I've been following everyone's stories on here for...

I've been following everyone's stories on here for about a month now so now that I have booked my surgery I decided to write my review. I have wanted my nose done for 20 years and I am finally ready to take the plunge. I have hated my profile due to the dorsal hump. I like the front view so not trying to change that part just the profile. I started my search/consults in April...went on 4 and decided on Dr. Chris Hove. Booked surgery today for July 2nd...now the countdown and waiting to get it over with begins. I think this will be the toughest part...I just wish could get it done tomorrow!
Soo exciting you finally found your doc and booked your date!! Your imaging looks beautiful and I look sooo forward to seeing your result!!!!
Thanks...you still on for the 25th?

I'm so excited for you! You are going to love having the bump gone. I know I do. Thanks so much for starting your story on RealSelf. I'm looking forward to following your updates!

Make sure you have a lot of cold drinks and lip balm on hand for recovery because your mouth will get DRY! Here's a list of other supplies you might need.

Pre-op today...12 more days!

I had my pre-op today....went well. Dr. Hove explained how everything will happen the day of. Went over risks and gave me my scrips for antibiotics and pain meds and blood work. I wanted to go over imaging one more time but his computer crashed the other day so he took more images and I am going to come in the day before surgery just to go over one more time to make sure we are on the same page. Paid in full so there is no turning back now!!! I can't believe it's almost here. I am not nervous for the surgery I just am not looking forward to being house bound for a week after. There is a small part of me that is sad I'm getting rid of the nose I have had most of my life even though I truly hate it...it kinda makes me who I am. Anyone else feel that way? But it is time to say good bye and not be self-conscious anymore! Going on vacation this upcoming week so I hope that helps distract me the week before. Probably won't post again until surgery day...until then....

Arnica...pills or cream?

if you used this....did you take the pill or cream...my doc told me to take the pills 1 week before and 1 week after...I bought both at the store today but wondering what others used.
I bought both the cream and pills. Plan on using both since I know the cream works great for my daughter. So I'm hoping it will help me too.
3 more days for us!! Ahhhh!! How are you feeling?
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.  Looking forward to your updates and photos!  Good luck!

3 more days!!!!

I didn't think I would post again but I am three days out now. Just wondering if anyone else right before surgery is feeling the way I am. I've just been obsessing more than ever this week on my nose...looking at it and taking pics of it every chance I get. Sometimes I think maybe I should just keep the nose I was given but then I know how it's the only thing I really hate about my appearance and if I can change it I should. it's just so weird to think something I've had on my face for 20+ years will be changed forever....oh well....Started taking the arnica pills a few days ago and also drinking pineapple juice (recommended by my surgeon) to help with swelling and bruising. Until Tuesday......
Good luck girl! I'm praying for you! :)
I know what you mean. I keep going back and forth with myself about getting the procedure done. I know its just nerves talking. When I look at pictures I know I'm making the right choice, Its just scary.
the fun begins now! :P welcome to the rest of your life

Tomorrow is the day..opinions please!!!!

I can't believe tomorrow is the day. I have obsessed and agonized over getting this done for over 20 years and it has finally come. I am excited more than nervous but had a last minute consult with my surgeon this morning just to go over my imaging one more time. That being said I am posting 2 pictures of my simulated nose...in the 2nd pic the tip is turned up slightly more. Which one do you think is better? I think I know which one I will shoot for but just curious what other think. I also added 3/4 angle picture too! Thanks in advance!
Glad you're ok! Rest girly! We did it!!! :)
Good luck tomorrow!!! Mine is tomorrow morning as well!! :)
I think upturned is a safe choice - I was hesitant about going for any upturn initially because I was scared of the dreaded "ski slope" nose. But my doctor was like "no no, no ski slope, but just a slight incline will look nice and feminine." And the tip usually does drop a little bit. (So even if it looks a little short or upturned right after surgery, it won't stay the way forever). Also, I think EVERYONE feels the way you felt this week right before surgery. It's a big thing but you sound totally prepared. I'm sure you will be 100% happy and the scariest part is almost behind you now! Best of luck with everything tomorrow!

