New Woman :) Post Op - Perth, WA

Hi, decided to have the BR after years of...

Hi, decided to have the BR after years of suffering with headaches and bad body image. I was only an E cup (smaller than most on this forum) but still medically this gave me neck and back pain and headaches. Psychologically I always felt fat because of my big chest even though Im a size 12 (size 16 on top). I would have problems buying clothes to fit and would end up wearing big tent type tee shirts.

So I did some research on the Internet and checked out some reviews on surgeons and found Dr Briggs.

First appointment was an hour where he explained the whole procedure, I had photos taken of my breast and he went through the procedure in detail. He asked me for my thoughts and what size I hoped to be if I went ahead with the surgery. I was hoping to get down to a B or really small C cup. He was very good and his staff were fantastic and friendly. I decided to go ahead and get it done three weeks later as there was an opening and I didn't want to hang around waiting for it to be done.

I had a pre op appointment just to follow up on what we had discussed previously and to talk about post op care. Dr Briggs was very good, I was worried I would not be as small as I would like after the surgery so I stressed this point again. He really took it into account and gave me a realistic answer that because of my body shape and chest size he would go as small as he could without making me look odd.

So day of the surgery and I get to the hospital 9am. I am met by a nurse and she goes through usual vitals etc. I watch tv for a bit then get gowned up. I was given ted stockings to prevent clots so put them on too. I was asked if i would like a pre med but I declined, I find that it makes waking up from the anesthetic takes too long and I usually feel worse. I was wheeled in to the theatre and was met by Dr Briggs. He marked me up and assured me that he would make me small as he could.

Woke up feeling a fair bit of pain - about 8 out of ten so I was given some pain relief and it quickly when down to 3. I was a uncomfortable but not in major pain and a few hours after getting back to the ward got up and went to the bathroom. I looked in the mirror and straight away I can see the difference. I feel less weight on my back and shoulders and I look a lot slimmer not to mention my tee shirt fits like it should.

The day after the op I was only on panadol for pain and the anti inflammatory and anti biotic to prevent infection. I felt fine but getting up and down from the bed for a toilet stop was a bit painful. I was still abit wiped out from the general anesthetic. So very happy with my breasts, I'm starting to wonder why I didn't save up for this op a long time ago. There is significant bruising (to be expected) in between my breasts and under my arms and they are tender but not so bad I can't move around.

Second day was much better I felt more alert and needed less panadol. Only painful when I got up and I was a bit stiff so I started to walk around and get the blood flowing. Also make sure you eat some fresh fruit or something that will make your bowels move because after an op it's the one thing that always takes a awhile to get back to normal and can be uncomfortable. My breasts look great very perky and have great shape. Feel like a new woman! Bruising is coming out but this is as it should be still very tender inbetween breasts and up to clavical. Sharp burning pain around my right nipple every now and again but only lasts a short while. I believe this has something to do with the nerves repairing so I'm not worried at all.

3 days Post Op now and I'm not on any pain killers just the anti inflammatory and the anti biotic. No pain killers because I have hardly any pain. I'm sleeping well and eating well. No problems getting up and down apart from a bit of stiffness still. Bruising is still significant but I can see the colour is changing as per a normal bruise so it's mending and repairing well. I cant feel any discomfort around the stitches and only slightly around the nipple area.

Im very happy with the out come. I didn't have drains put in and the scar will look a bit like a lollipop shape, around the nipple and straight down under the breast. I can honestly say I'm really not in that much pain at all. My healing is coming along well even after 3 days and I am so over the moon with the result. I would recommend to anyone to get this procedure done as I feel like it has changed my out look and made me very happy!!!

Dr Briggs is really great. If your in Perth WA hes the guy I would pick. His staff are fantastic and really supportive and helpful. I you have any concerns they are there for you and listen. Going back next week for my follow up so will post some before afters then.

Australia Plastic Surgeon

Ps: have you lost any feeling from nerve damage a month on ?
Bit hard to tell still but they seem to work when it's cold ;) I think only time will tell, but its certainly worth the risk :)
Absolutely !!!!!
Another Australian :) Thanks so much for your detailed account. This website is fanbloodytanstic but a lot of the American sizing, insurance stuff etc is irrelevant as an Aussie. I am moving to Melbourne next month and have researched the best surgeons and feedback about them. Breast.com.au was incrediby helpful also. I haven't been to see a GP yet but I don't have private health at the moment which means I'm going to have to hand over in excess of $10,000 hard earned savings for this procedure unless Medicare contributes anything. Are you able to offer any insight into the Medicare scenario ?
Hi, I got back about 900 for the anesthetist and 1190 for the surgeon so not much. I think the surgeon fees are around about 7500. I chose a private hospital which cost me about 5000 in total. So quite expensive but so very worth it! I can honestly say I look and feel so much better. :)
Thanks Sarah, glad to hear we get SOMETHING back ! I think it's the best $10,000 investment an over-sized woman can spend in her whole life ! Have a great new year's in WA :)
A fellow Aussie! Hi! It makes you wonder why you left it so long doesn't it. It truly can change your life. to go from constant pain, to a life free of it is hard to explain. Not to mention the clear head that comes with not being on painkillers. So happy it's all going smoothly.

Welcome to the community and thank you for the awesome and detailed review.

We are very happy for you and the fabulous results.  Looking forward to you posting your before and after pics:)