I finally had my jaw surgery done

I would like ask questions to the doctors and...

I would like ask questions to the doctors and members here. I need your opinion. I am going to have an orthognathic surgery as my orthodontist told me to see an oral surgeon. I have been wearing braces for 1 year and 11 months now. I have an under bite and crossed bite. My teeth are all lined up but my bite still bad (well, better than before). I have an appointment this coming Sept. 11th. I don’t know if I need a chin reduction because my friends and family tell me that I have a long face. Also, I am very self-conscious about my cheek; I have a very flat face. Now that I lose some weight, the first thing that my friends notice is my face. When I smile I have a sunken cheek and it seems like my chin is pulling it forward, and it create creases around my mouth. I don’t know if I need a cheek implant or not, I been reading about fat transplant. What do I need to ask when I have my consultation with oral surgeon? If I need some things done in my face (like my cheek or chin) do I need to find an Oral Surgeon as well as Plastic Surgeon? Right now, I will be seeing an Oral and Maxillofacial doctor. But I been researching, there is an oral surgeon/plastic surgeon in my area. I live between Orlando and Daytona, Florida. Is there anybody here who has gone through orthognathic surgery around Orlando or Daytona area? My orthognathic surgery is covered by our insurance, but anything else will be out of pocket. I would appreciate any advice and recommendations.
Thank you.

what insurance do you have and how was it covered?
I have Aetna. Before our insurance changed, they covered the whole surgery cost, but now we have to pay 15% after our deduction; still better than paying out of pocket.
Thank you so much, Megan. I don't know where to post it.That's the only place I know that I can post questions and pictures. :( I been waiting for some answers, but I figured nobody noticed or interested.

My surgery was done on the 27th of December. The...

My surgery was done on the 27th of December. The surgery went very well, I am still swollen but I hardly had any pain at all. I stopped taking pain med on the 3rd day, although I don't need it for pain I took to be comfortable and to go to sleep. :) Now, my problem is eating. I am wired shot for 4 weeks, I am only in liquid diet (sucks, bigtime!) I'm living off, apple juice, apple sauce, ensure, smoothies, and soup. :(

I just found your review and your pictures look very dramatic!  How are you doing?  After a year, is everything healed?  Are you very happy with your results now?

I am very satisfied with the result. My doctor did a great job! I have no loss of sensitivity, everything works the way it should. I will highly recommend my surgeon if anybody wants to know him.His offices are in Central Florida.

I wonder why you chose not to list your doctor's name, especially since you are so positive about your result.  Was that at the doctor's request?

My photo update

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Latest pic

Hi, our daughter has been denied by our insurance company for her orthognostic surgery. (BCBS of TN).....they say it is an exclusion in our policy. They have also just dropped us saying we need a new insurance policy due to our brilliant President's new Healthcare reform. I'm 53, and they say we need maternity care in our policy! Can someone please tell me which insurance companies are paying for their orthognostic surgeries? Thank you so much!
Hi Gretchmail, I am in TN as well but have bcbs of. Michigan through my mothers work. It also has denied me 3 times with various appeal letters so I appealed myself to my mothers actual company she works for. The branch of insurance she holds recommended tht. I am waiting to hear back this week or next. Will let u know outcome. Have you appealed yet?
Hi, I didn't have any problem with my insurance. They took care of all the payments after I reached my deductable. As far as the result of my surgery, I couldn't be any happier by going through it. I have to problem at all, I am lucky I guess. Sometimes, on my right jaw, I can hear the clicking if I use it to chew hard stuff, but no pain at all. Good luck to you.

Latest pic

Eight months later... this is how I look like. ;) I noticed the loose skin under my chin after I have jaw moved 7mm, but that's not a big deal. I like how I look now that before.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Two years after

I am more confident with myself. Now I am working in customer service and I have no problem dealing with people. I can say, my surgery is worth it!

You look so pretty and fresh, and your haircut gives a modern touch!! Your face is the best recommendation for your surgeon :)
What insurance do you have
Gorgeous!  You are gorgeous and your result is gorgeous, and you exude confidence.  Congratulations to you, and thank you so much for updating us on how you're doing!
Message me.

My doctor, Scott Wenk did a great job! I will highly recommend him to anyone.