Done but hurting bad

I'll post a more detailed review soon as I'm really hurting but I have a few question for those who have bben thru this already. So ended up getting splints put in and this is def making it more uncomfortable. Serious dry mouth. But the throbbing pain is getting to me a d the pain meds are making me nautilus I've eaten a little pudding a few crackers but have no appetite at all. Should I stop taking pain meds or just deal with the nautilus feeling. Ugh both are bad. I don't know if in being a baby but I honestly did not think it would be this bad. My eyes are also so swollen buried have been icing pretty regularly. Any advice is apricoated. It's going to be a long 2 days. And if day 2 is the worst as I've heard im in BIG trouble!!!!
You'll be okay! Definitely take the pain meds when you feel like you need them... it will be worse if you're suffering through pain :((( Crackers are good, maybe try eating a little bread too? Just to have something solid but bland in your stomach. Drink lots of fluids too, water and juice to get your vitamin C kicking! Even if Day 2 is still really bad, I promise you will feel A LOT better in just a few days. Hang in there!
Wow sorry you aren't doing so good! :-( Did you try doubling the pain meds? I have to take two. I've taken a total of 4 today and I feel SO much better. I've been eating lots and lots of pineapple too. I'm so swollen already though. I don't know if the doc put splints in my nose or not though....if not maybe that's why you are hurting more then I am. Not too much longer girly! We can do this! Maybe just try and sleep through it or even ask if you can get stronger medication? I wasn't expecting to hurt much either but while driving home it really started to hurt bad! I took my meds in the car. Hope you feel better soon beautiful! Thinking of you.

Made it through the night!!!!

Just re read my post from last night. So many sp mistakes thanks to auto correct. Anyway I am feeling much better this morning. Not 100% but man yesterday was so hard for me. I'm hoping it will only get better from here on out. I know they say day 2 is hardest but in my case I think it was day one. I started back up with my pain meds around 2:30 last night but just taking 1 at a time now. I think I overdid it and the meds were making me so loopy and nauseous. I surprisingly got a couple hours of in and out sleep last night which I really needed as I only slept 3 hours the night before. I think that made me feel better too. There is still a lot of pressure in my nose from these splints which I can't take out till tomorrow. As for surgery itself got to surgery center at 6:30 and was wheeling into operating room at 7:30. Like everyone else don't remember anything just waking up in recovery. I think my surgery was done by 10 and I was on my way home by 11:30. Well here's to another day in my bed. Also husband has been great with helping me. I just feel so bad for my kids. Especially My oldest who is 7 is so worried about me. I keep telling him it looks worse that it is but yesterday I was def lying about that.
Sp glad you posted that new pic! I was starting to worry about how badly swollen my eyes are . But we are about the same ( haven't posted a new pic to show it yet though). We had surgery at the exact same time haha! But we are in different time zones I think. Today is going to be rough. My eyes are just crazy swollen! We till get through it though! My husband is being a big help too! Don't know what is do without him. He's basically being the stay at home mom now. Taking full care of our nearly two year old.
Sorry for all the typos.
Omg the eyes are the worst. They hurt so bad. I just keep icing them and that seems to help. I feel so much better today. I seriously thought I may die yesterday when I stopped taking the pain meds. I truly was having a panic attack at one point around midnight. My heart was racing so fast and that never happens. I think it was the pain meds making me crazy. I think if we can get through today we should be good. Husband just took all 3 kids to movies so I have house to myself. Surprisingly kids have been so good and not bothering me. I think I scare them too! Get some Rest and relax.

Did anyone have to take their own splints out?

My doctor put splints in and said i could take them out myself on day 2. I just tried and even put some sailing solution up my nose but they seem pretty stuck and its hurts and just not sure how much I should pull. Not sure I feel comfortable doing this. I have a call in to dr but thought I would ask here too. Do these hurt coming out? Ugh I just want these out so bad!!!!
I haven't heard of anyone taking there own splints out. Did you get them?
I did. They were the internal ones not the outside ones. It actually hurt a little bit but now that they are out I feel so much better.

