Not Sure Yet If Liposuction Was Worth It--What Do You Think? - Portland, OR

I wanted to write this review for all the bigger...

I wanted to write this review for all the bigger girls out there who are considering lipo. I see a lot of photos on this site of tiny little girls who really don’t need to change a thing having this surgery, and while it’s totally their right, their results are going to be different than mine and girls of my size (160lbs, Size 10) I had my surgery on about a month ago—standard tumescent lipo under general anesthesia for my abdomen, flanks and both inner and outer thighs. No laser or ultrasound or any other bells and whistles, just the “gold standard”. The doctor originally let me know I was not the best candidate since I am in my mid-thirties and he did not feel I would have good skin retraction, and he suggested a TT. In no way did I want to do that surger y, so we moved forward with the lipo despite me not being the “ideal” candidate. I told him I didn’t want to look like a bikini model, I just wanted to look better in my clothing.

While I do think I’ve had some results, I am in the same size clothes as pre-surgery (10), have the same measurements, am the same weight (which I expected) and my results generally aren’t noticeable by anyone but me, which is why I’m not giving this surgery the thumbs up just yet. The doctor said that he removed 3000 CC’s total for all four areas. When I asked how much of that was the tumescent fluid that he injected, he said about a quarter, the rest being fat. So more like 2250cc’s of fat was removed. So far I cannot see one bit of difference on my thighs, either inner or outer. I didn’t really care much about my thighs and didn’t initially want them done, but the do ctor convinced me I should do them too. I hope I am able to see some results eventually.

I was told by a friend and read several reviews that said the pain after surgery was similar to having achiness from having worked out very hard. This was not the case with me. I had significantly more pain for the first week. It was very difficult to get up from the couch or bed from a laying position, difficult to straighten up while walking, and generally difficult and painful to move around. When lying still, I had no pain whatsoever, but I didn’t have anyone helping me so not moving was not an option. Plus, due to all the fluid, I had to get up to pee about every other hour for the first couple of days. I returned to my (primarily) desk job five days after surgery and for the first few days it was painful and difficult to sit for 8 hours. I would swell up some thing fierce throughout the day and it was uncomfortable, sometimes painful.

The worst part, however, was that none of my clothing fit. I had gained 8 pounds (of fluid and swelling) immediately after surgery, and there was no way to get my work pants to zip or button. I had to buy 3 pair of bigger pants as this went on for 1.5 weeks. It was very discouraging to hear my friends say I looked bigger and to weigh so much more. It took a month to get back to 160, my pre-surgery weight and to fit in my clothes again. I had read this could happen, but only a couple of pounds for a couple of days. I really didn’t see any changes for the first three weeks and wondered if he took anything out at all. I still am swelling up in the evenings and suspect I might off and on for months to come. After two weeks, I started back just walking slowly on a treadmill. I have since ramped up my exer cise and revamped my diet in the hopes that I’ll see more significant results. What do you think???

wow sorry to here my stomach was bigger than your and my doctor did a damn gd job on my body some of these dr. just want the money! start workn out on ur stomach u have a muscle now and u will see results
I think you look great. I am also fed up with doctors suggesting TT to me. I dont want to be a model, just want to get rid of the worst lol
Spare Tire- I'm 5'3". I went in and had my inner thighs done today. They finish up my upper/lower abdomen and love handles tomorrow. I have a natural fold in my stomach and he said he couldn't guarantee that it would go away but I'm fine with my fold to discern between my upper and lower stomach. I'm more concerned with the layers of fat sitting on top of my ab muscles that I've been working on. The soreness hasn't really hit yet and I've been out and about running errands. We'll see how it goes when I wake up tomorrow. Then I get to finish my surgery. I'll start my own review tomorrow when I finish with everything.
Yikes! I didnt realize Marilyn was that small. Having been a size 6 in my 20s I know I do not want to get that small again. It was ok back then...but no way do I want that kind of pressure now.

CRZYDVL - How tall are you? I am 5'3" and about the same weight and clothing size that you are. I am pretty happy with my body except for my torso, which is what I just had done on Friday. My doc took out 8 LBS from my abdomen, flanks, upper and lower back. I am still really swollen, but overall its been a huge difference already.
Your tummy does look flatter post op. I'm hoping for similar results when I go for my surgery on Tuesday. It's nice to see normal sized girls posting here. I'm usually about 155+/-5lbs, and size 10. My goal isn't to waste away to a size zero, but to flatten my abs and shrink my inner thighs. I've never been skinny, so I'm not about to expect some sort of miracle with lipo, just a little help where diet and exercise didn't get results.
Thank you. That pretty much is my final result; haven't seen anymore significant changes. I'm glad i did it--but no way would i do it again. Maybe for $2,000, but not $6,000.

