Now I Have the Stomach I've Always Wanted, but Never Had; Even Before 3 Children! - Sacramento, CA

I have always had a pooch on my lower belly, even...

I have always had a pooch on my lower belly, even before having 3 children. I was just ready to have it gone for good, and Dr. K did that for me. He is like a human form of a god to me, recreating & sculpting women's bodies. He didn't just give me my pre-baby body back, he gave me the body I've never had.

As young as 12 years old I remember having a low hanging belly. Even when I lost weight and was down to 112 lbs (5 years ago) the belly was still there. Losing weight alone never did or could have achieved the results that Dr. K was able to with this full tummy tuck. Two weeks before surgery I had my pre-op appointment, and did bloodwork in the lab upstairs from his suite (included in the surgery cost). I was given a list of prescriptions to get filled the week before surgery, and brought those with me the day of surgery.

I was told to not eat or drink anything 12 hours prior to surgery. I actually ate very lite the day before, things like soup and juice from my juicer. I think this really helped, since with all the meds you will not be able to have a bowel movement for a few days after post op. I actually had purchased milk of magnesia for after the surgery, as other reviews have suggested, and had that on hand to help the process of inducing a bowel movement post-op. I had a patch for anti-nausea that I put on the night before surgery, and never threw up or got sick post surgery. I left the patch on for 3 days.

So I was nervous about Anesthesia (who isn't?). But it was nothing. The nurse even gave me a local anesthetic quick shot in the hand to numb, prior to putting in the IV for the anesthesia. (Wish my OBGYN would have down that for the IV during the birth of my children, those things can really hurt). The IV was put in my hand & I didn't feel a thing. Then I walked into the surgery room, and they put in the anesthesia medicine, and I was asleep in a few seconds. I woke up a few hours later & don't remember a thing from the surgery.

Immediately after surgery I felt no pain, None! The meds they give during surgery must be really strong. I felt like I was able to move more than I should have been, so I suggest really resting that first night; since you will feel like you're not sore. My ride came to pick me up, and came in and the nurse explained how to empty my three drains that were from my lower abdomen area. ( I actually emptied them myself & the catheter bag, since my help wasn't all that attentive) I also had a catheter in, that they put in after I was asleep on anesthesia; and that stayed in till my post op appointment the day after surgery. It was actually very helpful, as I didn't have to get up to pee & could just rest all day and night. I had soup and other easy stuff to feed myself; since I was really on my own the week after surgery. Would have been easier to have help, but it can be done on your own.

First 24 hrs did require someone to be there to help me per Doctors orders. So on day 1,2 & 3 post-op upon waking up let me say, the pain is intense. You just have to stay on top of the pain meds, and take them every 4 hrs. Even in the middle of the night I woke up to take them to preemtively help for that first morning getting out of bed feeling. On day 3 the drains were removed, and then I only had to wear the compression wrap. I didn't experience any blood oozing onto my sheets at night or clothing, as some other reviews from patients of other surgeons have reported on this site.

The key is to follow the two week pre-op instructions of not drinking alcohol or taking blood thinners like advil. On April 8th I went back to school (not advised by the Dr., but you can do it). I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to go to a 9-5 job yet, even a desk job. I only had 1 or 2 classes each morning, so I was able to be home by noon and rest. Since they do advise taking 2 weeks off, I took it easy during that time, even with classes. I didn't carry a backpack or lift anything heavy. Now at 20 days post-op I'm still sore, and taking 1/2 - 1 pain pill per day (that really helps, advil or tylenol just wasn't providing the pain management when I've tried it). I am able to walk around alot now, and was at Picnic Day at UC Davis yesterday & walked all around campus.

I was sore at the end of the day, so I rested. I am still wearing the compression garment, which helps to keep the swelling down and provide support. I will post before pics, which are just embarassing. No amount of girdles or spanx ever held that belly in, and was obvious even with clothes on. I am really happy with the results, and have been told that I am still swollen, so the final results in the next 9-12 mos should be even better. I advise the healing diet post surgery, which consists of a lot of vegetables, soups, and salad. I did lose 40 lbs in the last year prior to surgery by juicing and eliminating wheat and refined sugar from my diet. It is advised to be as close to your ideal weight prior to surgery for the best results and to lower risk. The higher the BMI, the higher the risks during surgery. I was still about 15 lbs over my goal weight at surgery, yet the results are better than I expected. I found physicians in Davis, but chose Dr. K for his expertise; and his office is only 20 minutes away. I would highly recommend this physician and his staff for anyone seeking a tummy tuck in the Sacramento region.

Just posted pictures that were taken at 21 days...

