Zerona Negative Side Effects - New York, NY

HI – Not only did this treatment not work, but...

HI – Not only did this treatment not work, but created a SMALL FAT POCKET on my eyelid! This occurred after 5 treatments. I woke up on the 6th day and my right eye looked swollen and there was a bubble of fat on my kneecap. 10 weeks later and they are still visible. I am wondering how many others have had similar negative side effects. I certainly think Zerona should disclose this risk! I certainly would not have gone!

New York Orthodontist

I am sharing what happened to me so that others do not wind up with the same negative side effect. After 5 treatments, I woke up with a fat deposit on my right eyelid and on my right knee. They are smaller but still visible...I may seek legal help in speaking with Zerona about my outcome.

What is Zerona? This is not done by an orthodontist...I think you posted under the wrong provider...
Hi Kelly,

We contacted Lisa when she posted her review in 2011 and she confirmed that the provider information is correct. Dr. Fulop-Goodling is offering Zerona at a facility called Just Melt in NYC.

Their website says, "Dr. Jacquie is the creator and visionary of Justmelt.... Now that Dr. Jacquie has helped thousands obtain their perfect smile, she has begun Justmelt to offer the same men and women in the New York City area great outcomes for the rest of their body...."

I hope this helps to clarify.
I had it done and didn't stick to eating/workout plan. The fat migrated to my waist from my thighs! Big mistake.
I read several of the reviews and wanted to share my experience. I did six of the Zerona treatments at intervals of every other day. During this time and for 2 weeks after the treatments, I was advised to do the following: take 4 specific vitamins twice a day (to help with circulation and fat metabolism), eliminate alcohol, sugar, caffeine and carbs, exercise for 30 mins at least 3 times, drink at least 64 oz of water each day and wear Spanx (or a body shaping thing around the treatment area). I wasn't told to eliminate fats and oils specifically but was advised to try and stick with leaner options.

I lost about an inch around the waist, 3 inches around the tummy and 1.5 inches around the buttocks. I wasn't expecting to drop 3 sizes based on my research but I did see a difference and was able to fit into some of my one size smaller clothes. I think I would've seen a bigger change if I actually watched my calories (which I didn't). It was hard enough for me to try and eliminate carbs from the diet. Once the carb intake is gone, you're able to burn the existing fat off. The Zerona treatment helps shrink the cell and the dietary restrictions are supposed to help the overall process. Even after I started back eating carbs, I didn't blow up as you might've expected. I think the results are sustainable with exercise and a healthy, balanced diet.

It was hard keeping up with everything for that month period and I cheated (twice) but I still saw and feel the results. Would I do it again? Probably if the price was right and I had the time to commit to the full regimen.

Hope this feedback helps.
Thanks for such a positive feed back. I was going to say the exact same thing..it is a matter of fact the I lose 15 pounds over the course of my zerona treatment 3days a week for 6weeks..I was so happy I lose this weight that got into another weight lose program..yes I have a pocket of fat in my upper leg, but it was there before and got a little bigger..because of my back surgery I couldn't exercise..but this treatment help me so much..thanks for reading. Russell. From louisiana
So when you go back to your normal diet is the fat supposed to come back? That is not a diet to maintain
I told the doctor I practically survive on olive oil and she seemed pissed and said ALL fats. Good and bad. Because the machine puts all the fats liquified in your body you should have a fat-free diet throughout the duration of your sessions.
That whole no fat thing even good ones does not sound right to me. The good fats are just that good fats and are necessary for good health. The fat they break up is not like the fats we eat, it just sounds like a bunch of crap to me. Somebody pointed out on this forum that just because something is FDA approved does not mean that later they find out there are problems. I hope what ever you decide to do works out.
When you said they said to cut the fat out of your diet exactly how much fat and for how long? If they say cut out the "bad fats" Ok but what about fats like olive oil, canola oil, organic unprocessed coconut oil etc?

Seriously, what cosmetic procedure (surgical or non-surgical) can boast NO side effects?
Question for Lisa in NYC- Were you exercising like the Zerona program recommended and cutting the fat out of your diet?
I have gone to 2 consultations and they both stressed that I would have to 1.exercise and 2.elimate fats and oils out of my diet during the treatment process. I am considering 12 sessions, but I am worried now that something will happen to me if I don't workout or perhaps even after the sessions are completed! I think that maybe just receiving the treatments alone will just cause the loose fat to move around, if you don't burn it off. That would make sense to me. Please advise!

