SmartLipo on Calves and Ankles - Sacramento, CA

Howdy Folks! I have been visiting another forum...

Howdy Folks! I have been visiting another forum for about a week on this subject but I wanted to start my own forum as well to add another personal testimony for this particular area for SmartLipo. As with the other forum, I hadn't found many personal testimonials online about SmartLipo on calves and ankles, I hope this will help others considering this procedure. Please also visit SlimLegs forum at: http://www.realself.com/forum/smart-lipo-knees-calves-ankles#comment-190035 SlimLegs has been a HUGE help to me with support through her own procedure and process. Thank you Slimlegs!

Here's my story: I am 34, 5'1" and 102 lbs. I am petite but curvy, except in my calves and ankles. This is an area I have tried to exercise, diet and even had mesotherapy done to help bring shape into my lower legs but of course, nothing worked because it's my genetics. On both sides of my family the women have heavier lower legs, it was written in my DNA and I knew some form of liposuction was the only answer.

I have been doing an extensive amount of research on liposuction for about 6 or 7 years now for my "cankles" and earlier this summer I decided to pursue the SmartLipo path. The main attraction for me is the local anesthesia, I am freaked out by general. All my research led me to a Surgery date of September 21, 2011.

I'll catch you up to date as I am in Post-Op Day 4 today and will continue to document my recovery in hopes to help others.

9.21.2011 - Surgery Date
I was very nervous this day. I have never had any surgery outside of dental work and my only stitches have been with wisdom teeth, so this was quite an event for me. Once I arrived and was checked in at the front desk, I took a pregnancy test (understandable) and went into the pre-op room where I met with the nurse first. The nurse took my before pictures, weight, blood pressure and gave me the following: antibiotic, ativan (anti anxiety), percocet and an anti-nausea. She explained everything to me and why I was taking each item as well as asked me questions about antibiotics I can take and pain meds for my prescriptions. I was appreciative of her finding a pain med for me that wouldn't be to strong for my size and considering I do not take medication very often.
Shortly after, Dr. Shideler came in to draw on my legs and talk to me about the procedure. 20 minutes later, I walked down to the surgery room to get things started.

The nurses hooked me up to all the monitors (blood pressure, heart and finger) and a few minutes later, they asked me if I was nervous and to take a few deep breaths. I know this was being my heart was racing like crazing! They continued to talk to me to help calm me down and then the ativan started kicking in, thankfully.

The actual procedure itself was not bad at all. I would say the most uncomfortable thing was the beginning with the lidocaine solution. It was not necessarily painful but more of a massive pressure feeling; kind of like the feeling when you have your blood pressure taken on your arm. I was surprised that the cannula vibrated and it actually felt like a giant tattoo gun (I have tattoos) and it kind of felt like a deep massage with the vibrations.

The doctor and nurses were great, talking with me and explaining each step, they played music for me, made sure the room was warm and I loved being awake. The doctor would hold up my leg here and there for me to see the progress and I loved saying good-bye to the fat as it was being dumped into the container! My procedure took about 2 - 2.5 hours, which flew by quickly and I believe they ended up sucking out a little less than 2Liters of fat and other liquids (solution/blood etc). They put maxipads on my incisions, ace bandages (I have garments already at home) and off to the post-op room I went.

Post-op was great. The nurse was thorough on what I would be expecting over the next couple of days, gave me a little care package with extra maxipads, antibiotic ointment and "discharge" instructions, along with my doctor's mobile number.

I went home and rested with my legs elevated.

9.22.2011 - Post-op(PO) Day 1
I worked PO-Day 1 but only because I have the benefit of being able to work from home when needed. If, I had to go into the office, I would not have worked Thursday nor Friday. My legs still felt numb but I could definitely feel the deep soreness in my calf muscles. After sitting for a bit with my legs elevated, it felt like I had done 200 toe-lifts the day before. It's a very deep overall muscle soreness/tightness. But once I was moving a about for a few minutes, they would loosen up and feel much better. I am actually surprised that it isn't more painful but happy it's not! My incisions were left open to allow for drainage so I had to change my maxipads a couple of times during the day. I also had been told to put on my knee-hi compression stockings which then caused my inner knees to start swelling and bruise. After speaking with the nurse, I put on my full length compression stockings, this definitely helped with the swelling. I was swollen right away in the ankles but I could see the difference right I away! I knew this might change based on what Slimlegs has posted and what the doctor told me but it was awesome see a difference right away! I didn't want to take the percocet so I took Extra Strength Tylenol and was fine. I don't feel that I need a heavy pain med at all.

