Two Procedures Staged for Waist Hips and Lower Abs - Portland, OR

I am 44 5"7 188lbs. I had a stubborn apron of fat...

I am 44 5"7 188lbs. I had a stubborn apron of fat filled skin from weight loss. I wanted a tummy tuck but with so much fat still in the apron which weighs about 15 pounds I decided to have liposuction to remove it to leave me enough skin to make me a tummy tuck candidate. I live in Salem Oregon and had my 1st procedure August 28th Thursday and my second procedure 5 days later Wednesday September 4th. I had weight loss surgery a Roux n' Y way back in year 2000. I wanted to do this for myself. At this moment I have no idea if the 6,000.00 I spent was even worth it. I have scoured this site looking at before and after photos. I have NEVER seen a person with photos that were as hideous and bruised and swollen as mine. Since I had such a large area to do the dr. decided to do it in two procedures since he was limited to the amount of lidocaine he could safely inject into my system without poisoning me. He did lower abs, waist and hips. He began with the front half of me. When the procedure was done, I felt awesome...zero pain. It took 3 people to get me into the compression garment because it had hooks all up both sides and zippers. I was unprepared for the amount of blood and fluid that would drain from me. They said I would leak a pinkish fluid "tinged" with blood. Whoa... my apartment looked like a CSI crime scene. I read a lot of suggestions and put a shower curtain on my bed. I went through five towels and an old towel. Every time I sat on the toilet the seat was full of blood. If I stood up blood ran down my legs and left drops all over my carpet. I kept having to clean my carpet with soap and water. Grrrr! It was horrible and sore. But just sore. Now the pain meds wore off and I could really feel the extent of what I did to myself. I woke up at 3am vomiting. Like a dummy I forgot to take all the meds they gave me. I went right to sleep and didn't think of it. So I took my meds and forced myself to put something in my tummy. The next day when it came time to take the garment off for my shower I was shocked!!! My stomach looked like hanging raw meat that two dogs fought over. and my left side had a bulge. My little girl parts swelled about 3 times their normal size. I took off the garment and stepped in the shower I vomited immediately while standing and could not even shower I had to go lay back down. My left part apron of belly was hanging lower and looked like I had a piece just carved out of me. I was black and blue and even looked butchered. I cried and cried. All I could think was I spent this much money (I will be paying on this for 5 years) to look even uglier?!? My girlfriends all told me not to worry that my body had undergone a major trauma and results would be far far away. Not easy to tell someone who has their hopes to "do what so many dream of doing" just to be crushed. My hangy tummy stuck to my leg and felt like loose pudding. It was hot to the touch and I could barely stand to move. While lying on my back was the only time I felt comfortable. I couldn't even stand touching it to wash. I just walked out of the shower and laid back down before I fainted. all I could think was I am doing this to myself again in 3 days?!!! OMG I don't know if I can go through it again. Well my second appointment for them to do my backside waist and hips was two days ago. This one is by FAR easier than my belly. The doctor said that large bulge was fluid. Who would have known fluid could hurt that bad! He said they would drain me. He grabbed that piece of flesh and I almost leapt up to the ceiling. He said "yep fluid". I asked him if it was normal to be so bruised looking? He said well, in a case like yours yes. We removed a lot of fat 3.5 liters. He then clapped his hands and said follow me let's go remove some more. First thing he did was put a large needle and pulled out a large amount of fluid. He told me how much but I was already feeling loopy. He said now that should help. To be honest it did help most definitely. The area was hot to the touch and burned and was painful. now I can touch it and most importantly shower properly. Onto my back. My worry is this time I didn't drain!!!! I went through only one pad they put in my garment. No seepage and my garment bed nothing was soaked. I am now scared that I am a fluid hoarder. He told me he and his nurse will have to drain me when I go in in one week post op. I feel like I look pregnant and my belly is hard and numb. I can now put on my garment without crying. So YES IT WAS FLUID. my backside now feels very tight and full and ITCHES. The itchiness is what is driving me insane. The pain in my abdomen, while it still hurts is getting better since being drained. I still think he needs to drain more but I will bring that up to him when I see him Wednesday. These pictures are at 3 days op with the first procedure (which I am now 7 days post op from). I've been smart enough to stay away from the mirror this time. I will keep you all posted.

Worried about fluid retention. Is this fluid? Am I swollen? Am I just worrying unecessarily?

