Smart lipo on upper/lower abs - 25 y/o male - Overland Park, KS

I'm a 25 year old male. I used to be a little over...

I'm a 25 year old male. I used to be a little over weight in middle school and as I progressed into high school I dropped the pounds like crazy. I went from a size 36 pant to a 30 (my current size). My body looks great with my clothes on and everyone always would tell me how great I looked. However, I had a 'love handle' and was a little 'jiggly' from losing so much weight (see pictures below). I tried and tried to get rid of the handle but the only things I could tone were my legs and butt from riding the bike for 2 months. Looking into Smart Lipo I decided that this may be what I needed to help get rid of that stubborn fat that I just couldn’t drop. This makes sense if you think about it- men typically store their fat in their torso where women store in in the face, arms, legs, etc.

Looking on this site I found some great reviews on a plastic surgeon that was 2 hours away (in Overland Park, KS) and had reasonable prices. In Columbia, MO the only person I could find was nearly double the price ($5500 an area) and used a larger cannula (so you'll have a larger hole = larger scar) on your desired area.

After a month of thinking about it I finally just said screw it and scheduled a consult with him. I expressed that I was self conscious about my ‘love handles’ and not having any abs because I could never tone that area and the first thing he recommended was some smart lipo. Cost wise was $2500 an area but if you have multiple areas you want to do you get a $500 discount if you schedule your appointments within 90 days of each other (pretty good deal really). So I scheduled my upper/lower abs ($2500) and then my flanks ($2000). I only had to pay for one area at the time because he likes to wait a month or so to make sure your happy with your results and to make sure everything goes ok. Most plastic surgeons, if you think about it, would recommend a bunch of other things (e.g., tummy tuck = more money).

Below is my story of my smart lipo procedure and I hope it helps you decide if it’s right for you!

Day 1: 30 minutes before the procedure I took 4 pills total (two for pain and two for anxiety). Once I checked in I paid and then was taken into a very nice room. I changed into a robe, the nurse took some before pictures (one of the front, and two of the sides) and then let the doctor know I was ready. After that the doctor came in and drew on my abs with a marker (he was making landmarks about where he needs to focus and where the cannula insertion points will be). He went to prep everything and left me with the nurse who injected multiple areas of my abs with lidocaine (this numbs the area). About 15 minutes later I was taken back and the fun began. The most painful part of the procedure was the prep. They used a cannula and filled me with tons of saline and lidocaine in all four of the areas that he marked earlier (this was probably the most painful part of the procedure). After that he began his work with the laser. It was pretty painless; he used a very small laser, inserting it in those four points he marked earlier and moving it all around on the upper/lower abs. You'll feel a weird popping feeling under your skin but nothing too bad. After that he begins his work sucking the fatty saline mixture out. This is a little uncomfortable but nothing too bad. This took about 45 minutes to 1 hour. They kept saying they were so impressed with how much they got out this time (it was around 950 cc of fat/saline/lidocaine!). After that the doctor explained to call him if I had any concerns and to make a follow-up to come see him within the next 2-3 weeks. The nurse then began milking my upper/lower abs (which was pretty gross, even for me since I work in the health care field and see a ton of nasty stuff). A bloody mix was pretty much spraying out of the four holes I had on my abs. She said that this and compression is the MOST CRUCIAL part of the procedure. Although it hurts she said every 3 hours for the next couple of days I have to unwrap my abs, milk them (pretty much just start from the top of my abs and go down to milk the fatty mixture out in the shower). After that I need to double wrap my abs in a compression wraps. Compression wraps help decompress the swelling and help give you the look that you desire. The nurse said she couldn’t stress how important milking the area and compression is for the best looking result. She said so many people give up on that and are not happy and it’s because they didn’t follow directions. They give you plenty of pain and anxiety meds, stay on top of that and continue milking! No use in wasting that money because of pain. The ride home (we live 2 hours away) was pretty painful. I had to take 2 pain pills on the way home and felt sick. Once we got home I hopped in the shower and started milking the area and I was so disgusted at how much came out. The shower floor was filled with that fatty/bloody mixture and I was just so nauseated from it. Not only that but it was soooooo painful. It’s really tended but I just kind of bit my lip and did it. I really want a great result from this and temporary pain is worth it. That night my mom came home with me and changed my bed and put a ton of towels down and I still bled through my two compression wrap, gauze, and had blood all over the towels. Also another thing the nurse said that if your bleeding a lot, before 3 hours is up, that means you need to go ahead and hop in the shower and begin milking early. So that’s what I did. It was so hard to keep up with this the first night, every 3 hours getting up, jumping in the shower and milking my sore abs but it’s going to be worth it.

