Breast Implant Removal - Northampton, UK

Had first implant in 1998 at age of 37, five years...

Had first implant in 1998 at age of 37, five years later after suffering capsular contracture in one breast had them replaced with smaller implants and a breast lift. Both of these procedures were done at The Hospital Group in Birmingham. Ten years down the line at 53 decided wanted done with implants altogether. I made a conscious decision not to return to Hospital Group as felt the place was more suited to 'footballers wives' flashy and lavish surrounding rather than medical. After much research and with the help of this site decided to go with Aurora Clinics in Northampton. They were totally professional from start to finish with no attempt to push me into replacing and no hard sell. Mr Adrian Richards was excellent.
I was under no illusion that after being through two procedures my boobies would look pretty sad and deflated once implants were out and they certainly were! After the initial shock and tears I have kinda come to terms with it in only two weeks. The softness of them is amazing. You have got to get your head in the right place to accept them and to think that I have not got to go through this again is wonderful. Wouldn't be a good look to have boobies under my chin at 60! Four weeks to go and I will be shopping for underwired push ups!

'Congratulations Flowergirl' Thank you for sharing your story. I too first had implants in 1998 which unfortunately had to be removed in 2000 as they were banned! I then had the Trilucent replaced with sygel. 13 years later (May last 2013) I had them removed due to capsular contraction and wanting to be my natural self again. I think it's an amazing feeling having them out and being your natural self again. So many people thought I'd lost weight! I feel much younger looking without them - how about you? I was wondering if you had a capsulectomy and if yes, or no, what Mr Richards thoughts were on this? Gentle hugs and well done you :-)
Hi sorry not replied sooner but not logged on for while. Didn't have capsulectomy as not very much breast tissue at all! I did ask what happens to capsule if left in and as far as I know it causes no further problems. Will ask more when I go back for my six week check. I had been looking on this site for over a year whilst I was saving up and was prepared for worst after two procedures and the age factor. I was even expecting disfigurement but am overjoyed with results. Tiny but soft and warm! Congrats to you too it warms my heart to read happy endings!
Have spoken to Aggie the Clinical Lead at Aurora in Nothampton . I did not have a capsulectomy because they leave the lining(capsule) in when they remove implants unless the lining looks inflamed or thickened. The lining is part of the breast tissue and if they can they like to preserve it to help with the smaller size following the explant. Which I certainly needed! Hope this answers you question. Kind Regards

Final checkup

Returned to clinic yesterday for final check up at 7 weeks post op. [It was delayed for a week because Mr Richards was out of the country.] Everything ok and was told I can resume my usual exercise routine and shop for new bras! I am delighted with outcome and although they are considerably smaller they are so soft and cute! I have not posted any pics but if you go on Aurora clinic site there are plenty of photos on there and mine will be joining them soon as they took 'after' pics yesterday. Would like to say this is the last post I shall be making on this site but it has been of tremendous help and inspiration to me in giving me the strength to move forward with my explant. To all you lovely ladies out there I wish you all the luck with your own particular journeys and those who have posted before thanks so much for sharing your stories too.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Mr Adrian Richards

Mr Richards was really good and professional on both the initial consultation and day of surgery. Aggie Oakley who was the Clinical Lead was with him on both of these occasions and was wonderful at putting me at ease. She popped in to see me after surgery and the next day before I was discharged nothing was too much trouble for her.