7mm Open Bite, Fixed at Age 53 - Pembroke Pines, FL

I had braces when I was 8-12 to correct seriously...

I had braces when I was 8-12 to correct seriously crooked teeth from thumb-sucking, but was told jaw surgery would be required to fix my open bite. Over the years, I just never got around to it. Once my youngest was out of braces, I had a conversation with her orthodontist and he persuaded me to try a new technique, as he felt confident we could achieve a 90% improvement with a less invasive technique involving plates, hooks and elastics. Two and a half years later, I have a 95% improvement. My bite is closed for the first time since I lost my baby teeth. It's not just the appearance that is improved. I can eat so much easier, and my diction is 100% better. Over the years, one learns to compensate for a defect, so it was amazing how many ways my functioning improved. Cosmetically, the entire profile and lower part of my face changed for the better. I would do it again in a heartbeat ... and wish the technology had been there earlier.

Kistama Naidu

referrals

Do you remember what this technique was called? I have had an open bite for years (the result of a soccer injury on top of TMJ problems) and have been told I would need braces plus a jaw correction surgery as well. The surgery alone is projected at $20k and there is just no way with a husband preparing for PA school and a one year old baby! I have never had braces before but am interested in any alternatives to jaw reconstruction surgery!

What a wonderful thing to read! I am so happy for you!

Did you have to wear your braces for a while before they started working on the open bite with the elastics & plates, or did that begin right away?