12 days post op, supra tip swelling worse since cast removal- San Diego, CA

So after finding this website about a week or so...

So after finding this website about a week or so ago I finally decided to pull the trigger and post my story. I have always been bothered by my nose (mainly that it is crooked). Other people don't seem to notice or think my nose warrants any work, especially since I don't have anything obvious like a bump or something -you be the judge! Anyway I had my consult with Dr Roark a couple of weeks ago and he definitely validated my concerns. He told me the tip of my nose is perfect and he would shave some off the bridge of my nose and some off either side of my nasal bone (between my eyes). I was happy with that and am optimistic with the results. I bought some arnica pills and cream that I will start taking before my surgery (in about 3 weeks).

Any advice or tips would be appreciated, I've never had any work done and have not had any previous surgeries otherwise so a bit naive about the whole process.

almost time for pre op appt, 2 weeks til surgery day

i have my pre op appt this friday, which means surgery is about 2 week away. i am starting to get more anxious/nervous as it gets closer. i keep thinking i may or may not have taken enough time off of work (11 days) and am wondering when i will be able to work out again, specifically just doing pilates or weights. i have bought a few wireless bras online and a wedge pillow. i bought some other things from the recommended list. was wonder if anyone had any thoughts when to start the arnica, bromelain and vitamin E? was also told by my PS to start taking 1000 mg vitamin C, is it too early? i am going to ask my PS on friday but wanted to see what you all thought with your own experiences? i think i am just anxious to get the surgery part over with and start recovering :)

pre op appt today

my pre op appointment was this morning. i met with the nurse and also the PS, they took pictures, went over med history and gave me my prescriptions. oh and i paid :) i was starting get a little apprehensive about having the surgery but they both reassured me that i would be fine. the PS went over what he was going to do to my nose in detail and how that would make my after look. i feel a lot better now. i am still wondering when to start the vitamins and arnica and the bromelain? i dont want to take them too early if they can cause bleeding or other complications. i was also told to stop taking my fish oil which causes bleeding too (who knew?). anyway let the countdown begin, T-13 days!

Rhino surgery today! Now recovery timep

Had surgery bright and early this morning, everything went really well. My mouth was so intensely dry afterward it was awful but pain so far is definitely manageable. I also have decided I am not a good mouth breather, I doze off then start to snore and wake myself up again. I have two black eyes, putting arnica on it and trying to ice but I can already see the swelling over the bridge. It's also kind of hard to eat and timing my breathing, bread is just too dry and feels like if gets stuckin my throat. I have noticed some bleeding on my drip pad, had to,change it already. Next appt is tomorrow at10 maybe I can get packing out.

Tips? Advice from anybody?

The day after, more bruising and swelling

Sleep was pretty hit or miss last night. Even with the ambien I felt like I woke myself up every hour by my snoring or dry throat/lips. Today I saw myPS he seemed really pleased with how the surgery went. It's amazing how exhausting it is just to get outside and to the office. We also went to the supermarket for go gurt and I put my brave face on and actually owed it and went in with my bf. you can imagine the looks lol! Anyway,next appt is monday to get packing out YAY! Then again on Wednesday to change cast and Friday to remove cast and remove sutures, very much looking forward to Monday, I want this packing out! Althought mouth breathing is getting easier its still hell. Hopefully today is the worse for bruising. Also I have been starting to have post nasal bloody mucous which is lovely. I am trying to slowly were myself off the percocets,taking 1 every 4 hours. I took my stool softener and senna tabs too so hopefully will be regular again, that's all for now. More icing icing icing! I feel like it works better than the pills for pain.

2 days after surgery :)

Last night and yesterday were probably the worst I will have, lots of swelling tightness and pain. I think the swelling and bruising is lightening up a bit. I also slept in 3-4 hours increments and iced continually through the night. This humidifier is a godsend. I am only taking 1 Percocet and soma every 6 hours now. Mouth breathing is getting easier. I don't really have any drip anymore but still changing the gauze to keep my sutures clean. Gonna attempt a shower today with help of boyfriend. Wish us luck!

