8 Days PO...SO WORTH IT!

Hello, I am a 26 year old mother of 2, a boy and a...

Hello, I am a 26 year old mother of 2, a boy and a girl and a wife to an amazing man. I am 5'5' and approx. 178 lbs. I am not going to elaborate and bore you with some long sob story about how I grew up in a low-income home eating mainly pb&js and hotdogs, but I will tell you that I have been chunky my entire life. While most women get a "kangaroo pouch" after having children, I developed one while I was a child. Growing up I have never felt comfortable in my own skin. Never fitting in clothes the right way, and God forbid I ever try to wear a bathing suit.

God has blessed me with 2 beautiful, healthy children and I am so thankful for them! But as you can imagine, my stomach and kangaroo pouch has only gotten worse from being pregnant and gaining in excess of 40 lbs.with each pregnancy. Not to mention, both of my babies were born by C-section. Yep, you guessed it...the doctors cut right in the middle of my kangaroo pouch, making it impossible to lose.

The day I gave birth to my son, I maxed out at 250 lbs! I dropped down to 228 lbs. and stayed there for 2 years before I found out about a prescription appetite suppressant. This medicine helped me get down to around 178 lbs, when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. After my daughter's birth, I fluctuated between 192 and 200 lbs. For the past 3 months, i have been back on the appetite suppressant and been serious about getting down to a healthier weight. Eating less, drinking more water, and exercising, I have gotten back down in the 170 lb. range, with motivation to keep it up and make this a lifestyle change; after all, I had had my tubes tied, no more excuses.

I recentlyI went to my first plastic surgery consultation and received so much information about having a tummy tuck, and confirmed that I was a great candidate for the surgery. She also informed me that I did have some muscle separation from being pregnant. She tugged and pulled on my loose fat and skin, showing me what would be done in surgery. While this was a little embarrassing, I was so excited at the possibility of finally getting rid of this adversary in my life. I say adversary because it has really been an emotional hinderance in my life. It has convinced me that I am not attractive, hindering me from being able to wear many different clothes, lowering my self-esteem...hindering me from loving myself as much as I should.

Before I left, I sat down and talked about the costs associated with this type surgery, and was quoted nearly $9,000. My heart would have sank if I hadn't done some previous research before I went, and found that the national average cost of this surgery is around $7,900 (according to Real Self.com). With $9,000 being quite a bit over the average, I am definitely going to be "shopping" around. Consultations run anywhere from $50 to $125 each, so I am hoping that I find a plastic surgeon that I'm comfortable with, with the right price, sooner than later.

I have even created a "Tummy Tuck Fund" on a website called gofundme and have been sharing it with my friends and family in hopes of some love offerings to help me out financially with this life-long wish. (i did link it to a reviewer with a similar looking pre-belly to show an example bc I do not yet pics of my own...will get some up soon tho... so please forgive me)

I have been reading through as many reviews as possible in my area, but if you have any additional advice on who is the best PS for the best price in NC, please share!!

After doing much research, I found a plastic...

After doing much research, I found a plastic surgeon in Greenville (NC). He has great reviews and is a tad bit closer to home. I had a consultation with him today, and I thought it went great. Come to find out, he actually opened the practice 20 years ago, and the only way they advertise (besides their plain website) is by word of mouth. After my consult, I then went to see the scheduler to go over the costs and schedule availability. I was pleased to find out that the total cost would be $5,605...full tummy tuck with MR and lipo where needed. I was so excited that I went ahead and scheduled my surgery! I go for a checkup/pre-op on September 6th, and then surgery on September 19th. I am so excited, yet it doesn't feel real yet. My husband is going to put in for time off for the surgery tomorrow at work, so maybe when he tells me that his leave is approved it will sink in...?

My surgery is this Wednesday! I am so excited and...

My surgery is this Wednesday! I am so excited and nervous. Going to rent a recliner from Aaron's tomorrow. Also going to get my prescriptions filled.

Today I am 8 days PO. I know I have been slack in...

Today I am 8 days PO. I know I have been slack in updating, but I will sum it up now. Last Wednesday, the 19th was my surgery. I was pretty nervous. When I woke up, I was still so out of it. All I remember is the recovery nurse talking A LOT. I am not the nicest person when I come out of anesthesia, so I remember just being irritable. I was unable to pee after the surgery so I ended up having to have a catheter and was sent home with it.

