Be Careful with Active Fx Laser Treatments - Pennsylvania

A board certified plastic surgeon scarred my face...

A board certified plastic surgeon scarred my face over 10 years ago and I had it recently (Jan 2010 & July 2010) lasered in an attempt to improve the appearance. It was lasered 2x by a Dermatologist using the Active Fx laser - it is now worse than it was before.

Worse b/c it is now more noticeable and a 2nd scar was formed above the intial scar. My dermatolgist didn't put me on any meds after so not sure if this contributed towards the 2nd scar forming.

I should have left it alone and believed people when they told me they did not notice the scar on my cheek. BTW I am caucasian and the scar is white in part and redness will not go away in other parts of the scar.

It has devastated my life, I am extremely self-conscious and don't know what to do or feel like there is no hope it will ever get better. I don't want to live with this scar as it is in the center of my cheek and I am unable to hide it with my hair or with makeup.

I have other scars on my body from surgeries and they don't bother me but the scar on my face is a constant reminder of the mistake the doctor made (and I never should have asked her to laser a slight scar that was difficult even for me to see, side note: she missed the initial scar I wanted lasered completely). I thought laser surgery meant it would be like a sunburn, it never was it was a 2nd degree burn from day 1.

made my scar worse

Hi diane5245,
What happened to you is pretty much what happened to me...except that it happened with the fraxel laser.... a big, outlined area of depressed scarring. The fraxel dual is what did this to me...which was to "repair" a scar from the fraxel repair. I am so much worse than I was a year ago............ when I decided to treat my minor acne scars that made me feel so miserable. Anyway...I seem to have found a doctor and a nurse who care to help. They are both working together and recommending dermaplanning...to lightly scrape off the excess texture and then starting with light chemical peels and working our way up. The doctor said that if I am still not satisfied...we can try a light dermabrasion of the area alond with fillers or a fat transfer. All of this is so sad, I feel sorry for myself and others going through this everyday. Since in your first picture you said that the first doctor improved it for you...just wondering if we can compare those treatments and let me know if this is infact the best course of action. Please do respond... You and I have had the exact same damage...and so hoping to find a resolution to this problem.
Hi Skylara, did you end up getting improvement from dermaplanning and/or dermabrasion? I was thinking of pursuing this too.
Have you made any decisions?
Would you mind sharing the doctors office name?
Unfortunately I understand completely!! Thank you for sharing. I am waiting for my one year to give me review on my 3 Fraxel restores. I am 7 months out and have lots of regret at this time.
Bowman929, Thank you for your kind words. I hope others are not so trusting of doctors, it's about feeling betrayed both physically and emotionally.
Diane

You are a very beautiful!! Remember, you are your worse critic!!

Hi Diane5245,

Welcome to the community. I dont' see much scaring in your picture and you don't look nearly as bad as you think, but I understand it always looks worse to ourselves. I hope your doctor can find a way to help you, have you considered scar creams, some community members have mentioned them working. Please keep us updated, keep your spirits up and know you do look great.

Thanks,

-Britt

I use silicone sheets daily, I would highly recommend them. It is hard to see in this picture, I had been wearing the silicone sheet and notice it is very light when I 1st remove the sheet and it gets more red as the day goes on. I do realize it could be worse but I went from having "nice skin" to having scarred skin because of my own stupidity. I just want to warn others of putting too much trust in these doctors, they are only human but when they make a mistake it affects US for the rest of our lives.

That is a good point and good info to pass on. Thanks Diane!

-Britt