Rhinoplasty Poor Dr. Choice - New York

I just wanted my nose straightened and slightly...

I just wanted my nose straightened and slightly slimmed. Doctor went radically in different direction excessively shortening my nose, turning it up giving it a pig like appearance. It's devastating and embarrassing and the dr says it looks nice and doesn't admit to screwing up. It's a crapshoot regardless of how good their b4/after pictures look. I should've sought out a rhinoplasty specialist who does at least 3 per week for at least 25 years. It's what I would recommend to anyone out there.

I've since had a revision with a facial...

I've since had a revision with a facial surgeon specializing in shock trauma victims. He was able to restore my nose and improve the damage done by Michelle Copeland. He listened carefully, was very compassionate and I only wish I used him the first time. He's a true doctor who cares about his patients.

I'm 2 years and 4 months post op from my revision...

I'm 2 years and 4 months post op from my revision surgery. It's not ideal and i'm not super thrilled and will probably have the same dr refine the tip. He did a great job considering where he had to start from but my nose is quite wide and the tip is quite large. It's really straight and he gave me back the length so, for that I'm happy. the wideness and bulky tip is a matter of slimming down and not adding any more so I'm not too concerned. I've had other life matters that took precedence so now hopefully by late summer I'll have it tweaked. It sure is worlds better than the Copeland catastrophe.

4 years post revision

As anyone who has followed the posts and comments below know, I've had a revision by Dr. Le in Nov 2009 and a minor tweak in Jan 2012. While my vision of perfection can never be achieved especially after such mutilation by named surgeon (ha!) Michelle Copeland, I'm pleased with Dr. Le's diligent efforts in constructing a new nose, replacing the mincemeat Copeland made out of my entire lower cartilage with rib cartilage.

Nothing at this point can be done with the nostril/alar reduction she took the liberty of giving me without my consent but, this wasn't a revision to "make me look pretty again". More like "make me not look deformed". I certainly appear to have a normal looking nose and I can live with it without wincing every time I look in the mirror.

I'm updating for all the people who are still commenting on this as if it happened last month and I'm seeking a revision. It was 4 years ago and my life has moved on from this. I hope you who have suffered under someone who you should trust, someone who took the Hippocratic (more like hypocrisy) oath to "first do no harm, also find the strength and determination to move on.
New York Plastic Surgeon

This doctor gave me a obvious bad nose job, she was argumentative, VERY impatient, dodges questions, and told me to seek therapy to accept the outcome. She doesn't even deserve one star but instead a big fat F for failure as a doctor and ethical human being. I was stunned that she actually looked me in the eye and told me this is what we had discussed and that it looks great but she wouldn't put it on her website when I asked. If she was so proud of this, why wouldn't she want to use it for advertisement and exposure.

OMG I feel so sorry this happened to you! To save up for a procedure such as this and be given what you have now, it was better before, makes me frightened to get rhinoplasty! It is true Doctors can pretty much do whatever they want in surgery and not care one bit! She gets less than 1 star for any of the above and you are absolutely correct in everything you have said. Do not give up! Thanks for posting so others do NOT go to MC.
I'm so sorry that this happened to you! I'm so glad that you got a revision that you are happy with. But you know what personality shines right threw appearance & i can tell you have an amazing personality!
Thank you for your compassion and kind words!
hi i totally understand u i had a bad nose job 17 years ago when i was 17 years old and it effected my entire life even though, i succeeded in my studies and job and marriage, still it hurts me when i think about it. my anger is mostly because i never really confronted my doctor and i believed his lies to justify himself i was young, and when i think back , i realized that i did not have faith in him entirely he told me he will never show any picture (because he was famous and did not need proof) but now i understand that he did not have a good sample of his work still i do not know how to move on i found a doctor for revision nose job , i have a very good feeling about him in my heart and his work speaks for itself should i trust my feeling? or am i still lying to myself and repeating the same mistake ?
This is the perfect example why you shouldn't change something that doesn't need change. This young woman's nose was perfectly fine to begin with, she looked so beautiful! I am just astounded by the outcome. This is why I don't believe in a lot of people getting cosmetic surgery when they're perfectly normal to begin with.
Beautifully said! I completely agree. I made the biggest mistake of my life by having rhinoplasty with an utter joke of a so-called plastic surgeon. See my photos to see what he did to me. The photos actually don't show the full tragedy that happened to my face. Not a day goes by that I cry when I see my face in the mirror. I only wish women would learn from my lesson.
it's stories like this that discourage me from getting a nose job (even though I want one) and just appreciate the nose I was born with.
Hi Penelope, could you just answer this one question? Would you go to Dr Le for a primary if you had the opportunity? I'm assuming you probably would've never had surgery if you could go back, but if you HAD to choose would Le be a good choice for a primary--or is he primarily good for revisions? Thanks
Hi prodigious. You've been on these boards for 5-6 years now haven't you? Are you still looking for a primary? To answer your question, absolutely unequivocally, hands down, YES, I would have used Dr Le if I could go back in time and choose my primary. I don't understand the logic of being a great revisionist and mediocre primary surgeon. It's like saying oh, my construction guy built my house and laid the foundation but he's not very good at hanging shelves. Get what I'm saying? There may be better analogies but something like this cones to mind.
yes it's been quite awhile you are correct. Still trying to find the right guy for this ethnic face of mine. Thank you so much for your prompt reply and sorry for all the suffering you've been through in the past
Please don't do it. And, if you decide to do it one day, do your homework thoroughly and go with your guts. Don't don't let anyone ruin your face and life like what was done to me.

