Scarred for Life - San Antonio, TX

I come from a family of women with large upper...

I come from a family of women with large upper arms, also known as bat wings. After much research and consideration, I decided that upper arm liposuction was the best treatment for me. The procedure went fine and after tight bandaging, I was release to go home and rest. The next morning I woke up with a burning sensation on my right upper arm, in between the incision sites. I immediately called Dr. Finder (around 9 am) and told her what I was experiencing and she made arrangements to meet me at her office at noon. After taking the bandage off, (remember this is a tight fitting sleeve over both upper arms connecting in the back), it appeared that I had two blister type wounds forming on the back of my right arm, exactly where the cannula was suctioning in my arm. The sizes of the 3 wounds were approximately (1) 1" x 2.5" and two similar in size 1/4" x 1/2". Dr. Finder's initial reaction seemed to be shocked and unexplainable and then she concluded that my wounds were likely from a spider bite, a brown recluse to be more specific. She stated "that a spider must have somehow gotten in my (tight) bandage and bit me". Now, the wound was not there before the procedure, it wasn't there before I was bandaged up and there was no spider inside the bandage when it was taken off. She strongly persuaded me to research brown recluse spider bites and compare images to my wound. She treated me that day with heavy doses of Vaseline to the wound sites (spider bites) and saw me for two follow-up visits. In the meantime, the wounds were becoming worse and producing a foul odor. After my 3rd f/u visit, she recommended that I follow-up with my primary care doctor and was done with me. These are the pictures of the three wounds that occurred within 24 hrs of receiving liposuction of my upper arms from Dr. Finder.

Full Recovery in Progress

Update pending
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

What does your arm look like today?
Oops. Just saw your reply below.
Do you have any photos of how your arm looks today? Is it almost normal again?
Yanya, sorry for the delayed response. My arm is much better after 3 and half years of seeking improvements. I've had numerous procedures after the incident, such as scar revision, multiple laser therapy, and lipo above and below the surgical site. I do have recent pictures, but I can't post at this time. Currently I am in discussions with Dr. Finder, who contacted me after my review was posted.
It makes no sense how she replied bCk to your concern. Sorry u had to go through this . .
Dear MelloGirl86, Thank you! I'm very sorry to hear about your relative fighting a deadly infection, I hope and pray for the survival and that the outcome is a full recovery. Take care!
Thank you all for your comments, your responses are appreciated! My surgery took place January 2010 and I am still going through treatment trying to minimize the residual scar and divot in my arm. I did receive an email from Dr. Finder on this site as a result of my post and she was very apologetic for losing touch and not following up with me. She has also agreed to refund my money regarding the procedure at my request, although I have not received any form of payment. I am still waiting to her back from her and will post an update as soon as I have additional information. Thank you all again! Mere Mortal Girl (MG)
Wow. I'm sorry for what you had to go. A relative of mine recently had a procedure done (Tt) and a month later is now in the hospital battling a deadly infection. The things we do to feel better ad sometimes end up feeling worst.
Wow, that's horrible!! And to blame it on a spider bite is absolutely crazy! I hope you heal well and quickly
Thank you Kristy...healing is long and ongoing.
Update: she has disciplinary actions against her on the medical board
Hi, I just read ur profile and I am very sorry this happened to u. I researched dr. Kimberly finder and come to find out she is not meeting the requirements(moc) for dermatology and I also checked her on the Texas medical board and her name does not come up at all. Above all you should report her for her negligence. I hope u are doing better.
I'm so sorry that you had to go thru this. Was your dermatologist a board certified plastic surgeon? i've heard the horror stories about dermatologists and lipo, but I'm hoping your situation is getting better.
Not a plastic surgeon, but a Board Certified Dermatologist with an impeccable record during my research. Thank you, my arm looks much better, but it's been a long road. Thank you again!
Continuation. Due to the back and forth movement of the Canula. Of course the Armplasty procedure is in the Armamentarium of an experianced Plastic Surgeon.
Thank you for your reply. Most doctors are hesitant to say exactly what you said and I appreciate your honesty and feedback, your diagnosis is right on the money and after much research, I learned the hard way. I researched the Armplasty, but thought the liposuction would generate better results, gosh was I wrong. I have learned a very valuable lesson in all of this. At this point, I just hope I receive my refund as promised.
You took a wrong decision and your Doctor followed the same track. I been doing Liposuction since 1984 and for your problem , I would have suggested an Armplasty, meaning resecting the neccesary skin and fat in the inner part of your arm, this will of course produce an scar, but only noticible when you lift your arms, but quite inconspicuos in your regular daily life. This lesions where produced by friction, due to the bac Canula
Meremortalgirl, I am sorry you are going through this and thank you for sharing.
Thank you!!!
There were a few statement made from different providers, nothing conclusive, "maybe the cannula was too close to the skin", lots of weird looks when I told them that the dermatologist said the wound was from a spider bite. I had one provider tell me that the injury did not come from a spider bite, specifically a brown recluse. The first picture was taken approximately 48-72 hrs after the procedure; the wound looked very similar without the blister. The last two pictures, two weeks post procedure. Neosurrealista, I think you are exactly right, cannula friction skin loss with infection. Yanya, no treatment other than vaseline to wound. Thank you Ex, it's been 3 years, several types of treatment for the scar. The wound created a huge divit in my arm, it's actually worse than my arm before surgery. I'm very regretful. Queen, exactly like I said, buyer beware! My feelings are this, this is a skilled dermatologist who specializes in treatments specifically/exclusively for women, had performed over over 5,000 procedures. I seriously doubt I was her first "screw up", I think she knew exactly what happened to me and she should of been honest and up front with me and taken care of my wound and my devastation, but instead, she was adamant that it was caused from a brown recluse spider bite, referred me back to my HMO to treatment and shooed me out of her office as fast as she could.
Did other Drs decide what caused this reaction?
Where this picture taken, the day of the first dressing change( The following day of the procedure), because they look older. To me it seems like a Canula Friction Skin loss. And since is a full skin loss, an scar will be there. That Friction plus a tight dressing, will certainly do the trick. And of course an infection will come in very easy.
Did she not put you on an antibiotic right after surgery?!
I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this. How are you now? Are the sores clearing up?
1800 is cheap