3 days after :) getting better!!

3 days after :) getting better!!

First I wanna say typing on an iPad is very annoying so sorry for my many typos along the way. I think I am finally getting the hang of it too.
Pain is much better today and i am now just taking 400 mg ibuprofen every 8 hours. Last night was okay with the ambien. I did not like the narcotics, made my stomach hurt and felt very bloated with the senna laxatives and stool softeners. Not much more to update. Showered yesterday with they help of the bf, he really is so amazing and this is love if he can wait on me and see me looking so terrible lol. Packing comes out tomorrow, does this hurt or can I do alright with the ibuprofen? I really want to be done with those percocets!!

Cast off, sutures gone!!

It's been a few days since I last posted but nothing was new to report, just lew bruising under the eyes each day. Today the cast was removed and I finally got to see what was under there and the results were way better than I could have imagined or expected. Seriously I am very impressed!! The sutures on the columella hurt when they were coming out bc I still have a fair amount of swelling there. The skin in my nose is a little gross, a few more clogged pores than I would like. Bought some witch hazel and hope that helps.

Any have any suggestions for skin care to take care of this problem since I still have to be very gentle when touching my nose? Also I have some tried snot on the anterior part of the inside of my nostrils, trying not to been to aggressive getting it all out bc it's around my dissolvable sutures. I feel like my nose is so naked now and so scared and overprotective of it bc I don't want it to collapse or fall sideways, eek! Next appointment is in a couple weeks :)

