medical tourism nightmare in san jose costa rica

I went to Doctor Alberto Coto Calvo at High Tech...

I went to Doctor Alberto Coto Calvo at High Tech Dental Clinic just outside of San Jose Costa Rica for some dental work and to have veneers put on all of my teeth. This man broke my tooth causing 3 root canals to be preformed while in his care, left me with 10 open margins ( the crowns are popped off my teeth ) and most importantly, he screwed up my bite so badly that I now suffer from severe TMJ, constant pain, can't eat or speak properly etc... The price to fix my bite alone is $35,000 ( which I don't have ) plus thousands more for additional root canals which I still need because of this mans neglegence. This man refuses to refund the small fortune that I paid him and refuses to pay to have my teeth fixed. This story gets much worse.

please, watch this brief video before you or anyone you love leaves your country to get dentistry abroad. I am hoping this will save thousands of people from my same nightmare. Thanks and God Bless...

I can attest to bad work fine by a different dentist in Costa Rica. Reall, it's against the law to speak out and you can arrested? Is that true? I am wondering if I can get anywhere with the system there. I am going to ask for reimbursement of all 16 veneers because I did not get porcelain - instead some kind of plastic. I wouldn't trust the labs there nor the dentists any more. On the other hand, I hid have a positive experience with a medical surgeon there, so of course it's not all Costa Rica, but I just don't believe the standards are followed on dental work. My dentist here could not believe what he saw when he had to glue one on that popped off. He said it simply was not porcelain. Do beware!!! Get verification about the lab - it's an extremely important part of the process.
Dear Netmaker, I was saddened to hear the problems you had with a dentist in Costa Rica. Just as any business, there are good and bad people with questionable ethics and standards. It does not matter if you are a car mechanic or a brain surgeon. Just as if you have your oil changed and some mechanic buys old oil or filter. He may be the best mechanic but the oil sucks. So your statement is true, the dentist may be good but if you do not have 100% control over your laboratory and products, you can get bad dental restorations from your laboratory. We encourage people to have a tour of the clinic and laboratory or medical doctor and hospital before any procedure. No matter where in the USA, Canada, CR or China! It is not all Dentist. What helps protect you is an accreditation like AAAASF, AAACH or GHA. Even more protection is an insurance policy by Custom Assurance Insurance Complany that covers you in the event something goes wrong like it did with you. The cost is not very expensive but worth every penny for piece of mind. Similar to car insurance, you hope you never need it but if you do, you have it! As advise, call the dentist directly and not post negative reviews until you exhaust all efforts for them to fix the problem. Give him a chance as you would want before someone tries to ruin you or talk negative. The law is very strict here and slander and defamation is serious. Recently there was a patient that continued to threaten a medical plastic surgeon and she was black listed into CR and listed a possible terrorist on her passport. Be cautious and try to rectify your problems with the dentist first. Treat all equal and life is good. Just my ideas from experience and life. Blessings Senor!
Of course thank you. I am starting the cordial and confidential process soon. I hope it goes smoothly. I would not ever post anything unless I knew the truth of a situation and had exhausted all means. :)
DOCTOR ALBERTO COTO CALVO

This man messed up my dentistry horribly and stuck me with the bill to fix it. $35,000 for the bite alone, plus thousands more in additional root canals. He and his staff refuse to help me.