TCA 40% Way to Strong. I Got 2nd Degree Burns, From TCA on Ebay - Nyack, NY

I did a 40% peel on my face and neck. I knew...

I did a 40% peel on my face and neck. I knew something right away was wrong because the frosting was like snow covering my face and neck not frost. And the pain was excruciating..I left the tca on for about 90 seconds or less. The frosting lasted about a half hour then my skin turned maroonish/brown .I have light/olive skin. the next 12 hours some of my skin actually peeled and it was raw red underneath.I knew for sure I got a serious burn.I went to the hospital emergency room .I recieved a prescription of (Silver Sulfadiazine).first 10 days then added Bacitracin Zinc Ointment afterwards to moisterize and stop all infection that may happen.Anyways thank GOD after 4 weeks everything is back to normal..The skin looks just a little better.There is still a little pink skin in small areas .And now use sunscreen..IF you ever do a home TCA peel at home start 10% first and never ever go over 30%.Never drop tca in eyes you will go blind.

I bought the 100% TCA on ebay from a seller.The...

I bought the 100% TCA on ebay from a seller.The TCA was pure according to the seller which probably was . Even though they say 40% peels are ok for experience users,it is not. For tattoos that are not on face or neck maybe some people use this extremely high percentage.

One thing I have to add the Bacitracin Zinc...

One thing I have to add the Bacitracin Zinc Ointment.I stopped using after 3 days because it was causing acne . It's base is petroleum jelly which clogs pores.So I just continued using the Silver Sulfadiazine and mixing it with 50% sunblock when gioing out into the sun.

I have a question in regards to fraxel dual non abrasive. Just got one done today. How long before I can get a TCA peeling? I bought 8% and 12.50% MUAC. Thanks for your help
Yeah, 40 percent TCA is definitely too strong for the neck, and a bit strong for most faces, I'd think. I used 30 percent on my neck once and it took a rather long time to heal. It did heal, and my neck is great now but I'll never used that potency on my neck again.
yes 40% is way too strong.Always use a low percentage .I bought mine on ebay.And how I made a mistake is that the seller mentioned that some of her buyers used 40%. So by reading that I thought that it was ok to use that high of a percentage.Maybe she was talking about 40% to remove tattoos.But for the face and neck no more than 25% is high enough
You can use 30% or even 35% on the face (not the neck) *if* you've worked your way up to that level with months of Retin-A and several previous peels (and of course provided your skin isn't sensitive to the TCA acid). I've used 35% strength on my face recently and it worked fine, though it does take about 10 days to fully heal.

I have just completed my third tca peel this year. I began with a 25% peel. OH BOY! PAIN!! After three at home peels I have learned a few things. My first two peels, I swiped the acid on as fast as I could and danced and stomped and cried and spewed snot like a big dog. I could not make it to the five minute mark no matter what, and I have given birth five times....unmedicated! I dove face first into a bowl of cold water/ baking soda. The third and most successful time, I only applied the tca to small sections of my face. I did my forehead in 3 different sections, nose in two sections, cheeks, chin, upper lip, under eyes and so on. I was able to bear the pain in small amounts and never had to neutralize. The most painful to me are the upper lip and under eyes! Putting the tca on my nose instantly turns on the snot faucet. This took me about an hour total to do sitting in front of the tv late at night all by myself and my little hand held fan. The pain always subsided to very tolerable right at the two minute mark. I was also able to apply a second coat with this method. The other important thing that I learned is that different areas of my face can take different strengths of tca. My nose and forehead could withstand a higher percentage I think, while my neck is very very sensitive and should probably take a 12% tca. The rest of my face tolerates the 25% quite well. After 3 at home peels my skin has amazed me. No more age spots and brown patches, pores are much smaller, and skin feels and looks younger and smoother and the color is so even peachy creamy. I am 50 so I have a few wrinkles, and I honestly can't say if they have changed much but the wrinkles have never bothered me (I have worked hard for them) but the yucky brown and mottled skin was horrible and now it's all gone. I will keep doing the tca peels whenever I know I definetly have a week were no one will see me. Skin is basically renewed and back to normal at one week (with a little make up).