9.23.2011 - PO-Day 2
I was definitely more sore this day. I think partly from the lidocaine solution draining and wearing off even though they still feel numb but that is expected. I made myself get up and walk around a bit more on the second day to help with my tightness in my calves. I switched to Ibuprofen to help with the swelling and still have the pain relief. I didn't notice a difference between the Tylenol and IB with pain, they both did the same amount of relief. I was also surprised at how tired I was this day, I napped more than I did on Day 1. I was pretty much done with the drainage so I did not have to wear the maxipads anymore.

9.24.2011 - PO-Day 3
I have to say, day 3 was the best my legs felt. I was trying to be a bit more active with walking around the house and I even used the stairs! My muscles felt more loose yesterday than the previous two days. I also had a dinner party that had been planned for months that I attended. I was really nervous about how I was going to feel walk, etc but I did just fine. I still walked slow and a bit like a granny but it was fine. I was up on my feet a lot and noticed I started swelling more so I'll have to take it easy on Day 4. I did forget to mention that on Day 1 and Day 2, the clinic emailed me tips/expectations for the first 4 days post op, which I thought was very helpful. I also called my nurse on Day 1 and Day 2 with questions and she was very helpful.

9.25.2011 - PO-Day 4
So, I think I overdid it yesterday with the dinner party and today I am the most swollen that I have been. I also washed my garments today and while they are air drying, I am also letting my legs "air dry", which means I am swelling. I will put my garments back on shortly, the instructions are to wear the garments for at least 12 hours Days 4 - 10. My muscles still feel like they are loosening up and not as sore/tight as they were the first couple of days. My incisions are healing up nicely, so I hope to not have any scars. Since, I was quite active yesterday, I am going to take it easy today and keep my legs elevated for a bit but I'll still walk around to keep the healing process moving along. I also noticed I have a lot of bruising, which really doesn't surprise me, I already bruise very easily. I think taking Arnica is helping the huge bruises on my inner knees from the knee-hi stockings. I'll keep taking arnica to help with the bruising, they are nasty looking. :-)

Now you're up to date! I'll keep you posted on my recovery and please feel free to ask or message me any questions!

I'll continue to post pictures and recovery info. Have a super day!

9.29.2011 - PO-wk 1 Hey there! I had my PO-wk 1...

9.29.2011 - PO-wk 1
Hey there! I had my PO-wk 1 visit yesterday. Everything is healing on schedule. I notice I started a ton of swelling PO-Day 5 and yesterday was the most I have been swollen. I am still fairly stiff and tight but I notice the toughest times are first thing in the morning and at the end of the day after I've been walking around most of the day. I still have a ton of bruising and I still have the intense pressure and sunburn feeling in my legs. I run cold water over then in the shower and do some cold compresses here and there during the day and this helps the sunburn feeling. I was told this is caused from the swelling and the nerves repairing themselves from the procedure. My legs are are also still numb feeling but I gaining more sensation as each day passes. If anything changes I'll post something otherwise I'll post again on week 2! Take care!

