Radiesse and Restylane - Horrible Side Effects

I had Radiesse (2 syringes) and .5 Restylane...

I had Radiesse (2 syringes) and .5 Restylane injected into my face area; nasolabial folds, eye area, laugh lines etc. I did experience huge swelling, lumps and bruising in the injected areas immediately. I was told this was normal. After about a week the bruising went down but the lumps were still there and were extremely uncomfortable. (I can see NO difference in the way I look), except that I look worse!!! The doctor says this is normal. I question her why it says that Radiesse is INSTANT RESULTS as I see none!!! She says again, "this is normal".

Now almost 3 weeks later, not only do I NOT see ANY positive results, I look even worse then I did before, but now I wake up in the morning to a completely swolen face, and eyes and eyelids are almost completely closed and sagging. I call my GP "thinking" that I have had an allergic reaction to something, ie. food, face cream, or whatever. My GP tells me to take Benydril. I take an entire bottle of this in 3 days and the swelling has not gone down, or made any improvement whatsoever.

I then go to another general practioner and he says "I have no idea why your face and eyes are ballooned up as it could be becuase of many things. I then told him about my Radiesse etc. He says that it is possible that I am having a reaction to this and to speak with the Cosmetic doctor but that he would prescribe me Prednozone to reduce the swelling.

I then go and see the Cosmetic doctor and she says that my swelling cannot be due to the Radiesse or Restylane as I had it done a few weeks ago. I tell her that I am very scared as this is totally not normal for someone to experience swelling in the complete facial area like this. I told her that I went to 2 GP's and they are completely stumped in finding out what is wrong with me. She says that no one has EVER had side effects from this completely SAFE procedure and that I must have OTHER things going on. I told her that my lumps are getting bigger and swelling in other areas. I get the "this is normal" again!!! She did say that she would call the company and get back to me later that afternoon.

I saw her on Tuesday at noon and we are now Saturday and I have heard NOTHING from her. I did go to the EMERGENCY at the hospital as I was having problems breathing and I was litterally panicked about my swelling and that I could hardly see anymore. The emergency doctor had facial e-rays done for sinuses etc., to see if there was something going on. All came back normal.

I was still sure that I had a reaction to some food or something but the doctor said that with all the Benydrl that I took that it should have been gone by now. I told her about RADIESSE. She said "awwwww" well maybe we have your answer!!! Although she could not guarantee her diagnosis, she did say that she has heard of this happening to some people. She said that I should contact the cosmetic doctor. I told her I did and explained the complete story and she said that there is nothing she can really do for me expect give me anti inflammatories and for me to take 24 hour REACTINE to help reduce the swelling.

It is now 3 days after my visit to the Hospital and also 3 days into my prescription and over the counter medicine and there is absoluteley NO CHANGE!!!!! I am literally FREAKING OUT HERE and I have NO idea what to do!!!!! I look like a Bulldog and I am in pain. This garbage was RUINED my life. I cannot work or even leave the house as I feel and look like crap.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO!!!! If you have similar stories, please write me.

Thanks for listening...

Updated: October 28, 2008

I have finished my prescription medication (anti-inflammatopries) with no change.  My face has gotten worse on the left side.  The swelling has reduced a tad on my left side in thew upper cheek area but where there was a huge bump is now dead sagging skin.  I am so freaked out.  I have impaired vision in my left eye has my lid is almost completely shut.  New thick wrinkles have appeared in the facial area and eye and forehead that were not there before.  I looked so much better before this treatment was done. I have never left so ugly and deformed in my entire face.

I haver also left 2 messages for my doctor to call.  No one has bothered to call me back.  Any suggestions on what I should do.

This doctor is dishonest.