I do a 30% lactic acid peel and I feel nothing. Im thinking to bring it up to 50%. But my skin is like living marble, since I have done so many thing's to it. I guess everyone is different and has different tolerances. If I apply something and it burns, even slightly (chemical peels should sting at worst) I immediantly wash it off, that's your body telling you it's not right and if you don't change it, it will damage the nerves.
Lactic Acid is very different from TCA. TCA is not done by estheticians. They are done by medical doctors. And 40% is insane. I have only seen strenths up to 25%. I did a 20% recently and my entire face is peeling off in sheaths but I peeled off some of my age spots which is awesome. Vee49030 I used to do 70% glycol acid and that is nothing compared to the 20% TCA. Glycolic, Lactic, and Salicylic acid peel are way more gentle then TCA peels.
Thanks for the input Devi, I had no idea there was even much of a difference!
Your telling me 40% is insane.The idiot that sold me the TCA on ebay had directions included with the package,that stated for experience users 40% is often used.Since I did a 20% tca peel a couple of years I thought it would be ok to use 40% Wow was I ever wrong.That is why I shared my experience with others just to warn people the danger in tca peels
I have an estheticians licence and just finished University to be an RN and I am studying for the NCLEX (nursing state board exam). I never practiced as an esthetician and I went to school to be an RN because I want to work in a medi spa. Anyway, my point is I find it odd that any old Joe can sell this stuff online. I was reading another review where someone put 100% TCA on their skin. Not everyone does all the research that is necessary so people are doing everything correctly. I never practiced as an esthetician and I am not preaching at all. I just find it so odd that anyone can sell this stuff on eBay or Amazon. By the way if people are looking to buy TCA I was referred to a company Skin Obsession (it would not allow me to post the web site but it is the same as the name) and the owner is great. If you have any questions she will respond to your emails ASAP. The strongest TCA they sell is 25% but they sell a bunch of other peels too. I have no investment in this company but I just find the customer service is top notch.

And we are so grateful that you did decide to post and share your experience. Would love to hear how you are doing now? I know you had mentioned things pretty much went back to normal after the 4th week, but I'm curious if you have noticed any differences in your skin as a result?

Actually on my neck there are still a little light pink spots.But I was told from doc that eventually that will heal completely since the skin (blanches) .That means by applying a little pressure by lets say a finger on the pink spots the skin turns to normal color for a second or so.If the skin dosn't blanch that means that there will be a scar.Anyways I don't think I will be doing any more peels,since the improvement to skin is not really what I was hoping for.Thanks for asking.I am actually male by the way and I have to say by your picture you are very attractive
It was very helpful that you posted this skinner, to help people make better choices. Luckily for you it sounds like you are going to heal just fine. I am going to keep using gentler peels and work my way up, and if I feel strong enough I'll move to a 10% TCA and eventually work my way up to 25%. I also think it's best to use a peel if your skin feels dry and rough. Salon Microdermabrasion might be a better option for more sensitive and thinner skin.
Thanks for asking.I am actually male by the way and I have to say by your picture you are very attractive Megan P

Thank you, that is very sweet of you to say. I have to admit, its a good picture and it was taken a few years ago, I've just been too lazy to update it - I'm haggard & older in real life, haha! ;)

I did a 24% peel on my eyebrows, and honestly it didn't feel much stronger than a 30% lactic acid peel. But the peeling effect was much stronger.
Why would you EVER think you could DOUBLE the strength of the TCA you use and wouldn't get burned? It's really about knowing what you are doing...
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Well if I ever do this again it will be no higher than 25% tca. Thanks for your reply.

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that you got burned. :( Thank you so much for coming on and sharing your story with us. You were very smart to seek medical attention and not try to deal with the burn on your own. I'm so glad to hear things have gone back to normal now. Do you think you will try a peel again, or has this pretty much turned you off from them altogether?