I am now four days post op from the back side of my waist hips. Today I feel FULL of something. I feel like a beach ball and all my trunk is hard and stiff to stand up right. My sides and lower waist are now hot too. No where near like that huge left side bulge on my tummy. I'm quite concerned this is fluid too because as I said in my earlier entry I never drained from my backside procedure. I cannot wait for Wednesday. My left side hangy tummy thing still is bulgier than the right side but since being drained no where near as sore. I think he may need to drain more from that area. I just don't know how to differentiate swelling from being blown up from fluid retention. I don't want to be a problem patient, but this is a lot of money I'm paying to be confused about my healing process. My surgeon did call to check on me Friday and asked how I was feeling. I told him I had no drainage. He said oh well, if you drain you drain, if you don't you don't. He didn't seem to concerned about it. Not that he wasn't concerned about me as a patient, but just that it was no big deal. Hmmm? Come on Wednesday! I'll keep ya posted and take new photos as I'm beginning to feel better everyday.

Second draining

I went to Portland on Wednesday to be drained. They were able to drain 3 liters of fluid from my rt. & lft. lower abs and my backside waist and hips. No wonder I was so uncomfortable. They had one of the directors there who had flown up from Arizona and he came in with my doctor to see me. I realize I'm not the average size girl who has lipo but each doctor looks at my tummy with amazement. Thank goodness I was still numb because my doctor used a turkey baster size syringe with a large needle to extract all that fluid while the other doctor squeezed and pushed my stomach. He told my doctor when will be the next time to see me because I will need to be aspirated a few more times. My doctor said I will be seeing patients Wednesday. The director told him "I don't want her to wait another week to be drained again". So I'm back again on Monday for the voodoo doll treatment hah! I felt instantly better once they drained me. The director told me there is a marked difference in the shrinkage of my skin once they drained that fluid. My healing is coming along. I have some yellowish bruising on my backside but my tummy is back to it's original coloring. I asked about the burning and itching (thank you vickyrose I ran out and bought Benadryl!) They said it's all common and should feel like a sunburn (one heckuva bad sunburn, I think). I weigh 198 today. I was 188 day of surgery. That has got to be fluid and swelling. I've worked too hard to get away from 200 lbs to see that scale leaning toward that number. I will go back to work Monday. I sure hope people aren't expecting to "see" a difference. I hate to have to explain why after lipo I look the same.

17 days post op from front lower abs hips and waist 11 post from backside waist and hips

Tomorrow I have my third draining scheduled for the seromas I have located in several areas of my body. I also have what looks to me like a burn on my right side of my lower tummy. Dr. didn't say much at all about the "discoloration". It was lighter in color and now is a lot darker. No pain just not "normal". I need for him to speak to me more when I ask questions. I seem to get a very short answer to my concerns. The draining is a painful process and it has only been 4 days since my last drain and I feel the pressure and swelling right back in that left side front tummy area. I am going to post new pictures because at this point, I've come to terms with the fact that "it is what it is". I don't know if this will be my permanent shape or if my shape will be similar to the first set of photos when my fat was like pudding. It is now hard and bulgy. I have bulges in other areas too and have no clue if this is swelling, seroma or just a now permanent deformity. I am swollen and "burn" first thing each and every morning. It feels better about two hours into the day. I go back to work tomorrow. They have me scheduled for my draining at 5pm. I'm grateful to have such an awesome boss. She is really working with me through this. They made this surgery sound so easy that I would only need 3 days off work. I had two procedures done in one week four days apart and only took one week off. What was I thinking?! I had to take a second week off. This liposuction surgery is no joke. Who came up with this unrealistic idea of being able to move around in 3 days. Sure you can move but you are in pain and it is progressively uncomfortable the more the numbness wears off, the swelling, the itching, the bee sting pains that come from no where and the BURN!
Pic #1 my tummy from above
Pic#2 my right side with that weird burn mark
Pic#3 my left side with fluid bulge.
Pic #4 decided angle of camera didn't show how big the fluid bulge was so I turned over some

six weeks post op

Well it is now six weeks and I'm going to take pictures every two weeks to monitor my body. sometimes it's hard to remember what we originally looked like making it harder to appreciate all the subtle and not so subtle changes. I believe I'm finally beginning to heal. I'm still in pain. I keep waking in the middle of the night feeling like something is biting my sides. I was told this is common and it's because the nerves are healing. When I get these feelings I cannot stand to have even my garment touching my skin. So I remove it and put it back on two hours later because I can barely tolerate being without it. My skin is hard and feels like I have pieces of brick all around my trunk. These are my latest photos