Just posted pictures that were taken at 21 days post op. I am happy with the results. At the end of the day my stomach is more swollen, than upon wakening; but that is just part of the healing process. A note I meant to mention in my original review: It is handy to have a yeast infection treatment (3 day Monistat or whatever you choose) purchased prior to surgery. On day 6, I developed an uncomfortable yeast infection, likely due to the strong antibiotics for surgery and post surgery healing. It was not easy getting out to the drug store to buy at that point in the recovery process. Hope this helps any ladies prepare prior to surgery.

feeling good now

Now It's almost 2 mos post op and I'm feeling great. The tenderness at the incision area is nearly gone. I am and have been back to all my normal activities and exercises for a few weeks now. I am very happy with the results.
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Calkin referred me to him, for Tummy Tuck with Lipo, after I consulted with her about having her do Lipo for my lower abdomen in her office. She gave me her professional opinion, and let me know that Lipo alone would not give me the results I was trying to achieve. Dr. K is an experienced and talented physician. He has seen it all, and has the knowledge & training to give the results that are only possible with a skilled physician. He keeps up to the minute on new training & techniques, as was evidenced to me by his use of Tumescent fluid during my surgery. This technique greatly reduces post operative pain. I had my initial consultation in early to mid March, and was able to schedule surgery for April 1st. A 10% deposit was required to book the surgery date. His office is impeccably clean & the sanitary standards clearly exceed requirements.

These before photos were taken 1-2 weeks before surgery, at my actual surgery weight.
Amazing. I contacted this office and attached this story of yours. Crazy good results! Muscle repair and lipo? Or just tummy tuck?
Full tummy tuck, muscle repair and lipo. It's been 8 months now, and I couldn't be happier. When I have a chance I'll add new pics. My tone has gotten even better and all the swelling has gone down. I highly recommend Dr K's office for this procedure. He is professional, the staff is accomodating and I felt comfortable and well taken care of there. Wish I had done this procedure years ago.
I am definitely making an appointment for consultation because of YOUR story. I would love to see a close up of your belly button. The belly button is what bothers me the most on all the 'after' pics. Some look terribly distorted. Also your scar was nice and low although I know that is never guaranteed. I appreciate your story. It is hard to find stories of people who somewhat match yours.
I will add a picture of the belly button in the next couple days, when I have a chance. I'm busy with finals at UCD at the moment. Dr K has over 30 yrs experience & previously assured me he places the scar as low as possible. On day of surgery he will draw the lines on you so you can see before. If your shape now is close to my before pics, then your scar would likely be in the same place. My belly button is now thin & long, not wide & open like it used to be. By long I mean same size but the opening is top to bottom like a key hole. (If that makes sense) I have heard of women doing the "marble" trick, & placing a marble inside the hole to help its shape. The scars around my belly button are almost healed. I use wheat germ oil on my scars 2x per day. Works better than mederma. I too have seen some badly distorted belly buttons, probably done by surgeons with much less years of experience. The way I look at it, is now I love the way I look with clothes on & clothes off is pretty decent too. No man has noticed my scar with dim lights or have they said they felt it. In my opinion, I'd risk a funky looking belly button over living with a large buldging pooch tummy any day. Keep in mind, he books out a bit in advance. You will probably have to wait 4-6 was after your consultation for your surgery date. It was so worth the wait though. Best present you can give yourself.
I agree. Thank you!
I was curious if these before pics are before you lost weight or just before surgery?
you are looking wonderful!!!
Thank you for your review. I actually had an appointment with him last year. He is honest and told me he could not guarantee how low the scar would be until surgery day. But also advise me to lose weight first to get the best results. So far I've lost 20 lbs and have 20 lbs to go. Hope you continue to update your progress. :)
Thank you for your comment. He also had advised me to lose weight, and as you can see from my before pictures I really didn't lose the amount of weight I intended to prior to surgery. I was approx 150lbs & am 5'1... So about 30 lbs over my ideal weight. The results were still better than I expected. I've actually lost about 15 lbs after surgery over the last 2 mos. The surgery itself took about 5-7 lbs of skin and fat from the lower abdomen. The tummy tuck tightened everything including my intestines (or at least pulled the muscles in so much that the intestines feel full much sooner when I eat meals). Consequently I eat less since the surgery and it is much easier to exercise without a large hanging lower belly. Good luck on your continued weight loss. I'm trying to tone and lose more weight for swimsuit season, and have been avoiding wheat & sugar. That has really helped me shed the pounds.
Thanks you. Its nice to see Dr.K work in action cause his website isn't that great. I'm 5'4 and 170 lbs. Dr.K wants me to be at least 150 lbs for best results. Its a work in progress. Happy healing :)

You look fantastic!!

Really nice results!!
You look awesome!
Thank you!
Thank you so much for sharing in such detail. I appreciate it! My surgery is tomorrow and I am nervous but so excited!!! Our body types are very similar and I hope I have a great turnout like you! You look great! :-)
I hope you are feeling well & recovering from your surgery. Please share your story & post pictures. This is a journey, and I'm grateful for the support this site provides.