medical tourism nightmare in san jose costa rica

I went to Doctor Alberto Coto Calvo at High Tech...

I went to Doctor Alberto Coto Calvo at High Tech Dental Clinic just outside of San Jose Costa Rica for some dental work and to have veneers put on all of my teeth. This man broke my tooth causing 3 root canals to be preformed while in his care, left me with 10 open margins ( the crowns are popped off my teeth ) and most importantly, he screwed up my bite so badly that I now suffer from severe TMJ, constant pain, can't eat or speak properly etc... The price to fix my bite alone is $35,000 ( which I don't have ) plus thousands more for additional root canals which I still need because of this mans neglegence. This man refuses to refund the small fortune that I paid him and refuses to pay to have my teeth fixed. This story gets much worse.

please, watch this brief video before you or anyone you love leaves your country to get dentistry abroad. I am hoping this will save thousands of people from my same nightmare. Thanks and God Bless...

DOCTOR ALBERTO COTO CALVO

This man messed up my dentistry horribly and stuck me with the bill to fix it. $35,000 for the bite alone, plus thousands more in additional root canals. He and his staff refuse to help me.

Lots of work done at Dentavac in Costa arico no problem. Fourth visit is planned glenn
Dear Mr. Glen, I too had lots of work done with DentaVac in Costa Rica. and incredibly pleased. I found out that there are many regulatory boards that clinics can be be involved with. There is a regulatory accreditation board called AAAASF and Promed that monitors the clinics. It is very difficult to meet all the requirements and maintain a good standing but DentaVac has accomplished with both organizations. Just as in any business there is regulations and requirements to maintain good standards. If you build a house with rotten wood the house will fall. Everyone needs to check out the clinic they go to no matter if in the USA or abroad. There are many terrible clinics in the USA and in Costa Rica. That is why there are only 26 clinics in the complete country that are accredited. Many doctors in abroad say they went to various Dental Schools and that is true. But 99% of them went for continued education and very few graduated dental school from the USA. Kimberly, with all due respect, it is not fair to bomb the complete country due to a few idiots. Just like it is not fair to condemn Boston and not visit due to a few stupid kids that bombed the Marathon. It is hard to make everyone happy and you seem to have a illegitimate case and I am truly sorry. I wish I could wash away your disappointment. But some people cannot be happy with anything; even their dental work. In any business if you make 90% of the people happy, you are doing very well. But do not condemn Costa Rica.....please. Costa Rica is a fabulous place to come and have medical and dental procedures completed. Just do your homework, look at blogs, call Promed, call AAAASF and come to Costa Rica for a substantial discount on dental and healthcare. That is why I chose and apparently Mr. Glen chose DentaVac. Many Blessings! Rob
Hi Kimberly, I was really sorry to have read your dental vacation story. I watched your video and It was very informative. I was very glad you mentioned "what a clinic" and your right. It is a good marketing directory for tourism dentists but an awful resource for traveling patients. Many don't realize that clinics get to screen their own reviews so its very biased. I hope you can update us on your dental work. Wishing you all the best and thank you for telling the public your story. I know it is a very hard thing to do.
well, welcome to Bulgaria for dental tourism.
Hi Kimberly!
I'm really sorry about the experience you had, and as a Costarican I feel pretty ashamed, first of all this kind of things shouldn't be happening providing a professional service and second there should be a punishment.
This doctor is a graduated from the University of Miami, must be something you can do with that institution to remove his credentials. Also you can get a proper lawyer an issue him, historically a lot of doctors has lost the title for bad practices, with the right evidences I'm sure you wouldn't have an problem wining this case.
This is the website of the doctor: bestpricedentistry.com
My best wishes!
I did hire a Costa Rican attorney and I had plenty of medical evidence. I even had 3 different Costa Rican dentists ( including one dentist who was on the board for approved opinions with the Dental Coleigo ). All 3 Costa Rican dentists concured with the American dentist for severe criminal negligence. Unfortunately, all that mattered at the Coleigo board meeting was the fact that I complained publically about Doctor Coto. It was explained to me that it is a felony to speak against the reputation of a Costa Rican citizen unless or until that person has first been found guitlty of a crime in a Cosa Rican court of law. It did not matter that I filed those complaints on line about Doctor Coto from my own home in America. I had to flee Costa Rica immediately to avoid being arrested. As far as filing criminal charges or a law suite is concerned, my attorney told me that Doctor Coto would just bribe an official and make the case go away. My only hope was with the Costa Rican dental Coleigo and they cared nothing about justice. Doctor Coto didn't graduate from medical school in miami, he only took a class there. It's not the same thing, but, he tries to make it sound the same. Your legal system in Costa Rica is very corrupt. There is no justice for Americans who are butchered by medical tourism in Costa Rica. I do appriciate your kind words but, I had already tried everything legally possible to make Doctor Coto pay to have my teeth fixed. Unfortunately, your system works against the America victim of botched medical tourism ! Have a nice day ...
You are truly a beautiful, brave and remarkable woman. Thank you for warning others. I don't think any of us can even begin to imagine the horror and trauma of everything you have been through. If you don't mind my asking, why did you decide to replace your teeth with porcelain veneers? Was it purely cosmetic or for functional purposes as well?
I needed a some dental work done and while I was there I decided to get a cosmetic make over with the veneers. My teeth were actually pretty but, I didn't like the color of them. It was much cheaper than in the U.S. so I did it. I would give anything to have my old teeth back. I assume you are on this site because you are looking into getting some dentistry in costa rica. You can get dental work done pretty reasonable at your local dental school. The teacher is watching over them the whole time and will jump in if they ever need to. You might have to wait a little while to get in but, it's worth it. If you have an emergency, you can call them and tell them why and they might get you in right away. I was able to get in on an emergency basis for root canals. Thank you for your kind words. I really don't want this to keep happening to people. Please don't take the same horrable risk that I did. God Bless, Kimberly

