Scared to Death of LASIK Pre-Op - Elated Post-Op - Rochester, NY

My LASIK procedure is scheduled for 9/3/13 - and I...

My LASIK procedure is scheduled for 9/3/13 - and I am scared senseless after reading the material that was given to me. I am 26 and have been in glasses for 8 years. My prescription has been stable for 5 years (currently -1.50 in the right eye and -1.75 in the left). I read through the risks of surgery and have been to many websites diminishing the procedure. I am terribly worried about dry eye, the issues around lights (halos, glares, starbursts), and/or that the surgery just won't work.

I have spent the last several months since I scheduled my procedure finding real-life people who have had the surgery. I have talked to 10 people in person who all had positive results with no side effects.

I need to start my pre-surgery eye drops on Saturday for my procedure on Tuesday at 12:15. I will update my post after my procedure.

Microkeratome vs Bladeless

I have been wishing I had chosen a LASIK place that used a bladeless procedure to create the flap, but it's too late. I've heard it's better for healing, discomfort, etc. I am worried about the microkeratome procedure ....

Post Op Success

Well my procedure came and went and it went very well. I arrived at 12PM and met with the Refractive Coordinator to hand in paperwork and watch a video on Presbyopia. I was brought into an exam room where I waited - not sure how long I waited. They gave me a valium prior to the procedure to relax me - I'm still not quite sure if it worked for that purpose. I hopped on the table and they gave me a little lamb to hold on to. I did find this comforting. They did the set of eye drops and placed the suction over my eyes - the only discomforting part of the procedure was the creating of the flap via the microkeratome - I could feel the vibrating of the device as it cut the flap. I did not find it difficult to concentrate on the blinking red light as I have heard other people say was difficult - I did not find myself sensitive to any of the lights during the procedure. After the flap was cut, I could smell a slight burning as the laser reshaped my cornea.

Pause and prep for second eye - repeat.

They brought me into an exam room immediately after to check on my flap - it all went well. I closed my eyes and put on the sunglasses provided, not wanting to open them because of the gritty, stinging sensation I had post op. When I tried to open my eyes even the slightest bit, there was continuous liquid pouring out (tears? eye drops?). I was done and on my way home by 1:30.

I went immediately to bed, though I did find it difficult to rest with the safety goggles they provided me. I did manage to sleep until about 5. When I awoke, my eyes felt fine. No grittiness, no stinging. I did my round of eye drops and tried to lay back down, but sleep was hopeless, so I downloaded an audiobook on my phone (with much difficulty, due to my sensitivity to light). I rested for a few more hours.

I have not experienced much discomfort in the days post surgery. I use my artificial tear drops every half hour because I am supposed to, and use my anti inflammatory and antiobiotic drops ever 4 hours. The only time I notice discomfort is close to 8 or 9, if my eyes have been consistently open and not rested - then I just lay in bed and listen to my audiobook. I took the rest of the week off of work which helped.

I am back today and do have some slight discomfort from staring at the computer screen, but using the drops and sunglasses is helping.

I have my next follow up on Wednesday. Though technically, it's been 5 days and my flap "should be healed", I still plan on wearing my goggles to bed and my sunglasses during the day until I hear from my Dr on Wednesday the flap is intact.

I have not noticed any of the aberrations they explain can happen, so I find myself lucky. I also have noticed my eyes have watered on two separate occassions, which I find this to be a good sign.

Checkup

I forgot to mention my check-up the day after the procedure - I am 20/15! They gave me the DMV slip to send in to have the restriction removed from my license - but I will hang on to that until the last possible second because I still have a year and a half until I need to renew.

Post Op Redness

Aberrations

So I drove for the first time at night last weekend and I DO have the aberrations (glares, halos and starbursts). I don't find it annoying or problematic. I don't find it inhibits my driving capabilities.

