Completely Recommended - California

I have not done Thermage or Titan but I have done...

I have not done Thermage or Titan but I have done many laser photofacials. Refirme is radio frequency, not laser. I had a topical anesthetic cream applied to my face 30 min. before the treatment. The treatment is painful. And I turned quite red. I ended up having some lines of burn marks, just under the skin, along my jaw line -- after a week this moved up and naturally shedded like very thin scabs, but I had to use extra concealer until it shedded.

There wasn't any peeling but I did have some face swelling -- more like face puffiness that lasted a few days.

Refirme doesn't seem to do anything until you get to the 2nd week. Suddenly you start to notice your skin tightening up naturally fine lines start to disappear and you can almost see the collagen rebuilding.

After three weeks, I would say I've taken off 3-5 years in one treatment. They say it only gets better, as the collagen continues to rebuild even after 6 months.

I am going to do 2 more treatments in this series, then probably a maintenance once a year.

I will definitely pay to do this treatment for my arms/hands and my neck/decollete -- then move to a maintenance on those too.

I figure this treatment will keep me from having to do injectables -- no Botox, no Juvederm or Restylne. I figure this could be the holy grail of keeping your skin young and may put these injectables out of business some day.

Since writing my last review, I've had a...

Since writing my last review, I've had a second treatment of Refirme.  It's now been several weeks since that treatment.  This second treatment was part of 2 other treatments -- a fotofacial and Matrix.  So I had three treatments in one sitting, which cost me a lot more.

I experienced more skin "burning"/"marking" with the 2nd treatment, but I feel that it was because I hadn't hydrated my skin as much as the first time.  Good hydration is key for less ablation during laser treatments.  This 2nd treatment was also more painful than the 1st, which I suppose again was due to less skin hydration.  I would say I almost reached the point of needing more than just topical anesthetic this 2nd time.  Perhaps my doctor was too aggressive?  Don't know.

It took me about 5-7 days for my face to recover this time.  The first 3 days I couldn't quite get the makeup to cover the marks -- so I had to cancel going out.  After that, though, it quickly got better.  By the 5th day, most of the marks had sloughed off and I had very little to cover up.  So, I would recommend you plan for some downtime, just in case -- perhaps do the treatment on a Thursday or Friday.

The results, though, are the reason why I went back for a 2nd treatment in the first place -- in spite of the pain, in spite of a bit of downtime.  The results were very good from the 1st treatment.  Adding in a fotofacial and Matrix with the Refirme for the 2nd time -- the results are nothing more than amazing.  I definitely look at least 5-7 years younger.  My fine lines are almost gone.  My skin is MUCH tighter and younger looking (has a glow I haven't seen in years).   Some line have completely filled in on their own -- can hardly believe it.

The results, to date, have been nothing short of...

The results, to date, have been nothing short of astounding.  The changes are unique.  You don't have a frozen or puffy look, like you would with injectables.  Instead, you still look like YOU but your best mature YOU -- whatever your age.  That said, the treatment does create a subtle younger look -- in my case, 5-7 years younger but in such a subtle way that people can't pinpoint what I've done.  Not a stretched look.  Not a weird look.  You simply look REALLY healthy, nearly line free (for me that has been the result because I only had the beginnings of fine lines to start with, mostly around my eyes), and a VERY even complexion.

I have another appointment coming up in about 2 weeks to finish out my 3-series treatment.

UPDATE 5/7/09 : It is now 6 weeks since...