Day 2: I’m a little worried because they said I could go back to work 2-3 days from the procedure day and I’m still in a ton of pain. I guess I can- I’ll probably be a little slow though. One night of suffering will be worth it because I have 3 days off after that. Once I get unwrapped I’ll take some pictures today.

Congrats on ur procedure...thats the first time I have ever heard of milking your areas...I had vaser lipo and was told to let it drain on its own...Im 6 wks post op and still sore and swollen...par for the course...saw doc last nite and he said progressing nicely...I had quite the mama belly after 3 kids....I am happy I did...doc said usually 6 months for full results...I chose vaser since it suppose to be better for larger amounts of fat removal....Happy Healing!! Keep us posted :)

Day 3 (cont): Work was rough. I only had to go in...

Day 3 (cont): Work was rough. I only had to go in for a 6 hour shift but grr I was in pain the whole night. Eventually I had to take 800 mg of Ibuprofen and then when I got home I was able to take some narcotics and everything was ok again. I took a shower when I got home and uploaded two pictures. Let me know what you think.
you scared me. i was thinking about getting my abs done. now after i read your post, i am not sure i still want to do this. I am a mother of two children, am not sure i can take a day off work (at home with kids). please keep me posted, i want to know about your progress.
Hang in there I know it hurts but it will get better. You are so brave to go back to work so soon, I am 6 weeks out and most of the pain is gone.. you will have good days and bad days. Just know that it will get better. Dont over do it or you will swell up more.

Day 4-6: FIrst off let me say that going back over...

Day 4-6: FIrst off let me say that going back over my previous posts I found a lot of typos/bad grammar/etc. so let me apologize for that. For some reason it won't let me edit it so you'll just have to deal with it. Last night was my 4th 12-hour shift in a row and my pain was much better. Don't get me wrong- I was still very sore but keeping on track with 800 mg of ibuprofen every 4 hours really helped me make it through work. The most painful part was twice when I had to bend down to pick something up. By this time the 4 puncture sites have healed and the milking process is over. I'm just wearing my compression device every day (24/7), massaging my abs, and taking it as easy as possible. I probably won't update that often anymore because now it's simply healing but if anything big changes I'll let you know.
Don't be scared! If I work my tail off in the medical field running around the hospital like crazy and can do it- so can you. The important things are not over doing it and staying medicated even with 800 mg of ibuprofen while at work. No heavy lifting, no bending down a lot, etc. Look at my last two updated pics, they are so great compared to how I looked before. I'm super swollen and black now so I haven't updated any pictures yet but I will keep you all posted. So far it's worth it- but I'll keep you posted. Are you just wanting abs done?
I know! I had no choice though. Working in the medical field we are so short staffed. I ended up taking the narcotics at home before bed, and then 800 ibuprofen around the clock while at work. For the most part I was fine, however if I had to bend down that was really when I almost lost it. I loved my 2nd day post-op pics, but now I'm swollen like crazy and hope those results return. I imagine that's totally normal to look great for a day or two post-op and then swell like crazy for a few weeks until it goes back. I'll keep you posted. I'm off the next 4 days and I am doing NOTHING! :)
Thanks! The milking was so painful but only lasts 2-3 days as the small holes heal. Now I just massage the area, wear my compression device, and take it easy. I'll keep you all updated with some more pics as soon as my stomach goes back to a normal color (sadly it's black and blue right now).

Week 2: Well the swelling has started to go down...

Week 2: Well the swelling has started to go down but my entire stomach is rock hard; and not in a good way (I assume it's because it's still inflamed from the trauma that entire area went through just a week ago). I added some post-op 2 weeks pics today. Also, I forgot to mention that I gained roughly 15 pounds from the inflammation and what not during the first week. I'm finally back down to pre-procedure weight (which is 150 lbs). Overall I'm happy but hope the process continues to improve as they tell me it will. I feel like now I'm just slightly smaller than I was before and less 'jiggly' but not where I hope I will be. I haven't started working out yet because I still have some slight pain when I bend over. Going to give it another week or two before I hit the bike. I have started working on the diet; less sweets and more fruits and veggies and looking at overall caloric intake/fats/etc. I'll keep you all updated and let me know if any of you are experiencing similar things!
I am at 7 weeks and have a big change from even yesterday...now I can exercise with out swelling up .. your doing great .. eat well and keep your spirits up. No fatty foods, and sugar..only good things in! ;)
Great news! I can't wait. I'll keep you guys updated. :)

Well it's been about 4 months. I don't notice much...

Well it's been about 4 months. I don't notice much difference but will keep you all updated. I think I've hit my max and am quite happy with it. I need to continue working out and eating well and ill be quite pleased. :)
Hey! I am 1 month post op and Im totally terrified at my lumpy tummy. Did your hard lumps finally disappear? Mine are all around my belly button area. I've been wearing my garment 24/7 and massaging every day for 15 minutes a day.
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Other reviews on realself.com.