10.05.2011 - PO-wk 2
Howdy folks! Today is my post-op week 2, YAY!!! I definitely feel much better than I did the first week, thankfully. Over the last week, I have noticed much of my bruising has healed but it's still healing. I do not have nearly as much swelling as I did the first week, however, my feet and ankles still swell a lot by the end of the day. I had to buy two pairs of shoes that my swollen feet can be comfy in but thankfully they are still cute! The mornings are best since I am not nearly as swollen as the end of the day but this is to be expected. Getting up in the morning is easier, I still have that intense throbbing but over the last couple of days I have noticed it is not as intense and it lasts for maybe 15 seconds compared to the minute or two before. My muscles are also not as tight as they were previously, so the first few steps in the morning are not nearly as painful, they don't feel as though the muscle is ripping but still some discomfort. The heat in my legs has also lessened. Running cold water over them twice a day really helps. My incisions are nearly healed and I can start to use scar cream soon. I have noticed the hard lumps they said I would see and started gentle massage, which is suppose to help this. I still have that "heavy" feeling with pressure but it's not as intense as it was last week. I have also stopped wearing the heavy duty compression garments and have moved to wear light support, mostly during the day while I am most active. I am walking more normal than before but still not quite back to normal normal. I plan to start walking a bit more around my neighborhood and I'm going to start incorporating some of my workout around arms and abs that involved light leg movements this week.

I added two new pictures for my before and I updated with three pictures I took this morning when I am not as swollen.

I'll keep posting as the weeks go by or if there is some major change. Take Care until then!

9.29.2011 - PO-wk 1 Hey there! I had my PO-wk 1...

9.29.2011 - PO-wk 1

10.05.2011 - PO-wk 2

10.12.11 - PO-wk 3 Hey folks, today is post-op...

10.12.11 - PO-wk 3
Hey folks, today is post-op week 3! Moving around and swelling has drastically improved since week 2. I still have some slight swelling by the end of the day but it is minimal compared to what I was during week 2. My bruising is pretty much almost healed and my incisions are improving every day.

The intense throbbing in the morning has really decreased and I barely notice it in the mornings. I am also pretty much walking normal again; going down stairs is still tricky. I still have the hard lumps and I'm massaging 2 - 3 times a day; these are expected and may last for a few months.

Each day I see some slight improvement and definitely very happy I went through with this procedure.

I added a photo for my week 3 below. Cheers!

PO week 4 - 7 Hey there! I apologize for not...

PO week 4 - 7

Hey there! I apologize for not updating the last few weeks, it's been super busy with the Halloween holiday!

The last few weeks have pretty much been similar. I can walk and exercise normally and when I'm on my feet too long, my feet and ankles still swell a bit but not so much that I cannot wear shoes. I still have some swelling at the end of a normal day.

I am still massaging my legs a couple of times of day. One of them is a lymphatic massage to help with the remaining swelling and hard spots. I notice the hard spots are starting to smooth out, thankfully.

I am very happy with my results thus far and cannot wait until the swelling is completely gone! I feel like I am in the home stretch but at the same time I have plateaued a bit with the swelling. This is probably why they say 3 - 6 months to see full results.

I wore a dress to work the other day and it's the first time I have worn one without tall boots! I was super happy and I find myself excited to shop for dresses and skirts.

I posted week 4 and 6 photos. I'll update with more photos next week as it will be week 8 post op!!!

Oh and I still have not gained all the sensation...

Oh and I still have not gained all the sensation in my skin below my calf. But I feel like it's slightly improving on the inside and back of my ankle area.

03.20.12 - PO-mth 6 Howdy!!!! I am technically...

03.20.12 - PO-mth 6

Howdy!!!! I am technically about 7 months post-op now but thought I'd add all my info with pictures from my PO -mth 3 and 6.

I cannot be any happier with my current results!!! I love love the shape of my "new legs"! I still have a little swelling when I am on my feet for the majority of the day but I think that is pretty normal regardless of this procedure.

I still do not have all of my skin sensation back in the lower bottom parts of my ankles but I know I am still healing and it seems to get better each month, it's pretty much almost back entirely just a few spots are still a little numb.

My incisions around my ankle are still dark (I have olive skin tone) even though I have been using Mederma for quite some time. I decided to try a new product called Scar Away, which are patches I wear for 12 hours and those seem to be fading the incisions pretty quickly. I've only used them for about two weeks and can already see a major difference compared to Mederma.

I do have some brownish marks left from the lidocaine on the inside of my left calf (you can see them in the PO - mth 6 side picture). I am calling my surgeon about this to see if he recommends something that will make them fade. If, not then oh well, they are not too bad and I still do not regret having the surgery.

