Scarred for Life - San Antonio, TX

I come from a family of women with large upper...

I come from a family of women with large upper arms, also known as bat wings. After much research and consideration, I decided that upper arm liposuction was the best treatment for me. The procedure went fine and after tight bandaging, I was release to go home and rest. The next morning I woke up with a burning sensation on my right upper arm, in between the incision sites. I immediately called Dr. Finder (around 9 am) and told her what I was experiencing and she made arrangements to meet me at her office at noon. After taking the bandage off, (remember this is a tight fitting sleeve over both upper arms connecting in the back), it appeared that I had two blister type wounds forming on the back of my right arm, exactly where the cannula was suctioning in my arm. The sizes of the 3 wounds were approximately (1) 1" x 2.5" and two similar in size 1/4" x 1/2". Dr. Finder's initial reaction seemed to be shocked and unexplainable and then she concluded that my wounds were likely from a spider bite, a brown recluse to be more specific. She stated "that a spider must have somehow gotten in my (tight) bandage and bit me". Now, the wound was not there before the procedure, it wasn't there before I was bandaged up and there was no spider inside the bandage when it was taken off. She strongly persuaded me to research brown recluse spider bites and compare images to my wound. She treated me that day with heavy doses of Vaseline to the wound sites (spider bites) and saw me for two follow-up visits. In the meantime, the wounds were becoming worse and producing a foul odor. After my 3rd f/u visit, she recommended that I follow-up with my primary care doctor and was done with me. These are the pictures of the three wounds that occurred within 24 hrs of receiving liposuction of my upper arms from Dr. Finder.

Do you have any photos of how your arm looks today? Is it almost normal again?
Dear MelloGirl86, Thank you! I'm very sorry to hear about your relative fighting a deadly infection, I hope and pray for the survival and that the outcome is a full recovery. Take care!
Thank you all for your comments, your responses are appreciated! My surgery took place January 2010 and I am still going through treatment trying to minimize the residual scar and divot in my arm. I did receive an email from Dr. Finder on this site as a result of my post and she was very apologetic for losing touch and not following up with me. She has also agreed to refund my money regarding the procedure at my request, although I have not received any form of payment. I am still waiting to her back from her and will post an update as soon as I have additional information. Thank you all again! Mere Mortal Girl (MG)

Full Recovery in Progress

Update pending

What does your arm look like today?
Oops. Just saw your reply below.
Yanya, sorry for the delayed response. My arm is much better after 3 and half years of seeking improvements. I've had numerous procedures after the incident, such as scar revision, multiple laser therapy, and lipo above and below the surgical site. I do have recent pictures, but I can't post at this time. Currently I am in discussions with Dr. Finder, who contacted me after my review was posted.
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon