From 547 to 185! - Portland, OR

I decided to have the Roux-en-Y-gastric bypass...

I decided to have the Roux-en-Y-gastric bypass (1-6-09) because after I had my first ruptured ovarian cyst I started to gain weight at an incredible rate; despite my recent success with Weight Watchers and still being on the plan. My highest weight was 547, I was 481 the morning of surgery, and now at almost 3 years post-op am down to 185 pounds.

My surgeon was not sure at first if he was going to be able to do laproscopic because of my high BMI, but he was able to! I was only in the hospital for two days, I had no complications related to the prcedure. I had very little pain after returning home and healed very quickly.

There have been a few cons; but nothing that I would not gladly accept in place of the 362 pounds I lost. Of course I have loose skin; it has caused me to have a protruding tail bone, which means I have not padding to sit on because it has migrated too far south. I have also become lactose intolerant, and have minor problems with eggs. I have had a little difficulty finding pills that don't give me the burps, but that is no big deal.

The best pros for me have been complete resolution of my sleep apnea, being able to go hiking again, and being able to play with my niece.

Portland General Surgeon

I had my procedure done at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, Oregon. They have an entire bariatric team, and I gave the rating based on the entire team. My surgeon, Dr. O'Rourke, was a fantastic man who has definately earned his praise as a leader in laproscopic bariatric surgery. I have to admit that he was very cautious when telling me what I could expect; at the time of surgery he only expected that I would get down to 300 pounds. I proved him wrong and came back to my 1 year post-op appointment at 285 pounds. Also, I did not see my surgeon at any of the appointments between the procedure and the one year post-op appointment; I would have prefered to see him a little more often in that first year, but I know that if I had any problems he would have seen me. I was lucky enough not to have problems, therefore did not NEED to see my surgeon in the first year.