Thanks for your update! Do you have photos of your revision and how you look now that you wouldn't mind posting? It might help add closure to your story.

I have closure, thanks. You have my word. No more photos.

Oops, I meant closure for the folks who have followed you and given support here. I'm glad you feel closure, though! And I'm so glad to hear you've gotten past this.

I'm so happy for you that you've had a successful revision. I've been following your review for about 2 years. I was wondering if you could tell me if afterwards you saw any signs that seemed suspicious such as she didn't show you many pictures, she didn't answer your questions, etc. I haven't had my rhino yet, still doing research.
Do you mean after the surgery did I kick myself for ignoring the red flags? YES!! I ignored my feelings of doubt because I was raised to trust doctors in that they genuinely care for their patient's well being. So naive. Add insult to injury as she tried to convince me that it was a great looking nose though it wasn't remotely anything we ever discussed. My friends gasped in terror when they saw me. It was a very dark time in my life so I'll stop there. I can't stress this enough....if your gut screams danger, run. You'll know it. She didn't have many pictures to show me and when I asked for more photos and confirmation that she understood my goals, she got irritated and impatient with me. The ultimate was the morning of surgery when I see her with bloodshot eyes and she asks me "What are we doing today?" I don't know why I didn't get dressed and run for my life. I thought, what a cocky "B" but probably she really knew what she was doing (wrong!!). I was only making excuses for the feelings in my gut. After my first consultation with Dr. Le, I had nothing but the utmost confidence in his ability as a surgeon AND as a decent human being. If you don't feel total confidence in a dr, move on and keep lookng until you do.
I'm so sorry for what happened to you. It reminds of my own story. I had my surgery done with a surgeon whom I "hated" after my initial consultation and only returned to him after another MD's advice and against my gut feelings. The morning of my surgery he was running late and told me, "so, we're going yo do tip plasty", I gasped in disbelief! I had specifically told him I only wanted alarplasty and septo and nothing else!!! Read my review to see what he did to me!
Obviously Dr. Copeland had no business operating on your nose. I can't imagine the torture you've been going through for the past 4 years. I'm happy to hear you say you've moved on from this and I sincerely hope that your new doc has helped you gain some of your confidence back. Best of luck to you in the future.
Thank you Ali. Agreed, she had no business operating on my nose or even just being a surgeon. Hopefully she'll be retiring soon and relieve those who might consider going under her dull knife. I can't speak highly enough of Dr. Le and his commitment to his patients. I'm certain no other surgeon could have gotten me to this point. Thank you again for your thoughtfulness.
Wow that really sucks. Well everything happens for a reason- hope the revision goes well.
Read the update above dear. I'm 4 years post op. 4 years. Also, what a strange thing to say. It happened for a reason? Alrighty then.
Sorry I didn't mean it in a bad way!! You're still very pretty and it's great that you moved on
im sorry to hear your story, people are here for you, your not alone! im in the uk, and hoping to get a revision in the near future, just thought id show some support, we trust these peoples training and skills and pay them handsomely to disregard you after it is unacceptable, they should refer you to a revision specialist if not go and get some one on one training with one themselves and be open about your result and help you, x be strong! and positive! x Rose x
She already had her revision, read the review
oh thanks, i didnt see that! im just trying to support, you know as im currently looking at getting a revision and i understand how it feels to be almost agoraphobic because of your nose, it just seems so rude that the primary surgeon was dismissive when another surgeon clearly recognized her concerns, x Rose x