My Tummy Tuck Story - Ramsey, NJ

So I'm 40 years old and have 2 children ages...

So I'm 40 years old and have 2 children ages 19 & 16. Within the last 3 years, I lost 60lbs on Weight Watchers, became a lifetime member and at 140, I still had a skin apron and a protruding top belly. I felt that all my hard work didn't pay off. So, I have been struggling to maintain the weight I lost. However, it has been hard 30 lbs heavier and 3 years later, I decided to do something about it. Last year I had gotten a carecredit card for Lasik procedure and realized I could actually get a tummy tuck.

So a few months ago, I started researching. I went to 4 consultation meetings, and when I went to my PS I felt like I had found the one. I looked into my doctor because he was recommended by carecredit. I checked out his website and was impressed that he had been on 20/20 and the View and had lots of pictures on his website.

At my consultation, we sat down and spoke, but he just didn't talk to me, he examined my body. He pushed and pulled skin and explained what would I would look like. He explained where my scar would be and what it would look like. He took pictures. I had a tummy tuck, with muscle repair and lip of the hips.

I met with the patient coordinator and set the date. It was important to me to have the procedure right at the end of June because I am a teacher and wanted the summer to heal.

I came back 2 weeks after (it was also 2 weeks before my date) and paid the balance and met with the doctor again. He answered my questions in regards to lipo of the hip area. He showed my pictures of other patients that had similiar bodies to me.

Pros
very detailed doctor
attentive staff-emails, phone calls, etc..
1 night stay at a wellness center

Con
New Jersey (30 mins. away from where I live)

4 weeks post op today. I'm feeling good except...

4 weeks post op today. I'm feeling good except for the swelling in the afternoon/evening. I can stand straight, but when i get tired i shrink. :). Still sleeping on my back and last night i slept on my side for a couple of hours. I still need help getting out of bed... I have done it a couple of times but theres so much strain on the tummy. I can't pick up things that drop on the floor yet and i have been butterfingers! I have found ways to shave my legs and lotion my feet. :)
:) my doc removed 7 lbs of skin and I've lost another 7....so 14 lbs in 4 weeks. Yay!
My ps also doesnt want me to put anything on the scar for 6 weeks. He also does a different kind of stitch than what many of you ladies have. However its beginning to flatten out. Ive also have had some superficial skin separation on the corner of my pubic hairline. My doc says its because thats where the most tension is. It is scabbing now. My doc says that means that that little area's scar when healed will be 1/4 of a cm. Thicker than the rest of my scar. He said the could revise it but we have to wait. Also, i am still stuffing my bb with gauze 3 times a day till the end of this week.
My lipo bruises for the most part have gone away or have turned grey. The areas dont hurt only when i touch it. I havent had any stinging. Still have some lumps which are areas of scar tissue that need to heal. They are not visible but when i touch them (2) i feel them.
Mentally, ive been ok-aside from the one day before my period but thats it :) i still have no regrets. I didnt realize how long the healing would be and what it entailed (even though we're told) but it's still worth it .
I have been a pain in the butt calling, emailing and making extra appts. But i feel that i want to make sure everything is healing the way its supposed to be healing. I have another appt tomorrow.

Mentall

Havent worn any type of compression garment-ps prefers i dont, and i dont think i could deal with more tightness.

Sorry for typos and spacing...typing on my ipod is...

Sorry for typos and spacing...typing on my ipod is sort of new! :)

29days post op Went to the doc today, wasnt one...

29days post op
Went to the doc today, wasnt one of the scheduled post op visits, but wondering about my belly button still. I guess i must have become a big pain with all my calls, emails, sending images, etc...because i was seen by both dr. Capella and Scott his PA. They explained about the belly button and tension. They reassured me my bb was normal and that i could stop stuffing it with gauze.

I will return in 2 weeks for my 6 week visit. My bf wasnt happy that we drive 45 mins to get to the dr. Office for a 10 min visit, "only to reassure me". Its really hard bc my doc does thing completely different, so i cant compare when it comes to some things. I guess i will listen and relax. :)

Aug 2nd-5week anniversary of my tummy tuck, w/...

Aug 2nd-5week anniversary of my tummy tuck, w/ muscle repair and lipo. Well so far I'm ok. My scar is healing. My belly button is healing slowly. I am grateful for not having to have stitches or staples removed and for not having to wear and binder/ girdle, etc... I couldnt do it when i was heaver with a big tummy. I have realized that I am not as quick a healer as most of you ladies: maybe because my tt went around to my hips, maybe because I wasnt at my perfect weight or a gym person... But I am getting there. I started sleeping on my sides and lying down flat with only a pillow for my head. This weekend I started painting my kids room, with lots of their help but Ive been on the ladder, with the roller etc... Yesterday I did do 4 loads of laundry and clean my kitchen and bathroom....I am not in extra discomfort but I do take breaks. I am still swollen by the end of the day I am up 2lbs and 2 inches across my bb. I have been doing my weight watchers and have lost 8lbs on top of the 7 that was taken out in skin and fat. :). However, none of my clothes (pants,stretchies, panties) fit me or are too snug which by the end of the day is very uncomfortable.
Havent started any scar treatment yet (as per doc) but I ordered the silicone sheet from makemeheal.com.
Hoping that in 2 weeks I will be able to enjoy my vacation to loscabos, Mexico with my boyfriend. Ttfn

Okay ladies...tomorrow I will be 7 weeks PO!! I...