I have bought so many dresses and can't wait for summer to show off my new legs!!

I highly recommend this surgery to anyone that has thick ankles/calves! The healing is the hardest the first couple of weeks but if you can get through that it's smooth sailing afterwards!

My best wishes to everyone that decides to go through with this surgery and feel free to send me a personal message or comment on my post and I will continue to respond when I can.

Cheers!

Post Op - 1.5 years

Hi All!

I am adding a photo from my one year post-op last September and I'll add another one for my 2 year post-op this September.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my legs. I can't even believe at how good they turned out! There is not a day that goes by where I regret this surgery, I am so very happy I went through with it.

Any little hard lumps I had left over have gone, all of my incisions are healed and the scars are so light, you don't even really see them and all skin sensation at my lower ankles has returned! The only lingering thing I have from the surgery are some light brown marks on the inside of my left upper ankle region. I am not sure what caused it and I still need to contact the doctor to see if there is anything I can do to heal it completely. If not, it's not so noticeable so it probably doesn't matter.

Best wishes to all of you ladies that have decided to consider or go through with this surgery, it is definitely worth it in my eyes.

Please feel free to always contact me with any questions!

Post Op 1 year - front view

Dr. Blynn L Shideler

The staff is awesome at Sono Bello where my procedure was performed. Suzanne (patient care consultant), Amy (Nurse), Jessica & Amanda (receptionists) have all been extraordinary with me. They have been great with answering all of my questions, I had a ton believe me, and continue to be supportive through my recovery. In the beginning, there was a bit of mix up with doctors and I ended up with Dr. Shideler and I couldn't be more happy! He has been great with me since the beginning, answered all my questions, eased my worries and was up front and honest with me about my procedure being a difficult and more of a specialized area. I really appreciated the honesty from him. He had done my procedure (calves & ankles) many other times so I felt very confident with him as my doctor, not to mention all the other experience he has. Dr. Shideler has a great sense of humor and told me exactly what he was doing during the procedure. I really enjoyed this part because I love operation/surgery stuff and it helped calm my nerves (along with the drugs) during the surgery. I'd recommend Sono Bello and Dr. Shideler to anyone that is in the Sacramento/Bay Area in California. Thank you Dr. Shideler, Suzanne, Amy, Jessica and Amanda! I wanted to add a few more thoughts after I've had some time to think about my experience at SB. I still feel the same the same way about the staff and doctor but I do feel their process is backwards. I did not meet the doctor until two weeks before my procedure and at that point, he could have told me I was not a candidate; I would have been crushed if that were the case. To wait that long from the time I booked the appointment to the first meeting of the doctor, is too long to have your hopes up about the procedure. I think you should meet their patient care consultant, then within a week or even before you BOOK & PAY for your procedure, you should then meet the doctor to determine if you like the doctor or if you truly are a candidate, THEN book and pay for your procedure. Even though everything worked out for me, I can see how it would have been devastating if it hadn't worked out with their current process.

