Todays the Day! - San Diego, CA

I'm 32 years old, 5'8, 135 lbs, and I have...

I'm 32 years old, 5'8, 135 lbs, and I have considered having breast reduction and breast lift surgery for more than 10 years.

I developed large breasts pretty early on, but also near that same time I gained a lot of weight. It took a while for the "baby fat' (as my mom called it) to come came off, but at 15 when I should have been feeling confident over my smaller figure, I was plagued with insecurity over the droopy DD sized breasts that stayed behind. Aside from insecurity, the list of frustrations just grew as time went on; shoulder pain from always wearing bras, constantly being uncomfortable, bras never fitting right, clothes never fitting right (don’t even get me started on swim suits), hindered exercise, etc. etc. In my early 20’s, I began to reassure myself that after I got married and had children I would get a reduction.

So here I am today, I have no children, and although I’m currently in a committed relationship with someone I love very much –children are not in the immediate future plan. Getting older, gaining weight, and losing weight has all taken further tolls on my breasts and on my self-confidence. Very recently I decided I didn’t want to put it off any longer and although the results may be better lasting should I wait until after I have children, I just don’t know that I will have the opportunity to do this later on.

Today is the morning of my surgery, I’ll be having a breast lift and slight reduction. While naturally I’m nervous, overall I’m thrilled with anticipation that for the first time since being very young, I have a chance to be comfortable in my own body.

Reading about other experiences with breast reduction and breast lift has sincerely helped me to decide to take this step towards a better quality of life. I’ll make sure to post before and after photos, and let you all know how surgery went as soon as possible.

Best of luck to you in your own journey!

It's now been 2 weeks since I've had my surgery. ...

It's now been 2 weeks since I've had my surgery. I have to admit that the surgery itself was intimidating. Walking into the OR made me a bit nervous, but the nurses and Dr. P couldn't have done a better job at making me feel comfortable - it seemed as though I blinked and it was over. I was nauseous later on that day, but by the next day my stomach settled back to normal. The pain was easily managed with painkillers; except the Percocet prescribed to me made me itch like crazy, and I had my doctor's office switch me to Vicodin instead, which stopped the itching issue. I did have drains in afterwards, but they weren't so awful, and I had them out within 5 days. Because I work from home, I had planned an early return to work and had surgery on Friday and was back at my desk on Wednesday. If I was able to, I would have definitely taken more time off for rest. I would recommend everyone, even if you work from home, to plan for at least 1 solid work week off at minimum (9 days total if you include regular off days) just to limit stress and movement.

They tell you to keep your arms at your side for 1 or 2 weeks after surgery. Not being able to reach for things, or being able to put your arms above your head is pretty restrictive, so it's good to have the things you'll need put within easy reach (like glasses, snacks, medicine, books, etc). The original dressings they put on after surgery are quite bulky, it sort of felt like they had taped a pillow to my chest - but for the most part I was happy to feel supported by the padding. I do wish I had more over-sized button up or zip up shirts though. Loose fitting and light fabric is definitely key to comfort, especially while the drains are in.

I had a followup appointment on day 5, but it took about 10 days before the Dr. could remove the original dressings for me to see the results. Although I fully trust Dr. P - I was nervous to see how they would look - I was worried with what he had to work with - one of my breasts was a lot larger than the other, and I had significant sagging (as you can see by the photos).

At the appointment, the doctor’s assistant helped me remove all of my surgical dressings and put a gown on. As she left the room, she said "It'll be a few minutes for the Dr. to see you – you can enjoy this time without a bra on". While she was referring to the 6 weeks post-surgery that is spent with surgical dressings on, it meant so much more than that to me. Sitting there bra-less under the gown, I can't even describe accurately what the feeling was; literally and figuratively it felt like a weight lifted off my chest. This was the first time since puberty that I was comfortable with the physical feeling of just being me - nude, without the support of a bra. The Dr. came in and showed me my result, and still days later I don't have the words to express how I feel, the closest I can find is 'Liberated'. The surgical tape is still in place, and there’s swelling and bruising, that’s normal at this phase – but wow, I’m absolutely thrilled with the result.

I was taken aback by the significantly smaller size, but not in a negative way -I’ve just always identified myself with my large breasts. While I’m not normally a sensitive person, this process has been very personal and emotional for me. The whole experience feels like so much more than just a physical transformation. I’ve never had much of a mind-body connection, and actually with weight struggles and insecurities towards my breasts - it’s always felt I’ve had more of a mind vs. body connection. This feels like the relationship between the two are being mended – I only wish I had taken these steps sooner.

I’ll make sure to keep the updates coming – best of luck to all of you!
Dr. Tom Pousti

I researched tons of surgeons in San Diego County and determined Dr. Tom Pousti to be the best qualified by far. I based my decision on research of his board certifications, experience with this type of surgery, his activity in the plastic surgery community, his openness to show real photos of patients and offer recommendations, the location of his surgical facility, and of course upon my consultation with him personally. During consultation and pre-surgery he was not at all pushy - he took the time to listen to my concerns, and made me feel comfortable. Post-surgery, my results so far are better than I ever could have imagined. I couldn't be happier with the level of service I've received from the doctor himself, his office staff, and his nursing staff. I would highly recommend Dr. Pousti for breast reduction / breast lift surgery.

You look awesome! I have the same Dr. and he did an awesome job. My surgery was Sep 19th. Best wishes!
You look amazing. If you don't mind me asking, what size are you now since having the surgery?
Thanks Mandy! I'm not sure of my cup size yet - I told my PS pre-opt that I was hoping for a C cup. It's hard to tell with the swelling, but I think they'll stay in the C cup range. I have a return appt Thursday, and will keep you posted on what my PS thinks of my cup size :)
Wow! You look amazing! I have my pre-op appt with my PS tomorrow and I'm going to show her your after shots as inspiration. Thanks so much for sharing your story. It's really helpful to see the before and afters of someone with a frame like mine (and pretty close "before" size, too)
Thank you so much for the kind words! It's great to hear that my photos helped. I am so happy I made the decision to have this done - I am certain you'll feel the same ;) Best wishes
Thanks Essjays :) Just out of curiosity, do you know your "after" size yet?
No, I'm not sure of my cup size yet - I told my PS pre-opt that I was hoping for a C cup. It's hard to tell with the swelling, but I think they'll stay in the C cup range. I have a return appt Thursday, and will keep you posted on what my PS thinks of my cup size :)
My PS thinks you're a C cup, too... haha... as promised, I used your pics as my desired "after" size- you're my boob model! :)
Yay! I didn't think I'd ever hear those words, hahaha! You made my day :)
Wow, you look amazing. First class job by your surgeon there. It's no wonder you're delighted!
Thanks so much for the compliment Charlie123UK ;)
Essjays how are you doing? I hope your having a pain free recovery!
Hope everything went well Essjays! When you are feeling better please update us so we know how you are doing!