually lose some of your own fat as the injected fat starts to disappear. From what you are saying, it doesn't seem like this is what happened to you since you retained the fat for some time and there are other reasons behind your recent fat loss (exercise, etc.). I am guessing you feel like the procedure was worth it regardless - is that correct? I am still young so I will not really require a lift or anything like that, but I lost a significant amount of fat in my face as a result of an injury from another procedure, hence I am looking into fat grafts alone. As I mentioned before, I am trying to be extra cautious in making this decision since my face was already damaged by another procedure. Any other information that you think will be useful in making this decision? especially as it pertains to this surgeon as he is the one I am considering
lookingforsolutions, you are wise to go cautiously with ANY kind of facial work, and I hope that if you get fat injections it is with a highly skilled injector. I think the fat I had injected has largely remained, but probably the combination of moderately intense exercise and the ongoing process of aging is why I've lost more facial fat. I have *never* heard of losing existing fat as a result of fat injection? That would surprise me. Injected fat needs an adequate blood supply to "take" so maybe there is some confusion as to what fat is actually dying off after all that swelling goes down. YES, absolutely, the procedure was worth doing! In fact, I've got an email in to Dr. Marten about getting a fat touch-up and addressing another age-related issue on my face. If you consult with Dr. Marten, I would go with an open mind. He is not only a highly skilled surgeon (with an ace surgical team) but has an incredible aesthetic eye for what areas could use improvement. He suggested some things for me that made a HUGE difference in my total result - which I had not even considered when going in for my consultation. So just take it all in ... then make the right decision. It also helps to get at least 2-3 opinions on the work you want done. One of the surgeons will likely "click" with you.
Ooops - read my reply below (March 10, 2014) I think I posted it in the wrong place?
I really appreciate your response, as I do not take the decision to have surgery (especially on my face) lightly. Dr Marten is definitely on top of my "potential surgeons" list, so I hope you will come back here frequently to give feedback as it really helps people like me. How long was the wait to book a consultation with Dr Marten and how long did you have to wait between the consultation and surgery date?
Hopefully, I'll have a whole new reason to come back here with more pictures and details! I'm trying to line up a consultation for outside corner lip lift with Dr. Marten. It's completely unpredictable as to how long it takes to get for a consultation (and he's flexible, doing email and Skype ones, too). Sometimes there is a last-minute cancellation, and you can be in there talking to him weeks in advance! But I have heard that he's booked up almost a year in advance for his surgeries now. He travels a lot to conferences, etc., so it can get dicey trying to find the perfect day to have a VERY important procedure done. Good luck to you on the logistics.
this doctor also has some very negative reviews on line.
maggi5, yes, I have seen a few of them myself at doctor rating sites and other message boards. I can only say that for me, Dr. Marten did a *superb* job with my lower facelift and the fat injections. His incisions are absolutely GONE - not a trace. Also, I think that either his fat placement or suggested procedures have rendered me more feminine-looking (as opposed to the angular, horsey face I presented to him before surgery). I am also blessed with excellent health, and while my recovery seemed LONGER than normal, I chalk that up to age, too, being 57 when I had this done. And you can't dismiss the "expectation" factor in elective surgery, either. My expectations were SUPER-exceeded by Dr. Marten. Others may not feel that way, if they set them too high or maybe had health issues that compromised their results.
hi. Did your surgeon tell you that the fat would be reabsorbed? Did you consult with Dr. Moellekin who does "live fill" instead of fat? Thanks
Maggi5, my surgeon said there is no way to predict how much fat will "survive" the injection, as each cell has to be supported with an adequate blood supply, but that I should retain about 60-70%. Also - and just as important! - the facial fat cells already in place continue to atrophy. That is why one injection of fat would probably not suffice forever. That process of aging and atrophy is ongoing for all the facial fat cells - even the new ones injected. So I will likely be getting another round of them in 2015. I have not heard of Dr. Moellekin or the "live fill" technique he uses. I should think the fat cells my surgeon injected were "live" as well, because he had just harvested them out of my thighs and muffin-top during the surgery. He definitely does NOT do frozen fat cell injections that I know of.