Severe Burns from IPL Laser!

2 years ago (8/08) I had IPL laser treatment to...

2 years ago (8/08) I had IPL laser treatment to remove freckling on my chest at a "Medical Spa". The tech. apparently did NOT know what she was doing and I was severly burned.

I now have (2 years later) underwent a Melanage peel, a TCA peel and some micro dermabrassion etc all in attempts to correct the permanent rectangle white boxes that appear all over my chest and cleveage area. I have tried tanning the area, but that seems to only make it worse!

I fear that I am scarred for life - please check out your technician PRIOR to having them work on you and ensure they are qualified to perform this procedure!

Hi burned. What happened to you is awful. Did your scarring ever heal or is the damage permanent?
I am so very sorry this happened to you. If you have not, please file an adverse event report with the FDA. It is vitally important that these events be recorded.

You can file it on line here:

Hi there, What happened to you is just horrible. I would advise you to stay away from anything that is not natural, that goes for machine things and chemicals. I recommend that you mix chickpea flour with some turmeric, mix in some milk or yogurt to make a paste and apply it to the burned areas EVERYDAY! Leave it foe at least 10-15mins then wash it off. Rub lemon after this as this will also help to naturally bleach the skin. I would also highly recommend manuka honey. Every night before bed try Trilogy rosehip oil as this moisturises skin. Be patient. You have survived this long with it so make this a daily ritual. Im willing to bet anything that you will see a difference after a few months. goodluck. if you do try it let me know how it goes. cheers

3+ years later - I still have scarring and...

3+ years later - I still have scarring and rectangle "boxes" all over my chest! If anyone knows of a corrective procedure for this type of scarring - please share! & Please do your homework on your technician before choosing this procedure!

I was contacted by the NY Times, I am hoping they will run this story soon to prevent anyone else from suffering this type of anguish due to an unexperienced technician!

Btw, so sorry that happened to you ;(( clearly you care about your looks or you wouldn't have had the procedure. It sucks being self conscious about the décolleté. I do not have squares. Mine are more splotchy. Wish I had my old chest back. It wasn't that bad to begin with. It's been 3 years & I'm still trying to recover. I'm considering the Melanage peel, Cosmelan or Vi Peel or Obagi. IPL really hasn't helped. It seems the décolleté doesn't heal very well and it constantly peels. Uhg! Let me know if anything helps you. Good luck!!
Same thing happened to me, 2 months before my wedding ;((. I'd post pics but Verizon wiped out my phone. The worst part was the doctor, his wife and son were complete jackasses about it. I had an appt there a couple days later with a part time surgeon. While I was there I asked what they could do to correct the burns. The doctor's wife buttoned my shirt and told me not to show the surgeon. They re-IPL'd some areas with a lighter setting to even out the burns, then tried charging me for it! When I protested the doctors wife replied that they were not in the business of giving free services. I was so upset when I left I called the doctor crying. He said the settings were so low that the corrective IPL they performed wouldn't help anyway! So they tried charging me for something he knew wouldn't help!? No one even said sorry. They acted like it was an every day occurrence... I can't even look at my wedding pictures. ;(
What were your tanning habits at the time you were being treated? Were you on any photo sensitive medications? These are things that play a huge part in someone getting this type of issue from an IPL laser. The tech clearly wasn't following any protocol. The spots are so random to begin with. The settings were also most likely too high for skin type as well. Do you have any updated pics? I may be able to make a few suggestions for you. This is terrible!
Harbor

The pictures should support why I would NOT reccommend this facility! The techs name is Teressa Lorenz.