Lulugrrl u can't even begin to imagine how relieved i am to finally find a post like yours....Iv always had full legs with a slim body which i didn't mind at 1st, but after 2 kids now, my legs have gone from full to ridiculously fat! Ive been researching for ages for a good doctor that will perform the surgery on me, seeing as it is a very sensitive area, cos i wouldn't want my already fat legs damaged any further #coversface# Your story is so amazing! and ur legs are gorgeous!!! Im so inspired and excited to go down same road... I will get right to contacting your doctor asap! Looking forward to being able to wear skirts without feeling self conscious and also being able to wear jeans without looking like my legs were stuffed into them! I will definitely keep you posted....
Hi Chi1! Congrats on making the decision to research this procedure and move forward with it! It will definitely change your life! I completely know how you feel. That was actually one my questions to the doctors, would they recommend doing the procedure before or after children and they recommended before. I knew my husband and I would be starting the whole baby thing within the year so I jumped on it and did it before. I highly recommend looking for a surgeon that has experience in the calf/ankle area because it is so sensitive and a small area, you want someone that knows the right technique. Thank you! Thank you! I am sooooooo happy and thrilled with my results. I have bought so many dresses, skirts and shorts since having this surgery and I don't feel any embarrassment at all! I've received so many compliments as well. In fact, my best friend's father saw a photo of the two of us in dresses, and he commented on how nice my legs looked and he didn't remember noticing my legs before. I've know him for 25 years! So, it made me feel really good that it was something he noticed after my surgery, which he knew nothing about. Please let me know if you have any further questions in your journey. Best wishes!
Lulugrrl, I live close to Sacramento and looked up your surgeon and to my surprise his facility has been shut down by the health department. :-( so looks like the search is still on. Did your legs ever swell before the surgery that is? My legs look like ur before photos and mine always swell. This is the most embarrassing spot on my body, my legs. I'm small weigh 130 but my ankles are big way to big. I can't wait to finally get them done next year after I have my baby!! Thank you for sharing your story. P.S. do you think insurance would cover this since its so painful to walk sometimes and the swelling?
Hey Lulugrrl, just as prettyeyes commented, I checked out the doctor online and found out the facility has been shut down, so yea - the search continues...:ave 2 doctors I'm checking out now...about to set up a consultation for next week...will keep you posted Glad to hear your rocking them legs:-) Can't wait to do same#excited#much!
Hi prettyeyes0904, The Sono Bello Sacramento office is still open. They actually moved offices last year, maybe that caused confusion? I actually just called the Sacramento office to confirm they are still open and they've never been shutdown by the health department. Here is their new location and phone #: 1750 Howe Avenue Suite 500 Sacramento, CA 95825 P: (916) 604-4543. I did however ask if Dr. Shideler (my surgeon) was still working with them and they said he retired just last year, so he is no longer practicing. Bummer, he was amazing. I am sure if you call them, they may be able to refer you to another doctor in their practice that performs the same procedure. YES! My legs swelled at least 2 inches by the end of the day! I I totally understand how you feel, I felt the same way. Congrats on your baby and making the decision on having the procedure when the timing is right. I am not sure about the insurance. If you're able to get a doctor's note with some sort of edema diagnosis and stating that they recommend the surgery, you can check with your insurance and see what they say before committing to the surgery. I know insurance companies are stinkers so not sure it will work but no harm in trying.
Hi Chi1 You may see my reply to prettyeyes but I thought I'd reply directly to you as well. I called Sono Bello in Sacramento and they are not closed and haven't been closed since they opened up several years ago. They moved offices, which maybe could have caused some confusion online? Not sure. I did confirm that my surgeon retired last year, which is a bummer. Are you in the Bay Area or are you thinking you'll travel to whatever doctor you feel is the best for this procedure? I remember going through the search, it took me a bit of time when I first started my research a few years before I had the surgery. Yay! Congrats on setting up your consultations! That is a big step towards your final goal! I am very excited for you. Thank you! Yes, keep me posted. I am so happy to hear others are pursuing this surgery, hopefully it will become more common and help all of us out there. Cheers and best wishes!
Hey lulugrrl, Thank you for getting back to me. I actually called last year and that's when a lady on the phone said there office was being closed by the health dept because of a lot of lawsuits. Not sure of her name but I googled it myself and it said sono bello was officially closed. But I'm thinking that they moved to have a fresh start!! I'm not sure what's true LOL. I'm going to Google them now and see the new plastic surgeon and office! Super excited that they are opened now, there might still be hope!! Thank You again
Hi prettyeyes, Oh my! That is not good! I am not sure either, I bet there are a lot of politics with a place like that. :) When I called, it went to main 800 line and I asked to be connected with the Sacramento office. If you do that, I am sure they will connect you as well. Good luck and I hope they have someone to help you at that location. Are you willing to travel to the Bay Area? I bet there are several SmartLipo surgeons that will perform on the calf/ankle. Just a thought in case Sacramento doesn't have someone for you. Best Wishes!
Hi Lulugrrl, Yea I saw your reply. The thing is I'm just looking for the best doctor for the procedure regardless of location(tho some states are preferred tho) I looked up Dr Shafer in NY, so I'll see how my consultation goes and what's achievable. Thanks:-) Will def kip you posted
Sad Legs- I went to three surgeons in the end and one said exactly the same as the one you saw- that the swelling would not make the procedure worth it (the other two agreed to do it but one was a dermatologist and not a plastic surgeon). It does seem (Lulugrrl may be able to concur) that this procedure is relatively new and, given the susceptibility of the area to swelling, it requires a experienced and highly skilled surgeon. As I said from day one I could see the results straight away although as I mentioned to you I still experience swelling at the end of the day. My incisions are tiny- they could almost pass as freckles and they are fading as I am putting rosehip oil on them. My surgeon also wanted me to go under for the procedure. I haven't got my shorts/skirts out just yet as it is winter here but in a couple of months...!!!!
I am really happy with my recovery. I do have little lumpy bits around my ankles (I think little pieces of scar tissue) but I have been massaging them twice a day and they are definitely going away. I think being active again is also helping them. Did you find that too Lulugrrl?
Thanks so much for being here! Hmmm...that doesn't sound so bad. Does this mean you're wearing skirts comfortably? I had one surgeon tell me that he wouldn't do it because he didn't think my results would be good enough to justify the long period of swelling and recovery. Very discouraging
Hi Sad Legs,
I am now 8 weeks post op and I still do get swelling every day at the end of the day. It is worse if I have had a full on day on my feet. The swelling is noticable to me (it is quite uncomfortable) but my legs still definitely look smaller. They did even from day one. I think I have been quite lucky though as my feet never swelled up either so I didn't have to get new shoes or anything like that. One reason for that could be that I only had my ankles done, not my calves or knees. I am also still wearing my compression socks non-stop despite my doctor saying I could stop at 6weeks (it is winter here so not a big inconvenience).
I definitely do not regret this procedure at all. Feel free to ask any other questions.
Good luck with your decision!
Congrats on your 8 weeks!!! How are you doing? So happy to hear you do not regret doing this procedure!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!
Wow! I want lulugirl's legs. Anyone know of a surgeon in Toronto who does this procedure? I desperately want my ankles done. Anyone who regrets doing this???? I'm also wondering if the swelling at end of day was so bad you couldn't wear skirts, around the 3 month mark. Thanks everyone for the advice!!!!
Hi Sad Legs,