UPDATE 5/7/09 : It is now 6 weeks since my final treatment. An aesthetician of mine saw me for the first time in 6 mo.s and couldn't resist touching my face. She said I looked so much younger and wanted to immediately see how the skin felt -- much firmer. That is the result that you will get from this treatment -- firmer skin. Pre-treatment my skin was moving more around the jaw line when I spoke. Now it does not -- it is much firmer. Fine lines around my eyes have also been significantly reduced. One thing I have been worried about, however, is the depth of tissue Refirme heats up. I don't believe, because of the results and because the company claims this device uses bi-polar energy, Refirme melted my fat pads -- so let me be clear on that. However, I do believe it is better for your physician to do more passes under a slightly less aggressive setting per treatment than less passes of the device on the skin under a higher setting. The physician does have to heat up the tissue enough to cause "damage" sufficient for the body to heal itself and remold/rebuild collagen, otherwise the treatment would have been in vain. But I believe that the physican needs to manage how aggressive he/she is with the treatment so as not to test the boundaries of safety with the bi-polar technology. As a patient, I would recommend you ask for the physician to do 4-5 passes on the same skin to heat up the tissue at a slightly lower setting to get the needed results -- this slightly lower setting will also be a little less painful. In regard to the pain, I found that to be the toughest part of the treatment. It is very painful. I had topical numbing cream put on my skin, but it is still VERY painful. It is a shock to your system to receive this amount of pain, which I believe is unhealthy overall. Since the treatment, I have been using retinol cream daily. Besides the pain and concern about treatment technique, I am VERY satisfied with the results and plan on going back in another year to do a maintenance treatment -- I will have to psych myself up to deal with the pain. Probably once a year I will do this.

UPDATE 7/6/09: My face looks great.  Only complaint I have is that I have what I believe to be either a little less fat on my cheeks than before or maybe its because my face has tightened up that I feel this way -- hard to tell.  But, I'm wishing I had a bit more volume -- just a tad.  Not to fill in wrinkles though - cuz I really don't have any, only the faintest of faintest lines under my eyes.

To prolong the skin I still have, I've up'd my preventive approach and created my own blend of sunflower oil and specific essential oils and put that into a dispenser with a researched quantity of each and apply one drop of that homemade super-antioxidant to my face and neck twice each day.  Also, in the morning I also use L'oreal's Skin Genesis, derma E's DMAE Alpha Lipoic C-Ester Serum, Olay's Pro-x, and Jan Marini's Transformation Eye Cream (the best eye cream out there), plus sunscreen.  It just takes a bit of Make Up Forever's HD face powder to matte out any of the oil that shines through after I apply light makeup -- use a Jane Iredale brush. I am relentless with sunscreen (should have done that when I was younger) on my hands, face, and neck and try to avoid sunning my skin.

At night I wear relastin's Eye Silk under my eyes and besides the antioxidant personal blend I also put on derma E's Peptides Plus Wrinkle Reverse Creme.  I also sleep on a Save My Face pillow, which is my special secret weapon against turning back the hands of time under my eyes and the sides of my face.  Okay, this may all sound seriously crazy -- and I wish these companies would combine products so that I didn't have to buy them separately (I know this is a ripoff strategy on all of us women, and I don't appreciate it!).  And my routine is clearly for those who have the bucks and determination.

Hi - It's now been almost a year since...

Hi - It's now been almost a year since my first Refirme treatment.  I just did another treatment for maintenance.  But, I went to a different provider this time.

Previously I had listed the price at $450.00, but now I'm adjusting it to $350.00 because this is what I paid for with my newest treatment -- and I got the face and neck for that price (not just the face, like before).

The reason I changed providers was because I was disappointed with how aggressive the last provider was for my three previous treatments.  The pain was just too much.  And each time I was left with a significant amount of burn marks.  So between too much pain, downtime and trying to unsuccessfully cover up burn marks each time, and wanting to find a lower cost, I found a new provider.

To find a new provider, I went to www.refirme.com -- they have a provider list there.  Those providers have a mix of two different types of Syneron laser machines: the eLight (http://www.syneron.com/products/elight) and the eMax (http://www.syneron.com/products/emax) machines.  In comparing the technical specifications of the two types of machines, it appears to me that the FotoFacialRF and Refirme capabilities are the same, with the eMax having the additional Matrix IR and vascular treatments -- assuming the "Wrinkle Treatment (WR)" is also part of the Matrix IR capability.  WOULD BE GREAT TO KNOW IF I'M RIGHT - ANYONE KNOW?