Day 3

Feeling so much better. Took my internal splints out yesterday morning. That was a little weird and felt uncomfortable coming out. I think it was worse that I had to do it myself. But one those were out I could finally breath through my nose so that was good. Yesterday I pretty much stayed in my room going in and out of sleep and catching up on my dvr. Last night I took a pain med before bed and pretty much slept through the night for first time since Sunday! Don't think I'm gonna take anymore pain meds. Still a little throbbing at tip of my nose but think I can handle the pain. Took drip pad off yesterday. Cleaned my nose with q-tips and hydrogen peroxide this morning. Another day captive in my house. Ugh not sure I'm gonna be able to be sane in my house for a week. I'm not the kind of person to veg in my house but not going to venture out like this so no choice. Hope everyone else who is recovering a good day! I'll also add some pics even though they are not flattering at all. But I know they helped me and are helping me know for reference as to where others are in their recovery.
Cast off day is the best! Be prepared for some swelling and if you're taking pain pills don't forget your stool softener and laxative! Those pain meds really mess you up! I'm looking forward to your pictures! Keep resting and stay positive :)
Thanks! 3 more days to the big reveal!
Looking good girl! I'm feeling better today. I think my swelling is going down finally! And my bruises are turning a little yellow now. When do you get the cast off?

Day 4

Feeling better everyday. Bruises going down and turning yellow. Finally took shower yesterday so that made me feel better. Accidentally hit my nose in my sleep and that woke me up real quick. It must have been itching so instinctively went to touch it. I am noticing my nose is starting to get itchy under this cast which I know is a good thing but a little irritating. 3 days until cast removal!!!!

Day 4

Wow you're looking great! My nose is starting to itch too! It's so hard to not try and scratch it. Can't wait to see your results! :)
Thanks for the kind words...how are your eyes today? Looking forward to our big reveals!!!! When is your cast removal?
My cast removal is Wednesday...unfortunately one more day than the norm. :-/ My eyes are less swollen and are slowly turning yellow. I will post a pic for today...just wanted to wait because in the morning my eyes are really puffy then after a couple hours it starts to look very different. My swelling seams to be moving down my cheeks...are you getting that? I look all chipmunky. Can you breathe through your nose? I'm really stuffy....less so today but still stuffy.

Day 5

Nothing really to report. Haven't taken a pain pill since last night. Bruises going down. Question for cast/stictches removal. Does this hurt and did you take any pain meds or Tylenol before hand?
Tomorrow is the big day sooo exciting!! I am looking forward to seeing your results, you already look good!!
I am feeling exactly the same way you were feeling right before surgery! I have been obsessing with my nose this last week, I kind of feel sorry it's not going to be the same anymore, but I have really hated it for years and years and it makes me feel so unconfortable!! I think it makes sense to be a bit sorry to see it go, after all it's been part of me for all my life! I really hope I will still look like me, just with a refined version of my old nose!! I am super excited now!! I am sorry to hear your recovery has been a bit painful...however I can see the swelling and bruising are going down really fast, I am sure the arnica helped! I am sure in no time there will be no marks left on your pretty face!! Looking forward to seeing your results!!
I was so scared for the stitches and splint removal but it DID NOT hurt. I am the biggest baby who never had stitches before! Glad it went great! Its been one month since my surgery. This week, I am currently hating my nose because there is a small hump again but Dr. Hove did say it would be an up down thing each week were I like my nose and dont. He is SO SO SO caring. I had the worse sore throat and actually pretty sick right now, I think from the nasal drip still going down my throat, called me at 9pm on Weds night to see if I was okay. So glad I found him! The first two weeks after cast removal its so sore to touch. I remember how itchy my nose was three days before cast removal, drove me insane! Glad it went well :)

Goodbye cast!!!!

In less than 3 hours I will be getting my cast off and I could not be happier!!!! I just want to clean my nose so badly! Mostly inside. I just feel like there are all these dried boogies (sorry to be gross!) in there. anyway it's been a long week prisoner in my house so I'm looking forward to being in the outside world again!!!!! Will post pics soon! Good luck to all those getting their casts off today (or tomorrow)!!!
You look beautiful even with the cast on! Can't wait for another update.
ooh good luck with the case off! can't wait to see the results :)
Same here I feel like the insides are so nasty and u can't even clean it well without being scared that ur gonna hurt it well I hope everything goes swell for you and good luck!! I'm on my way to get it off and I'm terrified that I'm gonna hate it and start crying!

The cast is off.....

