Yowch! Hurts but They Are Lookin Good So Far, Really Swollen

Started off with being asked what kind of look I...

Started off with being asked what kind of look I wanted, what shape, how much I knew about restylane. She also asked if I wanted my philtrum injected at the same time. I have never read about the necessity of it and she pointed out where she'd had hers done and explained how it helps lessen the chance of the lips looking fake. I was iffy on that so she said to think about it and we can always add it later.

Has anyone here had their philtrum injected during a lip augmentation and was it necessary? How did that turn out?

So then came the numbing cream, the dental block, the needles. I went with 1cc and a .04cc to fill my lips. The nerve block wasn't painful but it was very uncomfortable and lasted a LONG time. I couldn't feel the restylane going in at all. Once the block wore off at home is when the pain started to get to me. It was a dull ache with stabby pains where the injections went in. I know pain meds are a no-no but I was willing to risk a couple bruises for relief from my throbbing face.

My lips swelled up very quickly and stayed like that all night despite icing them. I took ibuprofen today and they have gone down a bit but that might be a coincidence. I heard that Benedryl works well so I might try that.

Right now they are puffy ducky in the center, stiff and awkward, especially the top lip. That lip has NO creases so it looks like a slug about to burst. The bottom was like that last night and its already less freakish looking, had some lip wrinkles when i woke up so I have high hopes for what they will look like in a few days. Only a few minimal bruises on my lips that I can easily slick some lipstick over. Except that I can't rub my lips together to do that Lipstick Smack rub together thing because my lips are too big/swollen to touch! I just have to laugh.

It's still early but I am optimistic. I was prepared for all of these side effects but I wish I had drawn a picture for my surgeon to show her the shape I wanted. Our definition of pouty was a little different and so was her vision of what I wanted on my top lip. I wasn't clear enough. For the 2 week appt I will bring in a little sketch of the shape I hope to achieve. Overall I am VERY pleased and it was worth it even if I might have paid more than others for a syringe and a half.

5 years later, want Restylane again and realized I should've updated!

I have been thinking of getting Restylane in my lips again and wanted to know what the average cost was these days so I came to realself, I was really surprised to see my own lips in the thumbnail pics at the top of the page under "photos from the community"- totally forgot I had written that review and wish I had updated it sooner!
I am/was beyond pleased with the results of my injections and they lasted MUCH longer than 6 months. I'd say it was about 2 years before they were back to pre-injection size and going through old photos in those years after my procedure definitely shows the lasting results. The freakish swelling was gone in a week and I have no lasting "beads" or weird effects from the injections, they have been soft and natural feeling for the duration. I am very happy I didn't get the philtrum filler because I think retaining a philtrum dip/cupid's bow looks much more natural. A lot of people commented on what nice lips I had, wanted to know what lipstick I was using to create the illusion of fullness, etc- people didn't look at me and immediately see 'LIP INJECTIONS'.

The following photos are from the weeks to months following the injections. The first one looks scary because the soonest post-procedure photo I could find that showed my lip shape was from a zombie themed party (***the blood and bruising/cuts in that pic are fake!!!***)
bala plaza medical center

I've been getting Restylane lip injections for 6 years. I'm going on 2 years since my last injection and my lips are still pouty!! :) I love it!! Yes, bruising is normal, but it goes away fast and very minimal. It's definitely worth the money!!! Restylane IS better than Jeuvaderm. Christina
Personally, I think the lips in the photos above look too big. But some of that is probably swelling. If 1/2 syringe gave those results, if I were her I'd save my money and not go through the pain and risk since her lips must be full already.
It was 1 cc + a .4cc syringe, not just half a syringe. I had a very thin upper lip pre-Restylane.
Your lips look fab! I'd love to see a follow up pic.
they feel and look fine 8) Juvederm is great, my lips were very soft and etc. but afterI have done it 4 times... my lips from the inside were cheese looking... and every time I would touch them i was feeling like I am touching "cheese" ... pretty gross... so I had to go with Juvederm my lips are not soft but they look bigger !
how do the lips feel? are they soft or does restylane cause bumps under skin? are they kissable or just goodlooking?
After the initial swelling went away, very soft and kissable.
ScarletteSquishLips could you please post recent photo of your lips. Thanks
Ive just had mine done today, but only my top lip as when i smile it dissapears, after seeing ur pics it has made me feel at ease as im not the only one who has a top lip like you, i really hope the swelling goes down, be good to see pics of your lips now so i know that the swelling does go down, right now they still feel numb! the side profile of your lips look great!!
Hi Scarlette Squish Lips, Your lips are pretty outrageous :-) They definitely make a statement. I'm sure they look great now but the photos you sent were definitely something you'd need to make up a story for. (smile) Can you send more photos? I'm dying to see your lips now!
5 years late but finally updated. My official story during the absurdly swollen days was that I got head butted by my dog *wink wink*. People who have had lip injections got it, people who haven't had them just think my dog is a jerk.
OMG!!!! R u freaking serious? Your top lip looks like a uniboob!!! These people are lying to you! I would demand a refund!!!
Haha, yep that is a pretty accurate assessment. Luckily the swelling went down within a week and the next time I had a touch up there was zero swelling. So the skin isn't taut like that forever, I have normal (full) looking lips now. I just told people I had a fat lip from an accident for a couple days.
Sheesh I wish that I had the fullness in two lips that you have with one of yours :-)!
so agree. your lips look awesome. can you feel it in your lips? my gf had it and said she felt it for a while like a bead
Thanks! It is now 2 weeks post injections and I can feel a small bead like lump on the inside of my top lip. It went down dramatically when I started massaging it for a couple minutes a day as suggested by the doctor. Other than that one spot, I can't feel the restylane in there at all. The swelling and stiffness in the middle of my top lip is gone, it's soft and natural feeling now.
Ok, I love your lips. I think that they look really good, I have friends who have had it done and I wasn't impressed.
I have naturally full lips - think Scarlett Johansson. My Derm put a little left over from my N/L area in my Lip Border sides. It was done to continue the natural curl I have in my cupids bow & groove in my Philtrum. People with natural full lips like myself seem to have a natural curl & deeper groove in those areas. All my life, when I smile it has caused my upper lip to raise up higher & my top lip becomes more pronounced but this has diminished only a little in my sides with age at 40. So, I think it does look more natural to get those areas done. I hated my lips growing up in the 70's & 80's but finally I'm in vogue..:-)
Thanks for your answer! The surgeon was actually suggesting to fill the groove in the philtrum, not making it deeper with the injections. She wanted that whole area to be fuller and the cupid's bow to be flatter. I think that might have been in vogue in 2008 but I'm glad I didn't agree to do it.