Day 1 PO, my husband removed the catheter and I was able to go pee on my own. I don't recall much from PO days 1 or 2 because I was heavily medicated on Demerol. The only thing I do remember is that my period started, and it was a week early! Has this happened to anyone before?? My cycles have always been regular. It made me mad because I had scheduled my surgery accordingly, so that I wouldn't have to worry about having my period the first week of having surgery. Day 3 PO was Saturday, I was able to take my first shower. Well my "shower" ended up being me sitting on a chair in the shower and having a sponge bath. I did manage to wash my hair though by having my husband rinse it using a cup. Day 4 PO I had ran out of Demerol, so I started Percocets. The only thing that I recall about Sunday was that we missed out on 2 church services :-( . Monday was day 5 PO, and we ended up going back for my first follow-up appointment. It wasn't suppose to be until Thursday (today) but my husband had called in and told them that my drains were draining under 20cc. They ended up taking out one of my drains, and it didn't hurt at all! Tuesday, day 5 PO I took my second "shower". I was exhausted afterwards. Didn't do much of anything. Yesterday was day 7 PO and I was determined to make to church. I text my pastor's wife and had her reserve the back pew of the over flow section for me. I took 3 pillows, one to sit on, one for my back, and one to hold on my stomach god forbid I had to cough. Besides my back killing me from standing, it was great. Afterwards we went to Denny's with some friends. I was incredibly exhausted after church and dinner. But I was so glad to get out of the house for a little bit anyway. Today my mom and grandma brought my baby girl home. She has been with them for the last week which has been very helpful. My next PO appointment is next Tuesday. I'm going to bring up the fact that my belly button is slightly off to the left. My husband thinks its only because I am swollen, but I don't know why it would cause it to be off centered. It's not that bad, but still, being cosmetic surgery I expect it to be right. I don't know what they could possibly do to fix it..?
Richard P. Rizzuti

I found him by first reading a review here on RealSelf. Then I continued my research and found that he has great reviews elsewhere and is rated highly. The consultation went great and the quote for the surgery was a great price.

I live in Princeton an have been looking the prices I got were 10,00 and up can you tell me how you are doing and are you happy with the final results please email mail me at honesty58@yahoo.com and put tummy tuck in the subject would like to talk to someone who had it as my story is the same as yours
Thankd so much for the prayers definitley can use them. Been in a lot of pain...woke up super stiff this a.m. but after i got up for a potty break, i was feeling a lot better.
Good luck! Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way!

Thinking about you and sending hugs your way:)

You are in my prayers - precious blood of Jesus cover you and protect you, and guide the Surgeons hand. A roller coaster but definitely worth it!
Will do. So excited!
Please come back and tell us how you are.
Best
Crystal who?
OMG! you are friends with crystal! LMAO she texted me to ask me who i was using, I had no idea it was you and we were chatting! we were old college room mates and still best of friends! Ill have to call her tomorrow and let her know! Small world!
I did change my date btw! It is Sept 10. I go in the am for my pre op! I"m super excited!!!
We are alot alike, with the whole always fat since a being a kid, I had my surgery done a couple weeks ago, check out my pics, my belly was bigger then yours, so you will love the results, I had free consultations, I never heard of being charged, but I went to PS centers. I wanted a doctor that only does cosmetic ps, so the consultation is free. Well good luck to ya, and check out my pics.
Yep! But as happy as I am about it, it doesn't really feel like it's happening...

How exciting!  You are now officially on your way:)

I think for the 3 surgeries and lipo its between 15k and 20k - hers would be different too even if she had just told me the TT cost b/c she is having the fluer de lies type of tuck b/c its better result when youve had such extreme weight loss
Thank you! did she happen to mention how much she was paying? Obviously it wouldn't be the same for me, since I am not getting a BA, but just wondering how his prices compare to others :)
alright my friend is using Dr. Carlino @ Specialists in Plastic Surgery of Raleigh - here is their website. She said if she wouldnt be using him if she didnt recommend him : )

oh, thank you so much! I would definitely appreciate that.
HIIIIII a friend of mine is having surgery Aug. 14th in Raleigh. She is having the TT, BA, and thigh lift. She is having all this done due to over 100 lb weight loss. I will check with her to see who her doc is and what his pricing is like. I know she has been discussing this surgery with her doc extensively over the last year or so. I will keep you posted on what I find out : )
Thank you, I will check that out.:)

Welcome to RealSelf!  I am very glad you joined the community.

I always recommend that you meet with at least three surgeons before making any final decisions.  You need to find the very best surgeon possible and one that you totally click with and trust.  While cost is one of the deciding factors please try not to focus only on that.

I have attached a link to my Tummy Tuck Survival Guide.  This will provide some information for you.

Keep us all up to date:)