And I am in LOVE!!!!!! Looks great from profile which is what i hated but from the front it is still swollen across the bridge and length of nose. But I was expecting that so I'm ok. This may sound cheesy but as I was pulling out of the doctors office a strong emotion came over me and i started crying. I just can't believe after all these years(I am almost 37) I lived with this ugly thing (the way I perceived it) on my face for so long and now it's gone!!!! When I came home and showed my husband he said it looked good but said he never had a problem with my old nose! Either way I am thrilled and looking forward to seeing the final result after swelling is gone! So my advice is if you have been thinking of having surgery but scared it really will be worth it. Im just sad I waited all these years. My only regret is not doing it sooner. As far as my doctor he was so great and if you live in the surrounding Philly area I would not hesitate to recommend him. Just one question. For those who are done. I do feel a small bump on the right side of my nose near the bridge when i slide my finger down my nose prob from where the bump was filed down. I don't feel it on the left so that's the only thing that scares me if it will start to show. You can't see it now? Input or thoughts?
your profile looksamazing and from the front the swelling looks really minimal, congrats! I'm 35 scheduled for Rhino in Sept, already wishing I'd done it sooner. Looking forward to more updates!
Your nose looks amazing!!! Really natural, suits you so well!! Congratulations :)
Hey! I am 3 months post op and am too feeling a little bump on the right side of my nose. Not noticeable to the naked eye but I feel it and wonder if it will look bad when swelling goes down :/ hmmmm Anyway, ur nose looks tremendous!!!! It's so natural and u look so beautiful :)

Before and after

Excellent result! Congrats!
Wow!!!!!!!!!I love your new nose!!!!!!!! It's so natural, it's perfect for your face!!!! You must be super happy !!!!!
Your nose looks so good and you were very brave!!! How did you feel after the cast came off? I"m nervous that I won't feel like myself. I"m also nervous about what other people will say/notice.

2 1/2 weeks post op

Meant to update sooner. So far so good. Most of my bruising is gone. Just a little bruising left under my right eye still. I have been using the arnica cream regularly and I was surprised the bruising is still there. Trying to cover up my bruising with make up but you can still see bruising so I have had to come clean with everyone I've seen so they don't think my husband beats me...lol! Tip of my nose is still rock hard and nose overall is still very tender. My doctor warned me about my nose being a target after surgery and it has been true in that my nose has gotten hit accidentally a few times now by my kids and it hurts bad! Still happy with nose although I do notice a bump on the right bridge of my nose but you can't see it. Also I do notice a slight indentation between the bridge and tip of my nose. Hoping that's just tip swelling and it will go away. I can slight see that indentation. Also still have the dissolvable stitches in the tip of my nose which feel like dried boogers. It has gotten better over time and don't bother me as much now but they are still there. Other than that I go back to the doc on July 30th for 4 week check up.
U look so good! Way better than the imaging! I have that small bump too that you are talking about on the right side. I think it may be a callous from what I have been reading on here. It gets big when my nose swells up but usually doesn't show.

Side by side before and afters

Your nose is already looking great and you are only 2 1/2 weeks post op! Congratulations! I am 7 weeks post op, and I also have a boney bump on the right side of the bridge. When I went to see my surgeon with a sinus infection (due to the interior swelling of the sinuses) at about 4 weeks post op, he wasn't worried about the bump at all. Apparently uneven interior swelling can push on the bones, making them stick out on various places. Maybe your surgeon had to do more work on that side and that's why it's showing more swelling. It's hard to tell at this stage what is permanent and what will go away. Please keep us updated.
Wow you have an awesome result! Im happy for you!
It looks soo beautiful!!! Great result!!

1 month post op

Yesterday was 1 month post op. had my 1 month dr appointment on Tuesday. He said everything was healing nicely. Nose is still tender at the tip. Still happy with the results. Still see a slight dip between middle of bridge and tip. Hoping it will go down. Dr said it could still be swelling. Overall even if it stayed like this I'm happy with results. Here are some updated pics.
Looking good girl!!
Gorgeous results!!
beautiful beautiful beautiful! congrats!!
Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

I choose Dr. Christoper Hove as I thought he was very respectful and informative during our 45 min consult. He only does facial plastics which is what I wanted. He did the digital imaging and we tweaked it together. He answered all my questions and went over all my concerns. He seems very down to earth and easy to talk to. I also asked for referrals since there were no reviews of him on this site..one of my biggest concerns about booking him....but after talking with one of his recent patients whose before nose seemed similar to mine she assured me he was a great doctor and she was very pleased with her results. I hope I choose the right doctor...time will tell!