Pics at 6 weeks post op

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. How are you now a few months out? I'm dealing with a slow recovery as well. And I've developed Orange Peel Skin which is so unattractive and I hope it goes away.
I'm now 8 weeks post op and my body is changing again. the hardness in my stomach is softening up. the skin is a brownish burnt color and now is kind of baggy. I had a good moment of time when it contracted up in the hardening phase. now as it softens gravity is doing its thing. i am pleased that i had this procedure done. my whole reason for it was to lessen the hang in my lower belly. that has been achieved. next on my list is a tummy tuck but not for at least a year. according to my plastic surgeon i will continue to see results for the next 6 months as my body changes and continues to heal. i had so many issues with the fluid collection seromas that my healing really didn't start until a month after my procedure. although far from perfect i look "normal" in clothes. without is a different story but oh well. I will update with my before pictures. i've been embarassed by them.
Hey all. I am now 6 weeks post op and I can honestly say I am finally healing. Oh lord is this a slow recovery! My skin feels like crepe paper and is very dry. I'm just leaving it alone but wondering if I should put lotion on it. I keep doing my massages because I need to break up the fat deposits that are hanging around. My only issue at this very moment is pain. I know I had ALOT of fat taken out and that contributes but it keeps me awake most nights. I keep having those electrical heat pains the doctors have all commented on. It always happens at night keeping me awake.'
I have been not going through an easy time emotionally. it's been one month and I seen 0 results has anyone else seen results at 4 weeks? I was beyond mad when I found out my doctor only removed one liter!! and to come to find out he's not even board certified I was completely misled. I am still trying to have a little hope that I will get some result after spending that amount of money but looking in the mirror and see absolutely nothing and knowing he only removed one liter is completely heart wrenching.. my husband is beyond pissed, I kinda got a little suspicious when they took me back for my surgery and would not let him back with me. any other surgery I've had a allow him to go back with me until they take me to the surgery room. it was some little red flags I wish I would have paid attention but the way his nurses and he talked about himself and a famous person he claimed to have worked on I put all my concerns down. I just need to have faith that I will have some result. I just can't even explain how upset I am that we spent so much money for one liter of fat and to look in the mirror and see nothing I feel like I just handEd him over $6000 for nothing.... I'm just hoping that someone else can tell me they seen a big difference after the one month point. I know all articles claim that takes 4 months to see final results but that's just so hard to believe it takes that long. okay I'm sorry I'm done whining I just want to cry everytime I look in the mirror
Hi Eangel, How are you healing? We're at about the same time line in our healing process so I thought I'd check in with you. Here's what I've got going on. I've been drained 5 times and the last time my doctor wasn't available so they scheduled me with another Dr. Dillon to evaluate and drain me if necessary. He had me stand up and poked me a couple of times (Ouch!) He said "nothing". He told me he doesn't feel any fluid and the hardness is a sign of healing. My tummy looks like an orange peel and he said the orange peel look means that your skin is trying to retract (with the laxity of my skin...I was quite surprised at how hard it's trying to attach itself to my new fat). I left feeling like I had finally began my step to "normal" healing so I could catch up with everyone else on this site. I still have good days and bad days. By bad days, I mean when I feel so swollen and tender to the touch. I cannot stand to have my garment off. I am so excited that the area below my belly button used to hang about 5 inches. Now it is only about 1 inch hang and a total of two inches grab able fat. I just wish I could have afforded to do my upper abs. I'm still hoping that my shape continues to change and that where I'm at isn't where I stay if ya' know what I mean. How does your hubby like your new results? Better yet, how do YOU like your results? Wishing you the best.. FayeAnn
I posted above let me know if you got it..... you are so lucky you have results... anyway let me know if you get my post and explains a little
oh wow I hope you could read through all the auto correctS... I'm trying to do this post and at the same time get my kids up and ready for school ...I didn't reread my post I feel like an idiot Haha it's kind of funny how the phone decides what you're trying to say when it wasn't even close what I was actually trying to say... lesson learned ... re read your post at least twice after after using the talk to text after I'm done I'm with my post!!!!! oh well at least I made myself laugh I hope you understood what I was trying to say =*}
