I Would Do It Again - Sacramento, CA

With both of my sisters gone from breast cancer, I...

With both of my sisters gone from breast cancer, I needed to make a decision regarding my own health. With the help of my family, I decided to have a double masectomy. I can now rest easy and know I will be around for my children and grandchildren. To be able to sleep at night without the worry of my next mamagram is wonderful! The one thing that I wish I knew beforehand is to not get into a hot tub. Not even my own.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

I had seen several doctors before I made my decision. Dr. Mabourakh and his staff made me feel welcome and they answered all my questions with a smile and a respectful manner. My calls were answered or returned with little wait time. I would hope that all women facing breast cancer or like in my case, a high risk to breast cancer could receive the care and consideration that Dr. Mabourakh and his staff gave to me. Dr Mabourakh and his staff were there for me from start to finish. I was treated with respect for my decision and was given everything I needed to make the decision to also have Breast Reconstruction.

It has been 2 weeks since my implant surgery. A little sore but the incisions are healed. I will see Dr. Mabourakh in about a week to discuss what is next. I feel great and so glad I can wear t-shirts. It has been a long road (6 months) but I would still do it again. If you need a Dr. that cares about his patients see Dr. Mabourakh!

Wow, Iosing  both your sisters...my goodness, I can only imagine what a heavy blow that was. I'm so glad you were proactive with your health.

I would love it if you would share a bit more about your experience with the reconstruction, and what that was like for you.

Also, can you fill us in a bit more on what happened with the hot tub? Did you get an infection from it?

I am almost done. Dr. Mabourakh says I still have some decisions to make but we have time. I had expanders put in on the same day that I had surgery. No it was not easy but it was the best way. Dr. Mabourakh made sure I was comfortable and we started the "fills" the next week. My incisions were pretty healed but I had 2 little scabs left. I was having some muscle spasms so instead of taking more medication I jumped into our hot tub. It felt wonderful. The problem is, even though we drained the hot tub, cleaned it with bleach, refilled it and did all the chemicals correctly, bacteria still lives in 103 degree water. I got an infection and it took about 3 months to get it under control.

Oh my gosh, and here you are trying to do something positive by attempting to manage the pain with a soak in the hot tub and avoid more pain meds, and that happens. :( I'm so glad you shared that with us. I know others will benefit by reading that and learning to stay out of the hot tub!

Please continue to update us on how you are doing as you finish up your reconstruction.