Operation Boobies Go Bye-Bye - Portland, OR
I have had breasts since I was 8 years old. I was...
- 27 Feb 2012
I have had breasts since I was 8 years old. I was a D cup at 13. I have never really been overweight, but regardless of whether I gain or lose a few lbs., my breasts don't change. I am now 33 years old, 5'6" 145lbs and a 34H. This is something I have wanted for 20 years. I remember when I was in junior high and high school and I used to use packing tape to tape them down. I was only a size 4, but had to buy up to a 10 in dresses just to fit my boobs. Sigh.
I have always been active and athletic, and as they have grown, they have become more of a nuisance in this area. Especially when I have to hold them to run, otherwise it is extremely painful (even with a sports bra or two). I have been saying all my life that I wanted to have a reduction 'someday'. I guess I never really thought it would ever happen, nor did I have any idea of how I might pay for it. After my consultation this week with the plastic surgeon, it finally became real for the first time.
Like most of you, I have the standard back, neck, and shoulder pain, shoulder grooving, poor posture, but worst of all for me are the headaches. I have tension headaches in the back of my head nearly every day. I have been to the doctor numerous times to find the root cause, and I am convinced it is from carrying all this weight around every day. When I go to sleep, I pray that I will wake up and they have found a home on someone else. It hasn't happened yet.
SO, I was referred to a plastic surgeon by my doctor, and met with him last week. He was very knowledgeable and patient with me. We went through the basics of the procedure, looked at pictures of women with breasts my size, and those that have been reduced to where I want to be (the dreamy C cup). I asked about techniques, asked to see pictures of his work etc etc. Now I wait. They said it will take 1-2 weeks to submit the request to my insurance. After that, they said it typically takes 4-6 weeks to hear back. They said my chances of them covering it are about 50/50. However, they did say that if the insurance denies it, they will appeal, and continue to fight for me until they say yes. Keeping my fingers crossed until I hear back...