Stay Away from LHR (Laser Hair Removal Skin and Vein Center) in Rochester, Michigan

While researching permanent make up, I called LHR...

while researching permanent make up, I called LHR (Laser Hair Removal Skin and Vein Center) and spoke to Kristie Malanoski regarding a procedure that I was interested in. Advising Kristie that I was interested to learn more about Diana Callas' experience with permanent make-up and specifically the feathered stroke used for brows. Kristie advised me that Diana had 30 years in the business and was the creator of the 'feathered technique'. I spoke in detail, explaining that I didn't want an artist that would apply two hard lines on my face for brows therefore, the experience to the technique was vital to me. I inquired about the pictures on the internet, asking if that was all of Diana's work. Kristie, with great conviction stated it was and when asking if she could also provide me with pictures if I came in, she stated that she was certain that Diana was working on a book of her work and could show me. At the time of the appointment, Diana was in her treatment room. There was no one in the reception area to greet pts. She came in and out of the wait area- apologizing and stated she would be right with me. Two hours later, I was able to get in to see her. I waited only due to the fact that I felt that I found someone that would provide me with the permanent make up that I was looking for.

During my appointment, Diana was also preoccupied with her service worker. Still not completely nervous- as she ran in and out of the room, I drilled her with questions regarding the feather technique. Showing her pictures that I had, so that she knew what I was looking for. I repeated to her- I do NOT want two hard lines on my face instead, the feathered technique. Diana went as far as to tell me a story about someone that recently came into her facility, requesting that she fill in her brow, removing the feathered look. I asked her for pictures and she showed one picture on her camera, stating that she needed to get a new camera because hers was not working properly. She assured me that she was 'good' at this and I would be extremely happy. I repeated no less than a dozen times, I do not want to hard lines. She laughed- telling me she understands completely.

During our appointment- I was talking to her about the poster she had up in her treatment room of the perm-makeup, it was a copy of the example pictures she has on her site. I praised her on her work, stating that the website pictures / poster she displayed in her treatment room looked to be great work. She advised me, laughingly again- 'Oh those aren't my pictures, they are my friends that does this in California'. Our appointment time was a bit chaotic. Diana ran in and our of the room, speaking to a roofer, telling me that it's important that she gets a bad quote for her insurance company. At the end of the procedure, after both brows were applied- she looked at me and stated, 'I should have stopped on your left side but, it's ok- I will fix it at your next appointment'. She said, 'don't worry it will be fine, I don't like them because I am a perfectionist but, you tell people that your brows are a work in process'.

When I looked in the mirror, I was mortified to see two hard lines. I asked her about that and she stated, 'don't worry- you are just red and when it heals, they will be what you want. One week later- the brows look the same. I phoned Diana, left a message on her voice mail stating that I was not happy. I received a call back- stating that 'it would be fine'. I have consequently, left two messages to advise her that it is not fine, the work is not what I asked for and wanted to know how she was going to rectify this. Not hearing back- I sent an email advising that I wanted a refund to some capacity as I would not be returning for a follow up treatment and the work was 100% not as she stated it would be. To date, I have not heard back from Diana or, anyone from her clinic. I was charged $450 for the procedure and am paying three times this amount to have them removed, via laser treatments with a reputable health provider.

Diana Callas

Later to find most was false information but, I was told that the owner/artist had 30 years of experience in the business. Leader/developer of a technique I was looking to have done. Pictures on her website, to which I later found were not hers but, owned by someone else. The owner and her employee were very couteous and explained in detail that what I was asking for, was exactly what I would receive. Diana (owner) was a likable and friendly person however, NOT experienced or with, the ability to do the same work she displays on her website.

I'm so sorry to hear how unhappy you are with the way your eyebrows turned out. Have any friends or family given you feedback about them? I'm curious if they are like, "Whoa...what did you do" or if its more like, "Eh, its not that bad" since we are always our own worst critics.

I actually saw two of LHR, owner Diana's collegues and both stated that it was pretty sad work. I offered her the information- and he response was 'I don't really care what others say'. Very unprofessional attitude. I will say this- she did offer for me to come in so that she could look and correct the damage. I opted out- the front of my face is somewhat important to me and- a second chance was definitely not an option. She billed me full payment- and has also not offered to provide any type of refund for the horrible job. I have since paid or removal / lightening of her mess and am excited to say that I am going to Toronto to have the work done properly and as I wanted them done in the first place. I can't say it enough- Stay away from LHR (Lasor Hair Removal, skin and vein center in Rochester, Michigan)

These stories are common! And it shouldn't be this way. An overly confident technician that does not allow you to be a part of the design process and procedure itself, is a very poor example of a professional! You don't mention if you approved the design she chose for you. During my clients' visit with me, I always, always, always, draw the shape, take measurements, and photograph the design prior to any work. They always have a mirror, and we are constantly reviewing the process in small increments to determine symmetry and shape without over doing it. The idea that a client would lay down and not see her brows until they're finished is ludicrous. The goal is to work together to achieve a final result that YOU like, not the other way around. Of course, I guide my clients toward a brow design and color that I feel best suits them, but this comes after being a professional Makeup Artist for over 20+ years! Technician does not always translate to Artist. It's unfortunate that your experience was not taken seriously by anyone at LHR, everything should have been done to address your concerns/complaints.
After finding a professional that handled it exactly as you are saying, I know now that what you are explaining is how the appointment should be handled had I met with a professional initially and not some rookie that claimed she knew what she was doing. When I went to LHF in Rochester, MI. Diane Callas she had me draw them on. I even said to her, I would rather see your design. Her comment was, I will fix it, I just want to see what you were thinking. After I drew them on, over and over and over and over- I repeated, 'you are sure you are doing the feathered look'. I DO NOT want a bold line on my face. She kept saying, 'don't worry Honey, I understand completely what you want'. Well- not the case. They were really bad. I had two dark lines, in this crazy shape, not even and not shaped like a professional brow. I did end up going to an experienced and very professional artist. Her name is Tina Davies, at Toronto make-up. She did the feathered brow and WOW, what a difference. I love them! They look just like hair and not two crazy lines that someone drew on with a marker. And- yes Megan, the reaction I received from people close to me was, 'Oh no, what did you do?!' I can't say it enough- find someone that can provide you with a book of their work. Tina had tons of pictures of her work, hundreds of 'thank you' reference letters. Just a whole completely different experience. I essentially wasted my money with LHR skin and vein Center, as she didn't refund a penny but, thankfully in the end, I found a professional that repaired her work.