Operation Boobies Go Bye-Bye - Portland, OR

I have had breasts since I was 8 years old. I was...

I have had breasts since I was 8 years old. I was a D cup at 13. I have never really been overweight, but regardless of whether I gain or lose a few lbs., my breasts don't change. I am now 33 years old, 5'6" 145lbs and a 34H. This is something I have wanted for 20 years. I remember when I was in junior high and high school and I used to use packing tape to tape them down. I was only a size 4, but had to buy up to a 10 in dresses just to fit my boobs. Sigh.

I have always been active and athletic, and as they have grown, they have become more of a nuisance in this area. Especially when I have to hold them to run, otherwise it is extremely painful (even with a sports bra or two). I have been saying all my life that I wanted to have a reduction 'someday'. I guess I never really thought it would ever happen, nor did I have any idea of how I might pay for it. After my consultation this week with the plastic surgeon, it finally became real for the first time.

Like most of you, I have the standard back, neck, and shoulder pain, shoulder grooving, poor posture, but worst of all for me are the headaches. I have tension headaches in the back of my head nearly every day. I have been to the doctor numerous times to find the root cause, and I am convinced it is from carrying all this weight around every day. When I go to sleep, I pray that I will wake up and they have found a home on someone else. It hasn't happened yet.

SO, I was referred to a plastic surgeon by my doctor, and met with him last week. He was very knowledgeable and patient with me. We went through the basics of the procedure, looked at pictures of women with breasts my size, and those that have been reduced to where I want to be (the dreamy C cup). I asked about techniques, asked to see pictures of his work etc etc. Now I wait. They said it will take 1-2 weeks to submit the request to my insurance. After that, they said it typically takes 4-6 weeks to hear back. They said my chances of them covering it are about 50/50. However, they did say that if the insurance denies it, they will appeal, and continue to fight for me until they say yes. Keeping my fingers crossed until I hear back...

Sometimes insurance isn't the best way to go. I was evaluated this past week and based upon my medical hx, the surgeon said she was sure United Health would cover it but the amount of breast tissue that they would want removed might not aethetically pleasing to me. In other words, they'd pay to have 800 grams removed, but she'd be more comfortable with 600-700 grams so I'm going to self-fund. After all, I have to *live* with 'the girls'!
Apparently this is not even an option I can apply for with the insurance package offered through my employer. I will be graduating in June so hopefully wherever I land a job will offer this as a possibility in their plan. Then I just have to go through the waiting period. It's either that our save up on my own now.
Have you heard yet?
Hi, Kat and welcome! Given your bra size and the medical problems that you've been having, I don't see why insurance wouldn't cover your BR. Perhaps a letter from the doc treating you for the headaches might help? Well, good luck and keep us posted!
Welcome to RealSelf, Kat! Thanks for the review. I was a 34H as well, unfortunately I'm a long way from 5'6! I have never been athletic because of my breasts, but since my reduction 6 months ago I have taken up running and I can tell you it is wonderful to be able to move without my breasts bouncing from belly button to chin!
Best of luck with your authorization! Please keep us posted on your progress!