Day 2 After Procedure - San Diego, CA

Ok so I finally had this procedure done! Initially...

Ok so I finally had this procedure done! Initially I was prepared to pay $750 to have it done, but I found out that my insurance covered it because I have Actinic Keratosis, so after insurance my out of pocket was only $38.50! After reading all these reviews and talking with a few people that have had this done, I am convinced that everyone is different,no skin is the same, tolerance for pain & sensitivity, perhaps diet and attitude also contributes to the overall experience, all the same here is my experience thus so far.

The nurse used an Acetone soaked cotton swab to clean my face with, she used a fan near my face to help with the smell and burn, this felt a little rough but no big deal, next she used one stick of Levulan all over my face, felt like she was using a wet gel pen to draw all over my face, the Levulan tingled a tad but no pain. I then sat in the waiting room for 2 hours to let the Levulan set in.

Next she had me come back in the room, sat me down in a chair, gave me some protective eye wear and placed the Blu light shield around my face, think tanning bed for your head! She turned it on and within seconds I knew it was going to be intense. This might sound weird but I brought a rose quartz crystal to squeeze on to in my hand just in case the pain was unbearable. It was NOT unbearable, it was uncomfortable.It felt like staring into the hot sun while your face is already sun burn. It felt like a concentrated dose of wind-chap and sunburn. After the first 6 minutes it was less intense. For some reason my lips burned the most, we think I might have smeared Levulan in my lips while waiting in the waiting room after I applied chapstick.

I had this procedure done in the morning so as the day went on and into the evening my face just turned bright red like a sun burn, I did not have problems sleeping at all, this morning I woke up face feeling burned and dry. I applied aloe, hydrocortozone for moisturizer. I am hanging in there, on a scale of 1-10 for discomfort I give it MAYBE a 3.

I will keep you posted on days to follow, but so far not bad, just bummed I can't go out and play

So now it is morning 3, today my face feels like...

So now it is morning 3, today my face feels like leather..it has a dry tightness and it is uncomfortable. There is no pain though,it no longer feels sunburn. My chin has broken out with a bunch of tiny whiteheads. I can tell that later today and tomorrow are going to be my big peel days. I am keeping plenty of aloe and Hydrocortozone cream on today. Here are some updated pictures.

Katherine Doctor RN

She is a gentle sweet heart that preforms this procedure often, she is nurturing and does NOT rush you out the door.

Hi I'm going to San Diego next week and would like to check out your Dr. was wondering what company she is with? Also did you do this primarily for sun damage? Also do you have any photos of you before the process and now?
I love my results.. I highly recommend the procedure. I think you will too!

Hi Nelly

Thanks so much for the pictures. I'm considering undergoing this PDT treatment in London. I have a solar keratosis on my nose which is not going away, the other option is a chemotherapy treatment which im not really ready for. How is your face now? I also have a lot of sun damage and wrinkles and being 31 i'm not happy with that! So if this therapy helps both then that's a bonus. Please can you let me know how your recovery went as I'm wanting to book up and get mine sorted asap.

Many thanks and hope you're glowing now.
Pia

Thank you for the information. I would like a follow up and some more photos. Today my doctor said I should do this in the fall. I was just wondering if the redness and whiteheads went away. And after a couple of weeks it was worth it. Marc

Hi Nelley,

Thanks for so many great pictures, it's good to see the progression documented in pictures. That's so great that insurance paid for most of it $38 is awesome. What prompted you to have the procedure done? A number of community members have mentioned they use Aquaphor which seems to help. Please continue to keep us updated with how the healing goes.

Thanks so much for the review,

-Britt

Hi Britt,
Initially I sought out PDT after multiple consultations with Laser and cosmetic clinics for sun damage, hyper-pigmentation, Rosacea, wrinkles the whole 9 yards. I am 33 years old of Scottish/Irish decent and have spent most of my years worshiping the sun. Needless to say like many other people I am looking for a little cosmetic forgiveness. All of my consultations (3) advised PDT. It wasn't until I read on RealSelf that I could possibly have Insurance cover it. I have had Basal Cell on my face before, so I went in for a PDT consultations and they ruled out AK's on my face so I was eligible. The skin cancer prevention benefits are a huge bonus. Yes I am using aquaphor, and yes it helps big time! I will keep you posted as the days go on!

Hi Nelley,

Great added info! The prevention of skin cancer would be a huge added bonus and is also so good to know. Please keep us updated and things progress for sure.

Thanks,

-Britt

Hi Nelley:

Can you share with me the name of the clinic and nurse who administered the PDT treatment? I am local in San Diego and I'm entertaining having the procedure done.

Thanks so much,