Okay ladies...tomorrow I will be 7 weeks PO!! I can't believe so much time has passed. I also can't believe how much patience one has to have to go through the recovery. :)

Overall I am feeling good. I have lost 19 lbs since my surgery (7 skin and fat-the rest on weight watchers), so that is great! But I still feel like my healing process is going slowly. I still have lots of swelling at night. I miss sleeping on my stomach. And my belly button and a small section on top of my pubic are are still healing, there is till some some scabbing. My PS is not worried about it though. My PS does not believe in scar therapy but I did go ahead and get a silicone strip (even though I can not use until my scab falls off), and maderma.

Interestingly enough, the dark spots that were caused by the tape, which I thought was adhesive-really is my skin's reaction to the tape. My PS has seen before and said it will go away. He recommends not putting anything that has vitamin A and E.

I got the okay to start easing myself into exercise-no elliptical or P90x yet, but walking on treadmill is okay. He said 1 to 2 miles per hour.

Waxing okay, was told to stay away from the scar, so I am thinking of leaving a strip of hair and waxing the rest.

I have been lucky enough to be off work for the summer. I go back in 2 weeks. Today, I went in to fix up my office, had lots of help. My children and beau are spoiling me.

I still can't fit into my pants, well to be honest, with the scab-healing area, I haven't even tried. However, I got lots of dresses (with a waist) and they look great.

I still can't visualize what my tummy will look like by 12 weeks. My tummy is flat for like the first 20 mins of the day and then I get my swelling back-not bad but enough...until the evening. Counting the weeks.

I go back to my PS on my 12 week. :)
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Doctor and PA and Terry the surgical coordinator are very accessible. They are knowledgeable, and explain everything clearly. Even though my PS explained that he will see me the next day, 6 weeks, 3 mos, 6 mos and a year. When I called about a concern the had me come in right away. Any concern or question I have, I email the Dr or his PA and get a response in hours. I have even emailed pictures. Payment was a little different as I had to pay everything separately, PS, hospital time, wellness time, ambulance, anesthia. Wait times, were none..so far I haven't waited to be seen, even if I get there early.

Hi Iteachtoo, just wondering if you have any more recent additional pics, and also if you are happy with your decision to go with Dr. Capella, and happy with your results. I am interested in going with him, just trying to gather more info. Thanks in advance!
Hi! just wondering how do you like your results.
Hi I was wondering what the surgeons name was that did your surgery?
Hi! It's been a while. Do you have any updates or pics? I plan to visit one more PS and plan to book surgery for December.
I totally get what you are saying my incision goes almost all the way around only about 8 inches are not cut. i feel for you on the clothes too.. and the weight gain by the end of the day.. on Monday i weighed 4 lbs less than i did today i hate the slow going and the fluid pockets are really getting me down... keep your head up look at how far you have come and how you don't have a muffin top look at your new shape with no rolls you're going to heal and feel better too..
Thanks kimmers, i didnt see your comment till now. I will get palmers oil tomorrow. :)

It will really help.  It's the Palmer's Vitamin E Skin Therapy Oil.

Teach, you are not a pain in the tush to the office. You are a patient wanting to ensure all is well with your investment, your new tummy! My background is in healthcare and I truly believe every patient has the right and perhaps the responsability to ask a zillion questions, to question their healing process as we all heal, it's the process that shouldn't be generalized. Good for you for questioning! BTW, you look awesome.

My extended TT & inner thigh lift is scheduled for the 11th of Aug,thank you for sharing on this site, it has been a plus for me...take care...
Hi desertlady55, thanks for your words of affirmation!! I feel that way too :)

Good luck on the 11th, we're all here for you.

You are looking really good:)

Thanks kimmers. I still dont know what to put on those tape marks on the side. The marks have been there for more than 10 days. My ps says to leave it alone :(

Are they tape burns?   Or just the sticky mess left behind?

I say use the palmers oil either way.

Do you have any current pics to post? Glad to hear you are not regretting the surgery. That's comforting to us still waiting. Sounds like you are feeling great!
I feel waay better in the morning... hence my post :). I willtry to get some more pics up by the end of the week.
Def not regretting
My ps doesnt want me to put anything. But i bought maderma. Have an appt tom and will ask if i could put maderma on the lipo. He recommended the silicone sheets after6 weeks.

How are you feeling? What can i look fwd to next week ;)
Hey teach! I am 5 weeks post op today. You and I have the same lipo entry scars. You putting anything on them? I'm trying Mederma.
Thanks today makes 4 weeks po
Wow you look great!! How many weeks since surgery? Must feel so different. Can't wait to be on that side of things!

And thank you for your comments on my blog too. I appreciate any support :0)
Thanks ladies! It feels so different....i cant wait to see how life is like after this healing process.

Cataco, no complaints so far. I mean my ps does things a bit differently so i feel a little alone no binder, different kind of stitching/scar, no ointments or scar therapy until after the 6 week visit, but i still have found comfort in this blog. :)

I know what you mean about no binder. I'm 7 days po and I haven't had to wear one either. Not really sure if I would even want to attempt it with drains. Bless those who have had to deal with that. However, I'm hoping to get this other drain out Thursday and then I will have to wear some spanx.
You look great! I can't wait to get this recovery behind me!
Thanks! I'm not wearing spanx either. I am just out in the open. ;)
Getting the drains out, is a milestone!! :) You will feel better. I know what you mean about this looooong recovery process.
Congratulations! Your pics look great. Any complaints or concerns so far?

Wow you look amazing.  And congratulations on the weight loss:)

Good for you for doing your homework. You deserved this and I'm glad you were able to do it! Thanks so much for sharing here on RealSelf!