I finally had my jaw surgery done

I would like ask questions to the doctors and...

I would like ask questions to the doctors and members here. I need your opinion. I am going to have an orthognathic surgery as my orthodontist told me to see an oral surgeon. I have been wearing braces for 1 year and 11 months now. I have an under bite and crossed bite. My teeth are all lined up but my bite still bad (well, better than before). I have an appointment this coming Sept. 11th. I don’t know if I need a chin reduction because my friends and family tell me that I have a long face. Also, I am very self-conscious about my cheek; I have a very flat face. Now that I lose some weight, the first thing that my friends notice is my face. When I smile I have a sunken cheek and it seems like my chin is pulling it forward, and it create creases around my mouth. I don’t know if I need a cheek implant or not, I been reading about fat transplant. What do I need to ask when I have my consultation with oral surgeon? If I need some things done in my face (like my cheek or chin) do I need to find an Oral Surgeon as well as Plastic Surgeon? Right now, I will be seeing an Oral and Maxillofacial doctor. But I been researching, there is an oral surgeon/plastic surgeon in my area. I live between Orlando and Daytona, Florida. Is there anybody here who has gone through orthognathic surgery around Orlando or Daytona area? My orthognathic surgery is covered by our insurance, but anything else will be out of pocket. I would appreciate any advice and recommendations.
Thank you.

My surgery was done on the 27th of December. The...

My surgery was done on the 27th of December. The surgery went very well, I am still swollen but I hardly had any pain at all. I stopped taking pain med on the 3rd day, although I don't need it for pain I took to be comfortable and to go to sleep. :) Now, my problem is eating. I am wired shot for 4 weeks, I am only in liquid diet (sucks, bigtime!) I'm living off, apple juice, apple sauce, ensure, smoothies, and soup. :(

My photo update

Latest pic

Latest pic

Eight months later... this is how I look like. ;) I noticed the loose skin under my chin after I have jaw moved 7mm, but that's not a big deal. I like how I look now that before.
Message me.

My doctor did a great job! I will highly recommend him to anyone.

hi why is it cheap?
Hello, Whats his name?:)
Hey I'm supposed to be having orthognathic surgery this year can you inbox me your surgeons info please!? Thank you
Could I get the name of your surgeon? Thanks
Please tell me the name of your doctor..I'm also in Orlando
Could I get the name of your doctor?
Hi! I live in Orlando and my brother was recommended to reduce his underbite as well. Could I get the name of your surgeon?

You look fabulous!  :)  Thanks so much for adding an updated picture!

Thank you!

I just found your review and your pictures look very dramatic!  How are you doing?  After a year, is everything healed?  Are you very happy with your results now?

I am very satisfied with the result. My doctor did a great job! I have no loss of sensitivity, everything works the way it should. I will highly recommend my surgeon if anybody wants to know him.His offices are in Central Florida.

I wonder why you chose not to list your doctor's name, especially since you are so positive about your result.  Was that at the doctor's request?

It was my choice not to put his name, because I didn't know if it's ok to put his name or not. I research his name in here but I did not see it, probably I am his first patient to put his name here :D I recommended him to another Realself member already.

According to RealSelf guidelines, you are absolutely welcome to put his name, even if he's not listed :).  As far as whether he would appreciate it, that I cannot answer :).  I put my orthodontist in even though she wasn't listed, and she was happy for the publicity, but it's possible not all are.

I did post before but nobody answer, so I deleted it. I will try to post my latest pic, so you guys have some idea how it changed my face.
Hey, try posting pictures or posting to the " ask a doctor" section; that will help a lot.
Ops I just realized u got the surgery but pics would still be nice :)
I am a 50 yr old woman, and have a severe crossbite, and I need dentures, but before I get any teeth pulled I need to know I need surgery to fix the crossbite, I've had 3 different dentist tell me that my dentures will never fit properly, and I will always have problems with them if I don't get my jaw fixed. What should I do??
Do it! I was 51 when I had my surgery - upper & lower in 2012. No regrets and not painful. Do you have an estimate of the surgery cost? If so please share........need info for ins appeal.
I am presently waiting to get on Disability, when I do then I'll have a chance to go back to the dentist.. I've had a TIA(mini stroke) I don't have any facial deformities from it, but my memory is now, not what it use to be. and I'll need my cross bite is so bad, between the meds and the chewing all my teeth are breaking off like chalk.. Thanks for the response back.

I'm so glad to hear that your surgery is behind you!! How are you doing with the liquid diet? I'm sure it is pretty old by now, but at least you are 1/4 of the way through with it now.

Please give us an update and let us know how you are doing.

what insurance do you have and how was it covered?
I have Aetna. Before our insurance changed, they covered the whole surgery cost, but now we have to pay 15% after our deduction; still better than paying out of pocket.
I live in palm beach county and I'm having trouble with my insurance company paying the bill for my surgery - upper & lower. I would like to know the cost of the surgery your insurance paid. Trying to find support for the charges. My surgery was $22,000 and they only paid $4,800. Thank you.