Nearly 2 Months

I am nearly 2 months post op. I still have moderate dry eye and aberrations around lights at night time. The dry eye now I find is more so if I have my heat, staring at my computer screen for too long, or if it is windy out. All in all, still happy with my experience. I have my 3 month post op checkup on December 4th
Rochester Ophthalmologist

Dr. Hanuch is a leading LASIK surgeon in my area and proved it with my procedure. I also found out last night that he had done my husband's grandfather's cataract surgery. A great eye care professional.

Paper I'm having my LASIK next Thursday I'll post and let u know how it went.
how did it go?
Went great. Went back the next day just for a quick check up and the dr said the flap looked great and should be healed in a week or 2. I took an eye test before and the day after. I went from 20/160left eye 20/180right eye to 20/40 20/60 and that was 20hrs after my LASIK. I'm on day 3 and it seems like both eyes are focusing better and looking forward to them being healed all the way. I haven't had any problems driving at night with the halos or starburst that a lot people talk about. Eyes are just alittle sore due to all the drops I been doing but besides that couldn't be happier. Funny thing is I keep tring to push my glasses back. I'll post in a week when I'm all healed. THANKS
Please do not do it
If you are going to give such advice, please back it up. As my review has stated, I have had no negative side effects. People coming to these reviews are interested in the why or the why not
I been thinking about getting it done for some time now but I'm chicken. Maybe after reading about yours ill get it done. Thanks
I was thinking about getting Lasik last year but wasn't sure if it would be worth it for me. I am 35 and the eye doctor said that my prescription was strong so even if I get it done, I might still need glasses but a thinner lense or less strong prescription. He also said that everyone usually needs glasses once they reach a certain age for reading. I think he mentioned in their 40s so I only have about 5 years left! Not sure it's worth the cost, possible pain and risks if I do it and only have some years. What are your thoughts?

Hello! Most people need glasses for reading some time between the ages of late 30's and early 50's. This is due to presbyopia, which is decreased ability of the lens inside your eye to change its shape as you get older. The time it affects your near vision is different for every individual and that is the reason for the age "range" above. You have a very good chance of being able to see the DISTANCE well without glasses after LASIK. However, in order to see near objects, you will not be any better off than the rest of the population with no prescription. In order to be able to see near and distance for a number of years to come, a lot of people chose to have mono-vision correction. Mono-vision leaves one of your eyes slightly near-sighted to make it easier to see the near after LASIK.

Thanks. I will check out that link. I would be nervous about getting dry eyes and hurting the integrity of the cornea. Also, what's the point if you have to wear glasses to see things upclose? I guess it's a pesonal decision to see if it's worth it.
In my personal opinion, I would much rather have glasses for seeing close up then seeing far away. For seeing far away, you need to wear the glasses practically 24/7, whereas otherwise, you would need them for what? reading? Again, this is my opinion. But I am very happy with the procedure. My dry eye is minimal (I'm not even 1 month post op). I find myself primarily using the drops because I am supposed to to help with healing. My eyes feel irritated due to dry eye maybe twice a day, but the drops help instantly. I have to use the Refresh Optive Sensitive single use vials (they gave these to me for my first week post op and then gave me bottles at my 1 week checkup, but the bottles cause irritation around my eyes so I stuck with the Sensitive).
If your eyes get dry every day, you should consider speaking to your doctor about tear-plugs. If you would like, you can see the dry eye section of my website where I have explained various options for diagnosing and treating dry eyes. http://www.sandiegolaservision.com/lasik-surgery/eye-care/dry-eye-syndrome/
I had LASIK at age 35 and I had 15 years of perfect vision, no need for glasses to read OR drive. Now that I'm 50, my right eye is getting a little less perfect, so I am getting a very mild pair of glasses for night driving and also for reading, though I can still read...it's just starting to get blurry if the light isn't good. For me, LASIK was worth every penny to lose the VERY thick glasses for 15 years!
What was your vision before LASIK?

How did your surgery go? Hope you're doing well. Please update us when you can. :)