Since I made the assumption that the eLight and eMax's Refirme and FotoFacialRF treatments were the same, I went with someone who had the less expensive eLight machine -- thus reducing my expenses.  I don't need Matrix IR.

By the way, if you want to more easily find someone with an eMax machine, just go to the company's Trinity website instead -- http://www.trinitiskin.com/

Okay, back to the treatment.  The numbing cream I was given was much stronger than the other place.  And I described my previous experience to the nurse.  She felt that in her experience it wasn't necessary to put the machine at such high intensity to get the results.  She said she saw the same results past a certain "mark" of intensity, and that there was no need to go further.  I have to say she was right.

I only had two VERY SLIGHT burn marks.  Otherwise the Refirme and FotofacialRF treatments were almost pain free.  And my results were excellent.

Now, I have to say that it is imperative you have an excellent daily skin treatment program to help maintain and improve upon the results.  I have described some of my program in previous posting, but I have added Grape Seed Oil for nighttime application.  I have changed out my eye cream for Jan Marini's Age Intervention Eye Cream - better.

The best place in the Los Angeles area that I have...

The best place in the Los Angeles area that I have found, both for cost and for ease of treatment for Refirme (which to me means little-to-no pain), is Le Soleil Salon & Day Spa in Glendale, CA. The have the "light" machine that does Refirme. In my research on the Refirme's company site, there is no difference in how Refirme is delivered via the light or other more expensive machines they sell. As a result, I went with a provider that had the light machine because that means they won't be charging you as much (or they shouldn't) due to lower overhead. The service is excellent at this Spa/Salon, is done by a nurse in a separate treatment room, and to me is painfree. Originally, I went with a practitioner at Rejuvayou in South Pasadena -- that was where I experienced the extreme pain and would not recommend Refirme there.

UPDATE: I have moved on from Refirme to Endymed....

UPDATE: I have moved on from Refirme to Endymed. Refirme is older technology now. The Endymed treatment is virtually painless, and I go about once every 9-12 months.
Le Soleil Salon & Day Spa

