Severe Burns from IPL Laser!

2 years ago (8/08) I had IPL laser treatment to...

2 years ago (8/08) I had IPL laser treatment to remove freckling on my chest at a "Medical Spa". The tech. apparently did NOT know what she was doing and I was severly burned.

I now have (2 years later) underwent a Melanage peel, a TCA peel and some micro dermabrassion etc all in attempts to correct the permanent rectangle white boxes that appear all over my chest and cleveage area. I have tried tanning the area, but that seems to only make it worse!

I fear that I am scarred for life - please check out your technician PRIOR to having them work on you and ensure they are qualified to perform this procedure!

3+ years later - I still have scarring and...

3+ years later - I still have scarring and rectangle "boxes" all over my chest! If anyone knows of a corrective procedure for this type of scarring - please share! & Please do your homework on your technician before choosing this procedure!

I was contacted by the NY Times, I am hoping they will run this story soon to prevent anyone else from suffering this type of anguish due to an unexperienced technician!

Harbor

The pictures should support why I would NOT reccommend this facility! The techs name is Teressa Lorenz.

What were your tanning habits at the time you were being treated? Were you on any photo sensitive medications? These are things that play a huge part in someone getting this type of issue from an IPL laser. The tech clearly wasn't following any protocol. The spots are so random to begin with. The settings were also most likely too high for skin type as well. Do you have any updated pics? I may be able to make a few suggestions for you. This is terrible!
I was a little tan, mostly self tanner but when I scheduled my consultation she told me she wanted to to it that day, even after seeing me and I asked her if my skin should be lighter first, she said, " no, we can do it today, you will get a beautiful result"....this was at the consultation, she had a patient cancel and wanted to fill that time is my guess. I hesitantly agreed, I wish I would have done some research first . I saw a dermatologist and 2 cosmetic surgeons for help after she performed her service. All of the professionals said that she had killed my pigment cells, given me 2nd and 3rd degree burns and if I ever get sun again those white squares would not tan... They were right, I wear 110 SPF all of the time and just the lightest exposure brings out the white scars and squares. Dermatologist said that this should not be done on darker or olive skin...EVER! I suspected at the consultation but unfortunately I trusted her "expertise".
She should have informed you that you CAN NOT have laser if you have a tan or any self tanner on the skin. Sessions need to be a minimum of 3 weeks after the last tanning session or all self tanner must be 100% gone from the skin. If you have tan the laser pulls that pigment to the surface at very high temp and causes horrible burning like you have. Now this being said IPL lasers can even treat black skin now days. I see many dark skin clients with no burns at all. But each skin type must be treated at the proper settings. An artificial tan and fresh tans react to the laser in a very bad way. Sorry this has happened to you. If it were me I would seal out compensation from the clinic for negligence. They should have advised you of the waiting period of a tan or self tanner.
Great information you shared about self tanners, thanks!!
Hey saw your story and just happened to be reading an article about this ReCell by Avita Medical. It's the most advanced medical treatment I've ever read about it might really help. Hope I helped and sorry about what happened to you
Also read about latisse being used on skin to darken pigment, might want to check it out :)
Over 4 years later- I still have physical scarring on my chest as well as the emotional scarring that this has caused. I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars and have had just about every procedure possible to reverse the damage. I know many qualifed doctors that do a great job - again I just want everyone to know the possibility or going to someone that does NOT know what they are doing!
I hear ya :) I still have scars on my shoulders that are white.I just saw the thing on Latisse and thought id check it out. :)
I only know of a Dr. John Md, that has products for Laser burns.
Just so you know these are not me just some info i came across rosierem 1 Dec 2011 Hey iv been doing dermaroller on my face and it has deffinatly improved loads!! and i know i can trust myself to do it right dont need to risk trusting over qualified idiots that actually dont give a crap and use us like guinea pigs to make there millions! if your interested look on scientia derma roller website there send instructions also youd need to purchase some chiroxy cream to care for your skin after and emla cream to numb skin before procedure. take care sarah
I just read a couple this and am going to copy and paste them. Thought they might be worth looking into. I found another also I will copy and paste to. Hi, I suffered severe hypopigmentation on my face from CO2 laser 10 years ago. I ended up with zebra stripes across my face & it did destroy my life. I did lots of research & found Dr Fiona Wood (Plastic Surgeon & Burns Specialist Western Australia, "Australian of the Year" recipient) director of Avita Medical who invented cell transplants for burns victims (RECELL). I was clinical trial patient where coin size piece of skin shaved from head,skin cells cultured from this piece, face skin dermabraded, cell solution applied, bandages for 10 days, new skin grew with new pigment cells. Scary operation but thank god it worked. I have my face back,(and beautiful brand new wrinklefree baby skin) I am ecstatic and I will always be indebted to this fantastic surgeon and her team. There is a cure for loss of pigment & any sort of burn scar. Dr Fiona Wood is a director of Avita Medical (under AVH on the Australian Stock Exchange). Many surgeons around the world have now been trained to do this RECELL procedure. I believe the US Defence force are now doing clinical trials with this product. Check Avita Medical website to find a doctor & more about this procedure. I went through huge depression & hell after my disastrous CO2 laser surgery but I never gave up hope. There is a solution and a cure. I am living proof. Best regards, Catie
Do NOT try to tan the area that will only make it worse, much worse, for much longer. Do not do more IPL or TCA or a CO2 laser! A 4% hydroquinone cream will help a ton, try Tri-luma, or Obagi Clear. Also, look into Fraxel or eMatrix treatments, that is your scar fixing miracle!
omg I am horrified !!! I have had IPL for over 10 years for the treatment of
Rosecea and it absolutely works for this skin condition. I had a great technician --but once, only once I was burned and it was horrible. turns out the doctor was going thru a bad divorce and was ---too stupid to do the procedure correctly ( I don't really know) it was horrible but lucky for me did not leave lasting scars.....
I went from the ipl treatment to my hairdresser and while I was sitting there big blisters starting popping up on my skin....she was terrified for me and insisted I go back to the doctor that did the treatment.
I did and they were like--oh, that happens sometimes ( grrrr)
the office I went to before NEVER MADE A MISTAKE LIKE THAT.
so I firmly believe it is all in the technique.

