Fraxel Restore Looks Good! - San Diego, CA

Originally, my plan was to have Fraxel Repair....

Originally, my plan was to have Fraxel Repair. However, the timing kept me from doing the procedure. I'm always busy with one project or another and need to be able to go in public. Finally my doctor suggested doing the milder Fraxel Restore, which would leave a sunburned appearance for 2 days. Hopefully, the treatment will cause the skin to look smoother, minimize pores, address lip lines, and get rid of tough looking skin. I've tried many peels, which have not worked. I arrived at the appointment. The receptionist is an extremely friendly young man. He asked me loudly if I was there for "Medical or Cosmetic" reasons?? This made me uncomfortable, as the office already had 3 patients waiting. It also wasn't necessary. The nurse called my name and I was escorted to a room in order to apply the numbing cream. The nurse was lovely and sweet, as she offered a deal to do my chest and neck in addition to my face. (No eyelids). I decided at that moment to do it since it's obviously needed. She helped me into a hospital gown so my blouse wouldn't be numb. After about an hour of numbing, 3 advil, and an anti-histamine, I was taken in the laser room. I have been there before to have my leg veins done. It is cold, so they offered a blanket. They also gave me two stress balls to squeeze during the procedure. It took about 20 minutes, the most pain being in the chest area and the forehead. My doctor then zapped my brown spots with another machine which was much less painful. Actually, nothing compared to the laser. Fraxel hurts. A lot. My ankles were twisting during the forehead and chest. The doctor kept asking if I was okay. He let up several times to allow me to catch a breath. Originally, I was prescribed Valtrex, an antibiotic, and vicodin, which I left at home in my cupboard. If I would have known Fraxel Restore was this painful, I would have brought my pain pills with me. Because I was no longer having the Fraxel Repair I left the meds behind. I have to travel a distance to see this doctor. Next time I will bring and use the pain medication. I will request it for the milder procedure, Fraxel Restore. Also, luckily, I had a prescription of the Valtrex with me and began immediately using it. If you are prone to cold sores or fever blisters, do this. It would have been my preferrence to leave through the more discretionary exit, however, I was escorted through the main waiting room. My face and chest, which were both beet red, made it difficult to maintain a dignified exit. Once home, the first thing you will do is go to a well lit mirror in order to study your skin. I found that my neck had immediate improvement and the look of smoothness which hasn't been seen in at least 5 years. Yes, the cheeks were red and face is swollen but it actually is not hideous. Use ice packs several times. Take your pain medications. Don't drink or smoke. You probably won't be too interested in socializing or a large meal. This is my second day. Woke up with swelling and less redness. There is pain so I will continue pain meds. Cheeks are hot to touch so I will continue the ice packs. Taking Valtrex! Neck still looks nice. Chest is smoother. I will do this again. Thinking this is love. Fair skinned with some olive undertones...55 years old...plan to maintain a Fraxel or similar program. This could be the answer to aging gracefully. Not wanting to jump my results, I will remain undecided until the outcome (give me 7 days, ok?). Doctor also prescribed Tretinoin for blackheads.

It sounds like you were well cared for at the office overall. I'm sorry to hear you were a bit embarrassed with your entrance (the question) and exit, but try to keep in mind most are there for the same reasons, so really, who are they to judge?! ;)

I'm so glad they prescribed the Valtrex for you. I have just recently been hearing how important that is even for those without a history of cold sores, so I appreciate you sharing that and the importance of the pain meds.

Take good care of yourself & rest up lots, and keep us posted on how you are doing! :)

This is the 4th day. My skin is a little more brown and the texture of the lightest sandpaper. It is itchy. Hope a little skin flakes off soon. Seems as if the top layer is so tight it will burst.
Dr. Ross

The nurse spends the time with you. The doctor sees you at your initial appointment in order to suggest a treatment plan. Once the plan is designed, he does the treatments and the nurse does all prep. I only marked one star down because of the receptionist asking loudly, "Medical or Cosmetic," which I consider unprofessional. The nurse called to check on me within 2 hours.