I had restylane injected in my lips 13 years ago. Yes that's right 13 years ago, and I am still having problems with it. I have permanent pain and swelling. I had hyaluronidase injecte3d twice 7 years ago but it didn't seem to make any difference, and in the last year or so I am now experiencing swelling. As someone already said, these products are evil. They tell you nothing about the real risks when you get the product
Hi Mary. I just got restylane done a week ago in my cheeks. I am frozen on the left side of my lower nostril, lip and cheek. I'm also getting this wicked pain as if someone is throwing acid on my face every so often. Does this sound familiar. I'm freaking out and don't know what to do. Going to my family doctor on Monday (It's Sat. now). I'm demanding an MRI. I think they damaged a nerve. How did you handle this????? I need help please.
Nancy how are you doing?
this is NOT normal and your doctor took vows that said she would do not harm. Did you sign anything beforehand? Your doctor blatantly lied bc lumps HAVE been reported with most if not all fillers. I have had both these fillers with no probs, but my doc said problems occur if the filler (i.e. your doctor) did it absolutely wrong. Then, if the lumps do not get massaged in appropriately, you get stuck with them. Ask other people on this site who have had probs and they will tell you exactly how it should or should not be done, and your doc should be very worried about what he did to you, and should have immediately called the Radiesse reps too (did he?)
OH THE PRICE OF BEAUTY, WHAT A SAD JOKE1 I TOO FELL INTO THE "I LOOK UGLY MODE' AND OFF I RAN TO A DOCTOR WHO I THOUGHT HAD A GREAT REPUTATION.THE STAFF WAS OH SO FRIENDLY,ACTUALLY MADE ME FEEL LIKE THEY LIKED ME.ha ha.THey said they would call me in two weeks and if I wasn,t satisfied they would give me more injections for free,nobody called, nobody cared.All lies, they already had my 1200$ so as far as they were concerned i was history.One week later the area they injected started to swell up,like a big clump that made my face look distorted,now two week,s later the clump is above my lip,and it look,s real ,real ugly.What can I do,can,t sue, so I,m stuck.I,m over it,why should us old ladies keep thinking we have to look young,to please a bunch of fat old men who only have relationships with a computer!!!
Print it
Wow so sorry for so many of you! You know, I have had bad complications from the wrong dr putting juvederm to fill in eye hollows. I got these wormy looking white raised bumps like many got from various fillers. They finally went away. I did all the same stuff many of you did. I went to a better dr later and he said it was injected to superficially and I did what I never thought I would do -- got more injections,m but from the right guy this time and naturally, NO PROBLEMS! Now I want to get filler to round out my face and does anyone know if Radiesse is good for the outside area of face? I know I will need the best doc.
NANCY I AM SO SORRY. I can only say that pray god you find relief, this product is evil and we need to sue the pants off whoever is responsible.
ok i got restyalen injections done to my right eye about two years ago. i was unhappy with the results. After a year I noticed that it wasnt as swollen that the sweeling had gone down and it looked good. then I did ther estyalen injections to my left eye. i have swelling now somewhat but im beleive that it will go down within a year and now i feel that i need to touchup my right eye again in the very lower/very upper cheek area. i guess my point is hang in there and it should get better. maybe youll have to go to a doctor in a eyar or so to have it touched up. go to someone that will udnertand what you feel like ebcause you look like this and can help you.
I am sorry you are going through so much! It can be scarey to be sure. I too had a reaction but not to Radiasse. It was Botox. Needed oral steroids over a few weeks and topical ointment for nasty rash that appeared after 10 days of a drooping draining swollen right eye. My face is fine, just coping with the rash on the rest of my upper torso. Yikes! I trust my Skin RN though. She is certified to give these and does a very good job. She has cared for my face for over 7 years without incident, and under the supervision of a Plastic Surgeon. However it is my understanding that fillers that are thick like Radiasse and Juvederm aren't normally used in the eye area. Botox is better suited for that spot. I would demand to see the Medical Director of that facility, get a copy of your records and then go see an attorney. Sounds like someone either goofed or refuses to acknowledge your sensitivities.
Botox is not a filler. It stops very certain muscles from acting and creating a wrinkle. Fillers fill in depressions, and botox cannot do what fillers do and vice versa.
Did you have any other procedure done with the Radiasse? I had Botox injections at the same time I did mine and had a reaction to the Botox. I too am on a Medrol Dose Pak for a week and will be using a RX ointment. But, as far as what you are experiencing, I would demand to see the Medical Director of this physicians' facility and threaten legal action if this isn't resolved. It is possible that who ever did your injections didn't inject them correctly or hit the wrong spot. Radiasse isn't normally used around the eyes I am told. Just wondering about that one.......
Juvederm should never ever go under the eye area it absorbs too much water restalyne is tricky but best for that area.
I had a horrible experience when I got Juviderm injected under my eyes. I had a huge blac and blue mark under my one eye for WEEKS and lumps and bumps under the other eye. I went to a totally different Doctor/Plastic Surgeon to get this corrected with the Hydase. The doctor that gave me the juvederm injections told me he did not carry the Hydase to dissolve this stuff so I went elsewhere. The new doctor gave me the hydase shots and within HOURS i started to look like old self again. That is what is sounds like you all should get...the Hydase to disslove everything the doctors did with the Radiesse and Restylane. Good luck to all of you. I now think fillers can sometimes be very dangerous!
Oh Nancy, that must be so scary. I am so sorry. It sounds to me like it has got to be either (a) an allergic reaction, or (b), edema in the tissue. I would think that a dose pack of steroids could not hurt anything and might help. They could reduce whatever edema is there and possibly stem any further allergic reactions. It sounds to me that you should seek out another, unrelated, well regarded, plastic surgeon in your area for a consult immediately. Do what you have to do to find someone reputable, even if you have to travel. My understanding is that, although very uncommon, sometimes Radiesse can be scraped out surgically, depending on the area where it was injected, though I doubt there are many surgeons who would like to go that route. I really hope you will get a professional consultation from someone who has a lot of experience with Radiesse. (I had a bad experience with it a year ago with a lot of swelling that did not go down. It turned out to be mostly edema from trauma to the tissue and I saw a big improvement with a simple course of steroids. I wish you the best. --Judy
Hang in there! I am still swollen too under my eyes and my cheeks feel swollen. I went back to the laser center last week and they said it takes about 4 weeks for the radisse to get in/disolve? There gave me hydrocrostine cream and an oral steriod to take but after I was done I swelled up again. I am told it is only temporary, probably as long at the radisse is effective. If that's a year, I am going to be pretty upset if I a look like this for a long time. I am suppose to go to Florida for the Thanksgiivng holiday. I look like a swollen ape! They want me to come back today and do steriod injections and give me another steriod perscription. I am not sure what to do? Can we really take legal action? You may have a better case since he never got your permission. I know I signed a papers for release. I am going to get copies. Keep in touch.
I also had radiesse injections on my face. I have bumps under my eyes and and having an allergic reaction to it. I can't breathe and am freaking out. I am getting worse by the day and feel like the end is near. I was told before surgery that my own fat was going to be used. after the procedure, he told me he used radiesse because my stored fat from a previous botched facelift was not good. He never asked never asked my permission to inject me with it and charged me again and again to try to fix me a botched face job I am looking for an attorney and any other victims that have received this drug.