about 2 weeks later that Doctor closed his office and abandoned his practice.

I understand how mad you must be but I do believe IPL can be done with great results

my face used to flush so red I looked like I was having a stroke. It was horrible and embarrassing and the IPL did cure that.

its all in the technique.

the people who do not know what they are doing should have their darn licenses yanked and be held accountable.
They burned my arms exactly like you and I was so scared that i will never ever use a t -shirt anymore .. Luckyli someone told me about Go Derm and I went to pharmacy immediatly , thanks to Go Derm I dont have any scar at all today ... but the thing is that u have to use Go Derm immediatly after the burn from 1 day to 5 or after it wont work ... I dont realy know what it is in Go Derm but it realy saved my arms ...
I've heard good things about copper peptides for scarring.
Hi. Sorry to hear what you are going through. I had ipl laser hair removal done years ago all over my legs And had 1st-3rd degree burns over every inch of my legs and had the same exact boxes/circles every where for almost 3 years. They did eventually fade And are now completely gone but surprisingly enough what helped facilitate the scar evening was actually getting a nice deep tan every 6-8 months. Oddly - this started to even out my skin tone exponentially and the blotches began fading dramatically each time tan wore off. This might sound unconventional but this is what helped me. I avoided skirts/shorts for years and it severely affected my confidence. Good luck to you. Also avoid getting this procedure if you've recently had a tan and do not wear creme/lotion or use oil based soap for at least 24 hours before any laser procedure.
I had the same thing on my chest and shoulders. I was tan at the time not knowing you should not have any tan at all when you get this procedure. They deffinatley were up way to high with the laser. I also did start tanning and covering the area that wasn't damaged with laser in hopes to get some color to in the white areas. It also worked for me. All my boxes are gone. I don't tan anymore. But at the time you'll do anything to fix it. Once it matched the other I completely stopped tanning. I would take what ever I needed with me to a tanning bed and cover the non damaged skin. I know folks are going to say this is not the way to fix it but when your soooo upset over the damage you'll do anything to fix it.

You are not kidding! My scars are still pretty clear - and I have done everything- so you put sun block on the normal areas when you tanned?

I wrote you a personal message :)
I still have htperpigmentation all over my chest. If anyone knows of a "miracle" treatment, I would love to hear reccomendations! I have had to change my entire wardrobe - and this has really just left more than physical scars on me! I have tried creams, micro dermabrassion etc etc! Any suggestions?
check out curcumin gel on psoria-gold website. it is good for scars and hyperpigmentation. you can email them and ask them questions and they are very knowledgeable and helpful

Well first, I hope you have consulted with an attorney regardless of whether or not you signed a consent form. This is a clear cut case of malpractice. FL requires any technician who uses these types of machines to be trained properly and/or certified and licensed.

Second, Google Tamanu oil. Studies have shown Tamanu oil possesses a unique capacity to promote the formation of new tissue, thereby accelerating wound healing and the growth of healthy skin. This process is known as cicatrization. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the suggestion!
Ive been reading these horror stories and cancelled my IPL appt for my chest. Just discovered Dermablend body makeup (Macys or online) really appears to cover amazingly well- bruises, scars, birthmarks etc... check it out.