Hello... I read your review, and quickly went to look for Le Soliel, and they are now closed. I am hoping you might still be in the same area, and have a suggestion as to where you go now?
Thank you so much.... this info came at a crossroad for me as I have been serious about getting a chin lift. Because I had one Refirme treatment that was so painful and left me swollen for a week, I thought surgery was the only way to go. Could you give us more info on Endymed and whether you continue to Glendale for your treatments? Thanks again!
Hi QB! I live in the Pasadena area. Can you tell me where you get your Endymed and the cost? Thanks!
Wow, Queen Bee... you are very thorough. I soooo appreciate reading your review. I learned so much!
Great, thanks for responding. I'll check out Endymed.
p.s. QueenBee, are you still around this forum? I'd love to know how you're doing these days....and how the Refirme holds up over time.
Wow this was a really good and thorough review. I'm very interested in trying Refirm, but for now I'm going to give my Stop device a few months, as that's much cheaper. I also use a little infrared hand light twice a day on my face, so I'm sort of doing the RT and Infrared thing together, but we'll see if the home treatment can get results. I'm really impressed with some of the before and after pictures I've seen of Refirm patients, so it's very tempting!
Glendale, CA
I have just submitted an update to my review which lists practitioners -- should be available online by tomorrow. Good luck!
So, the Le Soleil Salon & Day Spa is in Glendale area? Or, elsewhere?
Thanks.
FYI - for bay area ladies I just purchased a half off package of refirm. $550 for 3 fullface/neck refirm treatments are available at Fr. Hill in Benicia
I live in California - but don't have the name of a good provider. Would you share your provider name with me?
Could you please let me know who was your provider the last time you did refirme? $350 sounds great. Thanks
Could you share who the providers you used are? Thanks
I'm getting ready to book an appoitment for refirme treatment, I'm very disapointed with the response, I'm actually scared, I have periodic disease, so I'm very afraid that it will make this worst. not sure what to do at this point.??
Sounds like they either didn't use enough gel or they didn't have the wand contacting the skin. Refirme should not be painful.
I had Refirme with a light photo facial about 2 hours ago. Compared to laser hair removal and permanent makeup, it was a walk in the park as far as pain was concerned. I am, in fact, having a hard time believing that anything this comfortable is going to be very effective, but we shall see. I am set to do five treatments which will conclude around Christmas and I'll post back with updates. I will ask for a higher setting on the PF next time as I wanted to test my skin's reaction (and pain tolerance) today. I did have a lidocaine topical and held a cool air device in case I felt burned. Since the results are supposed to be cumulative, I am not expecting any big change today. Will let you know in the future what I think.
I just had the refirme done and I'm surprised you say it was painful, mine felt really like it was just making my skin twitch no pain really. I also had the Photofacial done on another area and that was painful my skin turned pink & swollen, but where I got Refirme it wasn't red or anything.
I would like to have the benefits of Refirme but no one offers it near me. Would you mention where you received these treatments? Many thanks!
Beware before getting ReFirm if you have dental implants. I just tried to get into a study for ReFirm and was turned down because I have Titanium dental implants. No reason was give why, but they called the ReFirm company directly before telling me that I could not participate. I am wondering if it had been the same outcome if I was paying for the treatments at my own risk. I have had other treatments previously using laser and the implants were not an issue.
I just went for a consultation about getting the Refirme treatment and forgot to ask about my dental implant which is just in the process of oseo-intergation with the bone. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to call the doctor back and ask about that! What was your experience with Titan? I was concerned about that due to the grounding patch they have to use on your back.
I take two demoral- left over from another medical procedure and it makes the procedure painfree. I highly recomend it if you can get your hands on some or at least take maximum dose of over the counter pain killers and avoid caffene a day before. Also time it 2 weeks into your cycle when pain tolerance is less. last hint pince yourself somewhere else on your body- it helps fool the brain
UPDATE: It is now 6 weeks since my final treatment. An aesthetician of mine saw me for the first time in 6 mo.s and couldn't resist touching my face. She said I looked so much younger and wanted to immediately see how the skin felt -- much firmer. That is the result that you will get from this treatment -- firmer skin. Pre-treatment my skin was moving more around the jaw line when I spoke. Now it does not -- it is much firmer. Fine lines around my eyes have also been significantly reduced. One thing I have been worried about, however, is the depth of tissue Refirme heats up. I don't believe, because of the results and because the company claims this device uses bi-polar energy, Refirme melted my fat pads -- so let me be clear on that. However, I do believe it is better for your physician to do more passes under a slightly less aggressive setting per treatment than less passes of the device on the skin under a higher setting. The physician does have to heat up the tissue enough to cause "damage" sufficient for the body to heal itself and remold/rebuild collagen, otherwise the treatment would have been in vain. But I believe that the physican needs to manage how aggressive he/she is with the treatment so as not to test the boundaries of safety with the bi-polar technology. As a patient, I would recommend you ask for the physician to do 4-5 passes on the same skin to heat up the tissue at a slightly lower setting to get the needed results -- this slightly lower setting will also be a little less painful. In regard to the pain, I found that to be the toughest part of the treatment. It is very painful. I had topical numbing cream put on my skin, but it is still VERY painful. It is a shock to your system to receive this amount of pain, which I believe is unhealthy overall. Since the treatment, I have been using retinol cream daily. Besides the pain and concern about treatment technique, I am VERY satisfied with the results and plan on going back in another year to do a maintenance treatment -- I will have to psych myself up to deal with the pain. Probably once a year I will do this.