Supratip swelling after cast removal

This will be a quick post, i am 12 days post op, got my cast off Friday and have been starting to notice some supratip swelling that is visible in my profile pictures. It was not there when my cast was first removed. I have been reading that some people tape nightly but my PS did not say anything about it. I am wondering if I should be concerned or will this resolve on its own? I know it is very early in my recovery but don't want to kick myself later for something that could have been prevented. Any advice is welcome :) also I have had some gnarly rhinitis today and yesterday, not sure if its a cold or related to the rhinoplasty?
San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Actually read the doctors answers on real self about taping it seems 50/50 it it makes you feel better mine is doing the exact same thing swelling in tip after cast and I taped to bromelain the works! Time seems to be the only thing on our side I'm 3 weeks 2 days no change so try not to analyze it it will drive you crazy;)
Thanks! Sometimes this site makes me more neurotic but other times it helps to know others are going through the same things :) I have also seen mixed reviews on taping. I called my ps office and spoke with his nurse, she said my ps never recommends taping. I have an appt next week, so we will see what he says about it then. It really is minor swelling but I didn't get any tip work done, just shaving off the bridge so I'm guessing that's what's causing it. How did your surgery go??
It does look more swollen than your cast removal. I'm really surprised you're NOT taping your nose, I did probably for almost the first 3 weeks and it def helped with the swelling, I feel like most if not all dr. recommend that. I'd call your doctor and ask. The good thing is its SO early on, its too early to get worried. Your nose and face are in shock, our bodies natural reaction to post injury is to swell up, so your nose is still in the trauma phase and its hard to tell. I would focus not stressing and reminding yourself you are SO early on in recovery, eat LOTS of pineapple and ask your dr. about taping your nose! :)
Thanks for your comment! I know it is so early in my recovery but i feel like I don't want to ignore something if it might escalate or is abnormal. I was taking bromelain for a little over a week after surgery and the day before, I didn't know if it would still help so I took it again today, we will see. How far post op are you?
I know what you mean about ignoring something that you feel might be wrong -- the shittiest part is that we can't do anything about it until 1 year , so all we have is stress out over it and talk with our Dr. I'm 4 months post op, and honestly I'm having a few issues with my nose :( the tip seems to be going a little to the right but the biggest thing is my tip which seems to have irregularities in it/sharp edge which is also making my profile seems slopy... So unfortunately I'm just waiting at this point and wondering if it will go away
What's the witch hazel for? I noticed my eyes got itchy and red a couple days before the cast came off and I wonder if that was from not being able to wash my face. Yuck! It still hurts to wash my face normally, nose is still so sensitive. :)
Sorry for the late reply, witch hazel is an astringent, good for tightening pores after cleansing. I've noticed a big improvement using the glycolic acid and witch hazel, since I can't use mechanical exfoliation, I the chemical exfoliation is working great :)
your nose looks great!! congrats!
Wow we had our surgery on the same day! :D love your process, your nose looks cute already :)
Thanks!! I am sure it will evolve as time goes on so I am trying my hardest not to be critical but I feel like if it just stays like this I would be happy :) I took a peek at your profile, you pictures look great and that's awesome you can see what your nose will look like bc your cast isn't too bulky. I'm excited to see your official after pics when it's off!! Who hoo
Thanks! Yeah, i can already see the shape of the bridge and that's cool haha, hope my final results are as good as yours!
hold a q tip with hydrogen peroxide on the dried blood and snot ... lovely i know but it loosens it up!!
Thanks will try hydrogen peroxide, was afraid it would dissolve the sutures or be too harsh but these dried blood pieces have got to go!
u have an incredible smile....ur before pics are cute. But I'm also a perfectionist, and I saw exactly what bothered on ur nose. I'm on the same boat as u. I wanna get my nose fixed as well. Btw, I'm also in medical field. The reason u have to stop taking vitamin e and fish oil is because of the risk of bleeding. Fish oil also has a lot of vitamin e. I would suggest try to drink at least one protein shake a day. If you routinely take vitamins, and have plenty of protein in your system. You'll usually recover and heal faster than someone who doesn't. It all depends. I can't wait to see your final result. I have few questions, how long did the MD say ur surgery. would last and how long did it last? Did they insurt a foley in you, were u discharged the same day after ur nose job? How did u select ur surgeoun?
Hey thanks for the comment! Swelling and bruising is much better today. :). My PS told me surgery would take 2 hours and he was right! No foley needed only for surgeries longer than 3 hours and in older people. I was thankful for that! As for needs they gave me versed and Demerol and kept me sedated with propofol. The anesthesiologist was amazing, very good. I remember getting the versed and feeling woozy then waking up after extubation and him saying "there she is". Lol. I had some slurred speech that wore off within 20 mins. I came out of surgery at 10-10:30 and was discharged by noon. The whole process was so surprisingly easy. I selected my surgeon from word of mouth. I asked my hairstylist if she had any clients who got rhinos done, wouldn't you know it clients tell their stylists everything and she gave me a couple of names. I chose my PS bc he was personable and saw the same imperfections I saw. He sounded reasonable with all of the tweaks he would make in surgery and not like he was going to go crazy and completely change me look. I told him I did not want to look operated on and he understood. Thanks for the protein tip, trying to eat a fair amount and I am drinking lots of fresh squeezed juices. I started taking arnica and bromelain three days before surgery too. Good luck! Keep me posted with what you decide :)
Congrats!!
If your going to send him to the store have him pick up a tea called "throat coat" another must have your throat gets pretty sore from that tube they stick down it the tea will help immensely:-)
Glad to read that your surgery went well!!! Hope you start feeling more normal soon; I noticed a big difference once I got my packing out. Drink a lot of fluids to keep you hydrated, and things like frozen Go-gurts helped me a lot.. tasted sooo good after surgery! Happy healing :)
Thanks! Go-gurt is a great idea! I'll have the bf pick some up for me tomorrow
Cough drops saved my life as well as my husbands lol;)
Thanks for the tip, I'm sucking on one now and started up the humidifier hope the combo helps! It's definitely a millions times better than this am
Your nose is so cute! Good luck!
You are already beautiful. Good luck to you.
you are beautiful already! i was told specifically NOT to take vitamin E before as it is a blood thinner and can cause excessive bleeding... is this what you meant? i had my surgery yesterday and it was half as bad as i thought it would be :) good luck!
Best of luck to you - you've a great smile, and will look fantastic with a straight and refined nose!