Thank you I am very happy with my results!!! I do not know of a surgeon in Toronto. This is what II did was look on the smartlipo website for surgeons in my area and then I called/emailed them all to find out if any of them did the ankle/calves area.

I absolutely have no regrets doing this procedure at all. This summer has been awesome wearing shorts and skirts without having any embarrassment about my legs. I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am and what a great feeling it is.

I would say that by my 3 month post-op, I still had some swelling at the end of the day but it was minimal. I went to a wedding and wore tights with a short dress and really high heels and my ankles were a little swollen by then of the night but I only noticed the swelling, my husband and friend that knew about the surgery couldn't see the swelling.

Everyone heals differently but I think the swelling does take some time to go completely away. I am actually ally prone to swelling even before the surgery, something else that is in my genetics but it is far less than before the surgery and it really doesn't show much to others, I just know my body and know when I swell.

I wish you the best, let me know if you have any questions!!
Hi there Lulugrrl!
How are things going with you now? I bet you are wearing a miniskirt every day of the week now!
I am having my op on Monday! Right now I am pretty excited but I think this may turn to nerves over the next few days. I am actually being put under for my procedure as part of the reason for my operation is that I have some scar tissue that has built up from a sporting injury andthis has disfigured one of my ankles. I am getting the procedure on both legs though so they will be symmetrical, and slim- like you I didn't have much luck in the way of genetics, even before the injury!
Any last minute tips?!!!!
Hi again,
I am now nearly 1 week post-op and am already amazed with the results. I can already see that my legs are much slimmer and I don't have that much swelling at all. Having said that, I only had the procedure done around my ankles (not my calves) and I have been wearing the compression garments pretty much non-stop since they operated on them. I have also been drinking heaps of water and taking arnica orally so maybe they are having a bearing on my recovery too?
Only one concern I have is I seem to be getting lines across my ankles where the compression garments crease. Did you find this too? After all this trouble I certainly don't want them to heal this way!!!
Hope all is well with you :-)
Hi Tairiver!!!