I actually joined this site to gather some information on porcelain veneers for my two front teeth I had chipped when I was much younger. Here's my review http://www.realself.com/review/porcelain-veneers-depressed-and-upset-after-veneers . I really regret the decision. Not only due I regret having so much healthy enamel drilled away so brutally, but they are not comfortable. Porcelain will never feel like tooth enamel. My front two teeth were also painful and sensitive for quite a while following the procedure. In my opinion they are just not worth the future risks. They can chip, crack and leave one very susceptible to decay and root canals. I wish I never heard of veneers. I'm completely in agreement with what you said, I'd do anything to get my old teeth back. Cosmetic or not!! I just don't care!!

Doctor Coto has since changed the name of his business to Implant and Cosmetics solutions. You might want to watch my latest video on my nightmare with medical tourism on utube. My utube channel is kimberly4064
these types of things never happen in the USA? do you believe that? hmm..
If a doctor or dentist makes a mistake and injures you in America they do not refuse to fix what happened to you. There are many laws and regulations that protects everyone. If a dentist in the U.S. did a fraction of what doctor Coto did to me they would loose their liscense, be brought up on ethics charges and sued for a fortune. So no this would never happen in America. You are thinking like a Costa Rican. You are use to a corrupt country with a corrupt way of thinking. You are clueless about American ethics and morals ! Nice try tunger1
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I wonder if true, or sponsored by US doctors or AMA, ADA?
It is true. You can watch my latest video where I offer a copy of my medical report and before and after x-ray's. This is no joke tunger1

Im in costa rica now and planning to do the same operation you went through...I'm so sorry about what happened to you and thank you for sharing your story...I hope everything works out for you

Your welcome
Well, I learned the hard way that the constitution doesn't travel with you when you leave the United States.
I watched your video, how awful! I can't believe the loopholes in that country.
The constitution doesn't travel with you with you travel to Costa Rica for any medical and or dentistry. It's really scarry. If you know anyone who is thinking of getting any medical treatment abroad have them watch any of my video's on my utube channel first ( my cannnel is kimberly4064 ) to see what they are up against when they are butchered abroad!!!

your welcome. I hope it helps many

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Thank you for sharing this information with us.

Your welcome