Linda:
April 27, 2011, I had Radiesse put under my eyes by the advise of a Nurse Practitioner, both eyes became black and blue and after almost one year I still have big swollen welts under each eye. In the beginning I went to several doctors in my area and they said there was nothing they could do. One even went as far to say, buyer beware. If there is a group of women that could band together, I would surely join this. There must be something done about this horrible drug.

Hi, Wow, you certainly had several different tyes of fillers put in your face. I was told by someone on here that just having Radiesse and Restylane done at the same time was not recommended. I would certainly get the opinion from some "experts" if this was safe for you. I know when I had the two products injected, I immediately had brusing and swelling which is normal and should only last for a few days. In my case this did not happen, as I did react to these fillers well after the injections. I am still having problems to this date. It you have blisters this seems odd and I know nothing about this sort of thing happening, but I am sure someone on here is going to guide you in the right direction. I would definately call your doctor though and maybe even another doctor who is not affiliated or knows your doctors as they will always defend each other and their products. It is best to contact a doctor as well who does NOT do injections like a surgeon or something. Please keep us posted.
I just had injections done yesterday! What a horrible experience. I had initially gone in to have sclerotherapy on my legs and ended up have 4 Radisse on my checks and around my mouth, (1) Restylane under my eyes and Juvederm in the nasal folds. Oh yeah, and Botox between my eyes. I most of been totally crazy and going through mid life. I am 45 years old and they convienced me that my face would just "pop" (look so rejuventated) from these injections. Well, needless to say, my face is so swollen and I have brusing around my mouth and under my eyes. I believe I am also having an allregic reaction. I have puffiness under my eyes like blisters. I am going back tomorrow to scream at them. I am trully horrifed too. This is my first experience with fillers. I have done botox before and never had a problem. I think they did way to much and I am scrared that I will look like this for a long time! I am glad to have read your review and don't feel like the only one who is scared and swollen!
Hi, I had 2 ml of radiesse and .5ml injected at the same time. I believe there were 3 syringes in total. I really do not know how much was injected around the eye. All I know is that she injected near thecorner ofmy eyes/eye brows to give me an eye lift, which did not work and she injected around my lower eyes and between my eyes in the upper nose area. What is this hyaluronidase treatment. Where would I find this and is it pricy?? I really appreciate you writing. Nancy