Gastric Bypass Was Worth All the Pain and Money - Rockville Centre, NY

I kept gaining weight the more I tried to lose it....

I kept gaining weight the more I tried to lose it. Carrying around an extra person in poundage took a huge toll on my psyche, my confidence, my back and knees. I was desperate and fearful that I wouldn't even make it to retirement at the rate I was going so I cashed in my retirement investment and had RNY in March 2009.

I will not lie and say that it didn't hurt. It did. The recovery was painful for me and learning to eat again was brutal in my case. I'm still learning over a year later. It's important to remember to pay attention to what you are eating and how you are eating it. After 50 something years of gobbling food, it requires concentration to change that.

Gastric bypass surgery is not a cure for obesity but it was the best tool out there and for me, the only way I could reclaim my life. I have indeed reclaimed my life and the added bonus is that I can buy cute clothes and fit in any chair! I've lost 157 pounds and have gone from size 32 to size 12. I'm 5'9. Sure, I need plastic surgery... but I cannot afford it in this questionable economy since I can't find a job. Botox helped a bit.

Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

He exudes confidence and compassion like no other surgeon I have ever met. He is available at all times to answer your concerns. It's been well over a year and he is still there for me. I felt that I was was thoroughly informed about everything before during and after my surgery because of my Dr and his team. The staff is wonderful. The hospital is set up to deal well with bariatric patients. I have no regrets that I chose my Dr and would highly recommend him.

Even with 'blips' you've done so well. After years of eating a certain way it's hard to change routines and get used to saying no to certain foods. As we've already said, it's a lifestyle change and it doesn't change overnight.

You should be so proud of yourself though, you look amazing and you've done really well getting this far.

Hi Kirsty, yes it's a lifestyle change for sure and I am still struggling with it 17 months later. There is no cure for the mental affliction unfortunately. I have no problem keeping up with exercise, but the food thing... I still crave junk, try it, get sick, try to learn from my mistakes...

Wow, you look awesome! How have you found adapting to a new food routine? I assume it has to be a lifestyle change for you. Have you had any 'blips' where you've struggled with food or exercise?