I am so sorry I didn't see your previous post, not sure why it didn't email me!! So happy for you to have had th surgery!!

I did see those crease lines as well from the compression stockings and they did NOT heal that way.....thankfully!

How are you doing?? I hope your recovery is coming along nicely and you are starting to see some of your real results.

Hope you are well and wishing you a speedy recovery!
Hey Tairiver!!!

Thank you so much! I am really very happy with the work the surgeon did, it's seriously such a dramatic difference I am still just so amazed!

YAY! Congrats on setting up your surgery date! I hope my post will help you but please feel free to contact me with any question after your surgery.

Cheers and best wishes for your recovery!
Wow lulugrrl. What amazing results! Your legs look so natural too. No wonder you have bought up large on skirts! I have my op at the end of May. So looking forward to my results (although not the op so much!)
Thank you for your great post and pics! (I also read Slimlegs post, by the way ;o) I am looking to have this done in the fall and I am amazed by your pics...looks great! I have a slim figure but big calves and legs and no amount of exercise makes a difference. My mom has them, my gram had them...arg! I've read as much as I can find on this procedure- and it isn't much. I can't seem to find a qualified PS for this procedure in my area and most likely will have to do it another city. I will keep checking back...looks great-congrats!
Hi Kansas!

Thank you! Congrats on making the decision to move forward with the procedure! It's scary and nerve racking but I am sooooo thankful everyday that I went through with it.

I have the same family history on both sides of my family; women all have thick calves and ankles...I was destined to have them, ugh ugh ugh.

I'll post my 3 mth picture shortly and soon I'll be having my 6 mth post op check up and I'll post that picture as well.

Feel free to ask or message me any questions.
Hi There,
Thanks for step by step explaining about your precedure. My leg looks exactly like your befors pics. I have always wanted to be able to wear dress, shorts, skirt and boots but due to my heavy lower legs I have always only dreamed of.
I am Planning to get my lipo in 3 months in Toronto. I have to get lipo on ankle, Knee, calf and probably above my knees. I am so afraid of general anesthesia but not sure if I can get lipo on all under local. would you think if I go on diet for next three months It might help at all(in terms of having less painful surgery or shoreter in length)? I have never had any surgery even for my teeth, I am not sure if I can stay calm under local anesthesia do you have any suggestions? would you think if I divide the surgery in two different session one month apart then I will have less pain?
I would appreciate if you can give me some hint; or some fact that I should consider before choosing the right doctor for this precedure.
thanks
Sophie.
Hi SepidehSanaz,
I am sorry for my delayed response, I've had a really hectic last couple of months and wasn't really checking my email.

I would recommend doing it all at once if you can. I personally wouldn't want to go through the healing twice. I think if you do the surgery in two phases, you'd have to wait a few months between surgeries to allow for some adequate healing but your surgeon can confirm that with you.

I had never been under any general anesthesia before either which is why I wanted to do this procedure with local. I was really nervous at first but they give you an anti-anxiety and pain killer just before the surgery and it really helps to relax you, you'll be fine.

Finding the right doctor is key, I'd definitely look for a surgeon that has experience with the smartlipo on the calves and ankle area specifically. This is a tricky area and I wouldn't want it to be a doctor's first time on me.

I did a little diet before my surgery and lost about 4 lbs, I figured that would help no matter what, not sure if it really did or not but I am glad I did it.

I hope you found the right doctor and let me know if you have any other questions. Congrats on making the decision to move forward with this procedure. I am so thankful every day that I did it.
Hi there,
Just wondering how things are going for you now? Have you pulled out the miniskirts yet?!!! I am now booked in to have this procedure next year! Was wondering if you considered taking arnica before your op to help with the healing? Also did you research any massage to help healing and ease swelling?
Thanks so much