Hello Lisa, First of all, I am sorry to hear about the fat pocket on your eyelid as a side effect. I hope you can get that fixed. I was going to do Zerona as well, but after reading your post I am not. All of the research that I read online claimed that Zerona is perfectly safe with no side effects. Because there are obvious side effects, I will no longer move forward with this procedure. It was extremely helpful to read your review. Thanks & best of luck.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Wow. Sorry to hear you'll need surgery to correct it. Hopefully Zerona will either go off the market or have to warn potential customers. Thanks again for posting. I'll pass along to other women to skip this procedure as well. Best of luck to you.
Lisa,
Thanks for posting.. I was going to do this..but after reading your post..I'm not. The other guys is a "research advisor" aka - "salesman". Who trusts those idiots? Sorry this happened to you. Can the fat deposits be removed?
Emmamich
Hi - Thank you for your kind words...Looks like I will have to have surgery to get it removed so as you can imagine, I am glad to get the word out so others do not possibly wind up in the same situation.
Thanks, Lisa, for your post. I respect your view and opinion a hundred times more than the rep, Jilith, trying to disregard your experience for more sales.
Hello,

As a research advisor to Zerona, I wanted to take this opportunity to comment to the post by Lisa in NYC. The accumulation of fat under the eyelid is a consequence of prolonged hypercholesterolemia, which results in cholesterol deposits under the eyelid. The eyelid contains no real fat pockets; the fat accumulates from behind in the orbital and can push the eyelid forward. Therefore, most individuals experience a broad accumulation based on their genetic disposition or pronounced tissue expansion following cholesterol deposits based on chronic cardiovascular conditions. With that said, any small bump appearing superficial most likely is not due to the liberated fat subsequent to Zerona. Second, the Zerona has undergone extensive analysis to determine the effects the device has on triglyceride and cholesterol levels in the blood. All studies have demonstrated no elevation in triglyceride or cholesterol levels in the blood. Accordingly, this would support the notion that fat displacement to areas like the knee or eyelid would be extremely rare, if possible at all. Most likely, the consumption of 2.0 liters of fluid recommended could accumulate in the fat cushion layer, in turn, promoting temporary eye protrusion. With nearly 60,000 patients treated in the US we have yet to have a single adverse event reported at all; more importantly, a claim of this type. Furthermore, our clinical trial did not document any adverse events. It is important to ensure that before any claims are made that the perceived outcome is actually a consequence of the device. This is the first we have ever heard of accumulation of material in other regions of the body. In fact, a 567 subject study was performed to evaluate if fat accumulated elsewhere in the body following a treatment of the waist, hips, and thighs with Zerona. That study did not exhibit a circumferential gain, rather a reduction. This ultimately proves that the fatty material liberated by Zerona does not displacement to other regions in the body. What areas did you have treated? Did you experience a circumferential reduction in those areas? We do appreciate your post. We do not discourage patients from speaking from their heart when they are perhaps dissatisfied with the process. It is imperative as a company we interact with patients like yourself so that we can better understand how to strengthen our product to better serve the patients Zerona treats. I look forward to continuing the discussion.
Hi - I will look into the science a bit more too. All I know is that this happened to me (trust me I wish I had NEVER GONE AND ONLY WANT TO HELP OTHERS EVALUATE THE RISKS). I have two masters degrees and own a business. I am certainly an educated person who is only telling the truth of my body's physical reaction to the treatments. I read a lot of research on other topics to examine study design, etc. I am guessing that the manufacturers of Zerona were to ones who funded the research you are referencing and the scientists who created the research design were paid by Zerona. Please point me to a copy of these studies. I may be the one unlucky person who had this result but I guarantee you that these changes on my knee and eyelid appeared on the 6th day after my 5th treatment (I drank tons of water). The fat on my right knee can be palpated and is clearly distinct from my left knee. I went for a facial this past Sat. (a woman I have been seeing for 11 years) and she commented on my eyelid. She said it was a clear change from the last time she saw me. Please respond and let me know what your background is and why you felt the need to basically discredit the truth that I am providing here to warn others.
Correction to your post....there have been adverse events reported. Check the FDA website. I myself have experienced a serious injury unrelated to this specific complaint.
Sharon
Hi - I am just hoping to help others realize that however unlikely ...this side effect exists and is not published by the sellers or manufacturer of Zerona.

ps I have read of this effect from others online.
There is no proof this condition you are claiming is caused by Zerona. You should stop making these claims...it's not fair and it sounds self righteous... I have no dog in this fight, I I'm researching the procedure and I appreciate you info/warning BUT YOUR DELIVERY IS NOT FAIR. And could land you in court. You don't have ANY PROOF TO BACK YOU UP EITHER...
Thank you for your helpful post Lisa. As someone who had bad side effects from CoolSculpting I appreciate you taking the time to inform others of your experience. I hope since your post you were able to remedy the situation.
Sharon
Hi - I guess I was not clear (sorry)...The Zerona treatment was directed to my thighs, buttocks, tummy BUT resulted in fat MIGRATING to my right kneecap and right eyelid (hence the fat bubble in those areas which came after 5 treatments:( Thus it appears that Zerona does loosen the fat into the circulatory system but my body could not eliminate/metabolize the fat and so I now have a fat deposit in two places as a result.

Ohhh, okay. Thanks for clarifying. I understand now. That side effect had never occurred to me but it does make sense.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you but I hope you're able to find a way to correct it.

I've never heard of Zerona on the eyelids... is that a typo or is it really possible?