Ready to Quit Carrying Around All This Weight! -Oklahoma City, OK

I got my first BA when I was 26. It was in the...

I got my first BA when I was 26. It was in the 70's, and it was becoming the thing to do. I am 5 ft. 1 in and was under 100 pounds at the time. I had a normal amount of breast tissue but after children they were not perky so I decided to do it.

The first set I had, the only problem was scar tissue. The plastic surgeon would "pop" it by twisting on my breast! Sounds brutal and it hurt like crazy but they were always soft and pliable after that. That set lasted 11 years and I found a lump in my breast that hadn't been there before. After going to a couple of doctors it was decided that I had leakage from the silicone implants and they needed to be replaced. At that time I was 38, divorced and beginning a new job so I had them replaced.

We were going back with the same size but during surgery the PS decided to go a little bigger! I would not have agreed to that - and bigger I was! I have a very small frame and I had between a D and DD size breasts. Nothing fit right! For many years I have just bought clothes larger in the top to accomodate my breast size but as I have gotten older I have started experiencing back aches, neck aches and constant tension in my neck and back.

I have gained considerable weight from the size 3 that I was. I am now a size 10 and wear a 38 DD bra. I don't think it fits right but I have been to the Dr. and she recommended I go to a PS for breast reduction (which with implants ends up being a explantation!) I had never heard of such a thing but after researching the internet here I am! I began to read all the posts and just get every bit of information I could!

I went to the PS a couple of weeks ago. He is the Chief of Plastic Surgery at OU Medical Center. He has an excellent reputation and has done explants before. He said he would remove from underneath in the crease as I had mine put in through the nipple. The scars are gone and really don't even show but guess I will be getting some new ones.

I am 65 years old and have worn implants for the past 38 years. The second set has been in 28 years and I never tied all my back aches and pains in with the implants until recently. I am ready to be free of a back aches and these huge hooters up front. The older you get the more your attitude changes about your body. I used to feel good about them and now I don't like that men always stare at them. They are not who I am!! It is too bad my self esteem was so low that I needed them to feel OK about myself.

Anyway, I am doing this for me. I am single and very content with my life. I will be retiring in the next couple of years or so and want to have my own body back, whatever that may be. With the weight gain I have gained more breast tissue so I know I won't be flat but I don't have any idea what they will look like! All in all, I am a little scared but also anxious to get it over. The job I am in will not allow me to take off until the end of May so that is why I scheduled for June 5th.

Hi Nana, I have read your review and I am glad you are having the capsules out. I had capsules too and they contained the ruptured Dow implants. Take care X
Hi Nana, Just read your review; so glad you found a surgeon that makes you feel comfortable; so, so important I think. My surgery is scheduled for 4/25 and I have days that I get a little scared but reading about everyone else's courage here keeps me going. I took photos to post and then chickened out and didn't post them. Silly I know!
It sounds like we have some similarities in our implant journeys. My initial set of silicone implants ruptured and although I wanted them removed in 1998, I allowed myself to be convinced to re-implanting a smaller set. Now I have symptoms of an autoimmune disorder and am just ready to get them out! Please let us know how things go for you!

It is getting closer to E day!

I saw my PS yesterday for my pre op examination and lab, Xrays and EKG. He is such a compassionate and encouraging dr. I am completely confident I will be in very good hands. He assures me that I will have plenty of breast tissue left after explant and removal of capsules and should be free of much of my back pain. I am sure hoping to be free of many of the "little" aches and pains that have come with these implants that are basically "unexplainable". They are just plain uncomfortable much of the time. Also just have aches in my shoulders and mid back from the weight. This set is 28 years old so I have definitely gotten the "good" out of them if there is such a thing. I am so ready to move on to the next phase of "being natural". I have surgery on the 5th of June and this is May 21st so I am getting so close and really I am not that apprehensive thanks to this site. It has helped me make the decision to explant and wonder why I didn't pursue it earlier. I have to wonder why we all thought these big jugs were so desirable. When I weighed less they weren't this big but still like my PS told me, the natural boob is a tear drop shape not round ball shape! I highly recommend him for someone in the OKC area looking for a PS. Happy to answer any questions as I am so grateful to these wonderful women who so willingly open up and share the most intimate details of this surgery. Without the honesty, pictures, etc. most of us would probably not go forward with explantation. Thank you brave women who have gone before me. I will post the post surgery pictures although mine will not be perky like all the young things on this site. I am 65 and have an extremely great life. I know there are some of us "sixties" women on here who can still kick up our heels with the best of them! LOL.

Thinking of you tonight; I know you're getting real close to your surgery date. It's amazing how fast it comes and goes. I can honestly say that at 5 weeks post surgery almost all soreness is gone so that I'm not thinking of my boobs every minute of every day!
Yes, getting very close and oh so ready! Just want it to be over so I can move on to the healing side. It takes a while to get ready mentally I think even though we all say we want them out! I have been reading since January on this site and have really read some good things and information so feel like am as prepared as one can be when leaping off a cliff! I know I will be healthier not having foreign objects in my body even though I have let them rent space for almost 38 years altogether (counting both sets). Thanks so much for the kind words. Only 6 more days til Explant Day!!
How exciting, Nana!! I hope that you and your family are safe after the horrendous tornado yesterday.

3 days post explant

Had my explant 3days ago and am so relieved. Have been taking it easy as I have had some help which has been so nice. Had hoped for no drains but needed them. I am bigger than I expected to be. My ps was awesome and I highly recommend him for anyone in Oklahoma City. Will update more later.

Just to update. I am now almost a month post op. still have a little soreness but so relieved and happy I had this done. I no longer experience chest pressure and back aches all the time. I am much bigger than I thought I would be but I am thrilled I am all natural and as god intended me to be! I highly recommend removing the implants. I feel better than I have in years and have started losing some of the weight I needed to. Good luck to all in the process. I highly recommend dr sawan in the Oklahoma City area. He is an excellent dr with compassion and great expertise.
It's great to hear how well you're doing, Nana!  It is definitely much better to be natural and healthy!!
Did the doc take them out en bloc or capsulectomy. You look great BTW!! Congrats xx

7 weeks post op

I am very pleased to have my natural boobs back. I am a 38 D due to the fact I have gained weight but now I am not bulging out over them. The bra fits the way it is supposed to

Glad to hear that you feel happy and natural. I have no such experience,I am basically looking and reading posts because I wanted BA,but after hearing so many stories how natural and smaller is better,I am really considering. I habe 4 kids ,small breast that I am thinking need a boots. Plus I am getting divorced so , thinking of it like new me,but really I could use good reassurance from someone who had done it all.
So glad you are happy with your results and doing well! Isn't it great not to have to carry around all that extra weight?
So happy to hear that you are happy with your decision and the outcome. Great to feel better and more comfortable! Congratulations Nanaa65, I think you look great!
Dr. Kamal Sawam

My regular dr. recommended that I use this dr. He has an excellent reputation and is experienced with this surgery. He did not try to talk me into smaller implants. I really liked him and had confidence in him when I went for the consultation. My insurance will not pay since this is removal of implants due to back pain. I will add a before picture before surgery. I wish I could get this done sooner!