when I was leaving my comment to you I acI I ACcidentally hit send before I was finished.. on the 10th I had lipo on my outer thighs, flanks and stomach. I am still pretty swollen and bruised. much like everyone else I get disappointed when I look in the mirror even though I know it takes awhile for the swelling to go down and see a noticeable difference.. its still scary spending that much money,going to the pain of recovery , and not to mention the emotional rollercoaster, and in the back your mind wondering if it will make a difference. it is very nice Of you to share your story because there will be someone out there that will be going through what you have been going through and find comfort in knowing She's not alone and you're so sweet to respond so quickly. don't you wish you could forward time for a couple months from now and see what we look like? I'm hoping to have my tummy tuck in about 5 weeks. I would like to be healed by Christmas so I could take some nice family pictures. I have such a horrible los office team I've been with my husband for 3 years now and he has never not once ever seen me naked. I can't explain to you how wonderful it would feel to stand in front of him any sexy little bra and panties!!!or to put on a sexy little short tight skirt and with tight top with a little midrift showing!! I want so much to feel sexy in front of my husband and I don't. I think which adds to this is he is younger than me, actually he's the only guy that I ever even dated that was younger than me. I always dated much older men being that he is younger(not a lot) almost 8 years younger, he's very good looking and built. so I'm hoping with a lightweight had my tummy tuck I can once again feel sexy. I mean don't get me wrong I'm not that bad and the funny thing is I get hit on all the time I'm about 147 I'm 5'3 I'm a 34 DDD.... so as you can see I really could use to lose 25 pounds but I'm going to make g out and maintaining my new shape a huge priority. the thought of going to the light blue the tummy tuck every capri expescially all that money. to me it would be crazy for me not to work out and really try and make an effort to have a nice shape for health reasons and my emotional well being.... Ohhhhh wow I went on and on... I apologize you brain is probaly bleedinG nana my friends are family know that I am doing this so I pretty much have nobody to talk to. oh wow look I'm doing it again Haha!!! anyway thank you again , I really do hope you start feeling better soon and hope to hear from you soon almost 8 years
Hello Miss EAngel, Thank you for saying hello. My main reason for leaving this review is because I didn't see anyone my size or shape on this website. There are girls out there that have the hangy tummy and we need love too. Even though liposuction will not cure the loose skin it can sure help for when we can save up for the tummy tuck! I had to let some of the air out of my tire. Today I feel lots better. I'm curious to see what tomorrow will bring once I'm drained again. I think the pain is from the fluid because my right side of my tummy really doesn't anything more than sore. I'll keep posting because who knows, maybe in the future someone else may have a large seroma and they won't feel alone. Best of wishes for your upcoming procedures. When will you be having them done?
wow you poor thing!!! I am glad to hear that things are improving for you. I'm doing the same thing having lipo first and then my tummy tuck. I have a life of my flanks our fights and coming
Tynkertoy1969 everything you are going through I was told it was normal. I had my ads, flank, waist and back done on Aug 13.I will be 4 weeks post op on Tues, it all gets better with time. I don't feel comfortable either without my garment it holds the hanging skin in place. My back only drained for 1 day, my Abs stopped after a week and bruises were totally gone in 2 weeks. The itching has gotten better, I take a Benadryl at night and it also helps me sleep. I still have that numbing hot feeling but it's not as bad. I have hard spots in my back, sides and lower Abs. I read on this site that is was normal and takes about a year to go away. Not worried about hardening in those areas, I just don't want my upper to harden TT on Nov 8. I hope this put your mind at ease. Wishing you a speedy recovery
Thank you Miss Brownsugar053! I am 3 days post op from the backside and it is night and day how this round went. My mom called today and asked how I was feeling, I replied "pleasantly sore". She laughed and said that was an odd thing to say. I told her "Ma, if you knew the first go round, you'd understand; God bless soreness compared to PAIN. My newest concerns are the hardness of treated areas. I will bring all this up to the doctor Wednesday for my post op and second draining. It's darned near impossible to imagine what my shape will be. I feel less wide but not much else. Thank you for your thoughtful words. Have you had the procedure as well? If so, how was your recovery time? Any tips? With kindest regard FayeAnn
TT1969 no I haven't had it yet. Dec. 6, in the DR, TT, BBL, Lipo and BL with no implants. WILL POST BEFORE AND AFTER PICS AFTER SX. Im glad that you are pleasantly sore vs in pain. Im sure that's a great trade off! Wish you continued pleasant healing and speedy recovery!
Heytynkertoy1969 welcome to RS. Well after reading your story, it sounds like you are on your way to recovery and to the "flat side". Im glad that the dr knew what was wrong and drained the fluid and now you are feeling better. I wish you Godspeed recovery and as minimal pain and downtime as possible. post some more after pictures when you feel up to it, so we can see your progress. Peace and Blessings.