In regard to Marilyn Monroe, she was approximately 5'5" and 120 lbs. she had a 22 inch waist, 35 inch hips and 32-34 inch bust. Tiny! People commonly think she was a size 14 because in the 1950's, she WAS a size 14. However, sizes have significantly changed over the decades--today she'd be no more than a size 6.
I think you look totally different than the before pics. You can definitely see a big improvement. I can't wait to see the final result. And by the way...when did a size 10 become a "big girl"?? Wasn't Marilyn Monroe a size 14 or 16 in her day?
I can definitely see a difference in your shape, your side view is totally different! I think that even in you're wearing the same pant size, it probably fits a lot better and doesn't pooch out or look too tight. How are you feeling after another week?
Hi Sonshine,
I am feeling great! My swelling is mostly gone--the last photo posted is most likely very close to my final result. Saw my dr. for a 6 week follow up on Tuesday and he said any residual swelling will be gone in 3 more weeks, but seems to be gone already. I'm sorry you're in so much pain! Hopefully you're better today? I don't regret doing the surgery, but in the end, i personally don't think it was worth the 6k. If i had paid about half of that, it would probably be worth it. I totally remember feeling exactly like you do. It gets better! Hang in there and keep me updated on how you're doing!
How are you feeling? Is your swelling starting to subside? I had my surgery done a week ago on my waist, hips, and flanks. I am in pretty bad pain and I feel swollen like the Pillsbury Dough Boy. I consider myself generally pretty tolerant of pain, but this is so bad it even hurts to touch my skin. It looks like you are going to have good results in the end...I'm really hoping mine are too. I'm kind of regretting the whole thing right now...
Thank you and I definitely will! Feel better soon!
I think you look great and you can def see a difference! I think you should continue to wear your garment and loses clothing such as dresses instead of pants with buttons. You're still healingso you don't want any indentations in your skin from the pants. Just a suggestions, my surgeon told me the same thing and I'm having surgery Wednesday. I'm so excited!

I hope you achieve the results you want and I think you look good!
Thanks for your comment, and good luck to you on your surgery! Let us all know how it turns out!
I might "need" a TT, but i'm not getting one. At least until i'm past a viable child rearing age. Doctor advised against it in the case that i may still get pregnant. He advised it's better to wait 6-7 years until i'm sure i'm done ;)
That's child bearing, not rearing. Although, that too!
The Dr was right- you need a TT. I have had quite a few lipos and 2 TT's It will make a HUGE difference with a TT. I think your thighs look great. I am a big girl too. I got down to 136 (5'9) and size 4. After 3 years I started putting on weight and am back to 180 and size 12. Am going to need lifts after I lose, maybe even another TT. I was told to wear the garment for 3 mo. after my lipos.
Interesting - your 'before' pictures look just like me, but your thighs are much nicer, tighter. i have my surgery April 19th and I am almost 70. i just hope wearing the compression garment will help with the skin tightening!
Thank you for sharing. I think you look great. keep up with the compression garmet, it really helps. You can definately notice a difference in just 1 month. I too had swelling. I kept thinking why isn't the scale showing atleast a reduction, but it is the swelling. Hang in there.
It varies--from what i've read here, each Dr. recommends something different. At my 10 day post-opp appt, my doctor said to wear it at least one more week, but said there's no harm in going beyond that.
How long does it need to be worn 6-8 weeks right? You'll be fabulous by June.
Well, I think you look great. Knowing the goal for bigger girls is to remove rolls and muffin tops your body looks good. Your thighs are thinner and stomach is noticeably flatter. I think you will need to give it more time and wear your compression garment to help speed up the process. Good luck! By the way, I am similar to you and will be having my surgery April 4. I will share my story as well. Keep us updated and keep your head up remember 6 months to see full results.
Thank you for your comment! It varies from day to day on how i feel, based on how swollen i am. I have worn my compression garment non-stop, and plan to wear it at least another two weeks. It really doesn't bug me. I actually find the support it provides to be comfortable. However, i'd hate to have to wear it during the summer!