Septorihnoplasty! Love my New Nose and Doctor! HIGHLY Recommend - Pleasanton, CA

I have a crooked nose that has a slight hump in it...

I have a crooked nose that has a slight hump in it. Being a 20 year old girl I am very self conscious about it as it is in the center of my face! But not only do i not like the physical appearance of my nose, I can barley breath out of it. For as long as I can remember I have always been breathing through my mouth, which believe me is embarrassing. Anyways as I got older and into college my nose staring bothering me more. I couldn't stand the way it looked or the fact that i couldn't breath. So I decided I needed to start saving up my money to get surgery to fix this issue. I started looking online and searching for reasons why I couldn't breath through my nose well. Many websites and reviews said that a deviated septum was the main cause. Could this be my reason I thought? To fix a deviated septum would require having a septoplasty. I did some more research and found out that most, but not all, insurance companies cover septoplasties. So I figured i would go to my heath care provider and see a specialist about this. I have Kaiser who in my opinion is amazing! Anyways I met with a specialist who looked at my nose and said that i had a very deviated septum. He recommended I have surgery to fix the issue. He recommended me to meet his colleague who he said had more experience in nasal tip surgery. I scheduled a second appointment with his colleague Dr. Edmund Chong, MD. I met with Dr. Chong and he also told me that I had a deviated septum. He explained to me that if i were to have surgery he would straighten septum, the actual nose shape and remove the small hump. He had very good bedside manners however he seemed so nonchalant about the whole thing. It made me nervous. Is this guy even good? I went home and mulled over the idea for a couple of days. I finally decided to book the appointment.

The day of my surgery came around and I was nervous but yet excited. My nurse was the sweetest woman ever. She made me feel so comfortable and relaxed. She gave me my IV and got me all prepared. My anesthesiologist talked explained to me what she would be doing and what to expect after surgery. Also a very kind woman. My doctor spoke to me before the surgery and told me what he would be doing to my nose and assured me I would feel no pain. Finally it was my time. I went into the surgery room, was given anesthesia and went to sleep. My surgery took about 2 hours. I woke up feeling groggy and weak. I felt no pain though. My nose had a cast on it and drip pad under it. They had an eye ice pack over my face to prevent bruising and oxygen mask on me. I felt great. I went home about an hour later.

When I got home I felt very week and a bit nauseous from the anesthesia. The first three days I got sick about 4 times from the pain pills. I couldn't really eat much but kept myself hydrated. I was surprised with how little bruising I had as I am anemic and I bruise VERY easily. It has now been a week since the surgery and i am very pleased. I go tomorrow to remove the cast and packing.

I will update as soon as I get the chance. But overall so far I HIGHLY recommend going to Dr. Chong!

I'm glad everything turned out for you! My question is did your insurance over the procedure and if so how much did they cover?

Thanks so much for sharing on RealSelf! Hooray for your success story!

Dr. Edmund Chong MD, Kaiser Permanente

My pre-op appointment went great. He took pictures of my nose, explained to me how the surgery was going to go and told what to expect after. I was still nervous! What if he makes my nose worse?! a couple days later I got my pre-op phone call appointment. The lady was very sweet and asked me some health questions. As my phone call with her was almost over she told me "Dr. Chong is a vey humble man about his work. He is one of our best". I told her I was nervous if he was because of his nonchalant manner. She assured me that he was the best but never brags. You have no idea how at great it was to hear this I felt at ease.