Sweet and Subtle - San Diego, CA

I had been putting off this procedure for years...

I had been putting off this procedure for years because it was so intimidating. I didn't know anyone who had done anything other than boobs (and who doesn't get their boobs done these days?) so I had to do a lot of research on my own. Make sure you see at least 3 surgeons, so that you can compare rates and also get a feel for different personalities. I'm glad that I landed where I did. It was a relief to feel like I was in skilled hands. My doctor shortened the tip, shaved down the bridge just a little bit, and managed to straighten my oddly misshapen septum. Recovery from rhinoplasty is not easy; be prepared. That first day you just gush blood. My awesome husband took care of me because I was no shape to do anything for myself. I was more independent after the first day. My throat hurt from the tube, which was made worse by the fact that you're 100% blocked from breathing through your nose. You have to breathe through your mouth for a week straight, until your brace comes off. This was really hard for me because I can't sleep breathing through my mouth. All week I woke up gasping for air because my body kept trying to breathe through my blocked nose. I slept on the couch so I wouldn't wake up my husband. The swelling peaked at three days.

My doctor recommended a pretty intense pill regimen of antibiotics coupled with holistic meds. They worked! I didn't have any bruising under my eyes or any complications. After a week my brace came off and they cleaned out the blood and mucous, and for the first time in what seemed like forever, I breathed through my nose. I almost cried with relief. I was surprisingly presentable. Don't be fooled by what you look like with the brace and bandages, because you really can't tell what's under there until it all comes off. It took another couple of weeks before I could bend over without feeling a lot of pressure, and my throat finally stopped hurting about this time. I was still congested but much less so. My nose settled into a certain look after about a month, then changed again after about 4 months. This coincided with me getting the feeling back in my upper lip. That's another fun fact - you can't really feel much in your upper lip for a good while! Kissing becomes challenging. Strange stuff. After that, my nose wasn't "right" for a long time and every now and then I would blow my nose and feel a stitch come loose and get a nosebleed. Nothing huge, just some here and there. That's very minor. I would say that you really just need to get past that first week, then take it easy for a bit. After 3-4 weeks you're pretty good to get on with your life. I'm glad I did it. I was very worried about looking "plastic" but that didn't happen. In fact, nobody really noticed until I pointed it out, which is the mark of a good surgeon. Your nose should look like it belongs on your face. It really is worth it to pay more for someone who is going to do the job right. It's your face! Invest accordingly.

Thank you for sharing your story and tips! The lip/tip numbness is a very odd sensation. But all worth it, I think! We'd love to see your before and after photos. You can even blur out your eyes if that would make you more comfortable.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Karam has an excellent reputation in the community, particularly for rhinoplasty. His office staff is very friendly as is the doctor himself. He provided a visual projection of the end result. In my opinion, the actual surgery turned out even better. All of my questions were answered, and he was respectful about my concerns. I've never waited very long to see the doctor. It was a quality experience from the beginning.