I have been learning about and from so many of you...

I have been learning about and from so many of you for several months now. I would have given up except for all the strength that I found on this site. You made all the difference for me. Thank you all!
I am happy to share that I am scheduled for BR September 19th!
Excited-stay tuned for my panic!

A little background. I am 5'1' 155 lbs and...

A little background. I am 5'1' 155 lbs and overflowing a 34DDD. I hope to be small enough after surgery to never have "that" kind of backache again. I was a B cup when I was 12. Over the years, through pregnancies, weight gain, weight loss, hysterectomy,menopause and life they continued to grow and get heavier. I however continued to be "short" LOL! Funny how that works.

I first considered breast reduction 10-15 years ago but family and financial considerations made it impossible. Several doctors over the years told me just lose more weight. That never worked for me. My breast never lost weight but the more I lost the greater the strain on my back. Years of poor posture either from trying to hide them or from the weight of them did not help either. I really started to think that I was just too old for BR (62) and that I should just deal with it. Then the back pain got a lot worse.
Pain was my motivation. I love to walk, garden, travel and sew. All have been severely limited by my back pain. I am so excited that the surgery will give me the opportunity to do these things once again.

My PS is wonderful. He is a great listener and answered my questions before I even asked them. He reassured me and I left feeling very hopeful. Other than my chiropractor, this was the first time that I felt that way after speaking to a doctor about BR.

Four weeks and counting..... I hope I will be able to help others the way I have been helped by this wonderful group. I am so glad I found you. Thanks again!

My surgery date has been confirmed by the PS...

My surgery date has been confirmed by the PS office and the hospital for the 19th. They have told me what my deposits are and I have paid them....so this is for real... My pre-op is not until Thursday the 13th, but since I had already given them my physical exam report, mammo and cardio clearance I hope, hope, hope there won't be any last minute surprises...
Having a little trouble keeping the boob underside "rash" under control so I have started putting gauze and cortisone on it even when it isn't flared up to keep it "quiet" until surgery. Also avoiding my under-wire bra because it is really digging in. They seem heavier and my back pain has also spread to the shoulders. Sure do miss my alleve and excedrin!!!!! tylenol just doesn't work as well.
Making lists and trying to keep really busy because the panic is making every effort to creep in. Still mostly excited, counting the days and can't wait to be on the ibt side....

Pre-op went well at the PS office - the Doctor's...

Pre-op went well at the PS office - the Doctor's assistant answered alot of my questions and then he came in and finished up. We figured out what antibiotic I was not allergic to and finally settled on one that would work. He will give it IV in surgery and no antibiotic after unless I have a need because I am so limited as to which ones I can take. Too many allergies.

Follow up will be Friday when the drains and pump will probably be removed unless too much drainage going on. I am to leave the steri strips alone they are attached with silicone (helps with healing) and will fall off in two weeks or so (maybe). Husband liked the doc, they talked about doing the surgery with exacto knives from wal-mart....sick male humor.... yuck, yuck!

Doctor hates surgical bra the hospital uses but said keep it on for the two days and then bring in a sports bra that hooks in front and that is what you will use..just get one until we figure out what size. Needs to be snug!
Hospital pre-op took hours.....crazy questions and you go from one person to another, but after a million questions, blood work, vitals, and ekg (normal) I was sent home with a see you next wednesday, but if the anesthesiologist has any more questions he will call.
They will call me tuesday by 3:00 to tell me the time to report to the hospital. What the heck I can go now and be ready when they want me!
So all in all I feel very blessed and happy that today is done and six days (5 days and a wake up if I actually sleep) and I will be READY TO ROCK AND ROLL!!!!

I have had a bit of a speed bump today, my labs...

I have had a bit of a speed bump today, my labs came back with low potassium - too low for surgery so I have to quadruple up today and double up each day of the weekend on my Potassium script and go back for more blood work on Monday first thing and hopefully they won't have to cancel me.... argh!!!!! Prayers would be good here, please!!!!!

Hi Friends! two days to surgery and still not sure...

Hi Friends! two days to surgery and still not sure if it will happen :-(
Went for my blood work and got the results in under three hours.. I knew that wasn't gonna be good! POTASSIUM STILL TOO LOW!!!!!
But it is only .2 of a point off the low level guidelines so there is still hope..... boy if this isn't a distraction I don't know what would be!!!!

Taking much larger amount 3X my daily dose. All weekend I had 2X my daily dose and that was almost enough. I have been and will continue eating everything high in potassium all day and going back in for blood work first thing tomorrow for one last shot at surgery on Wednesday... I am soooooo upset......
Muscle Milk has a good dose of potassium in it, so i will have several of those today instead of my usual one and my least favorite which is highest in potassium yucky - lima beans. Also avocado and bananas and orange juice and greens and and and.....
Never expected this in a million years!!!!!

As some of you know, unless I got my level up my...

As some of you know, unless I got my level up my surgery TOMORROW was to be cancelled. Well I failed yesterday by .3 of a point needed 3.5 and I had 3.2 so surgery was pending .... Doc ordered 6x my normal dose yesterday and mega intake of potassium.... I EVEN ATE THE DREADED LIMA BEANS AT LUNCH AND DINNER....raisins, bananas, quart of oj. 5 protein drinks and went back for labs this morning..... after an 8oz glass of oj and another prescription potassium at 3 am.....
The doctor called and said you did it you got it up to 3.6 see you in the or tomorrow.... I cried and cried, what a relief.... I am not even stressed anymore about the surgery cause I was so afraid it was going to be cancelled.... my back has been a horror without the alleve and I am just so ready.... so glad that you guys were already praying cause they were very needed.... Thank you all so much for the support.... and prayers!!!!

Doing more than ok... drains are still flowing so...

Doing more than ok... drains are still flowing so not sure if they will slow down by this afternoon enough for him to remove or leave til Monday.... either way, PS has done right by me so I trust him completely to make the right decision!
Less pain that I thought, discomfort, burning but pain not bad at all compared to the time waiting!!!!
Feel lighter, will update after my post op with the scoop!

Thanks for the advice to rest and hydrate, it has made a huge difference I am sure....when I tried to do a little more I got tired really fast and very sore just as fast.... I will behave!

Hope all of you healing ladies are doing well.....

Hope all of you healing ladies are doing well...and sending all my prayers and good wishes to those coming up this week! I can still pray when I am half asleep.... and it counts!!!!! The waiting WAS THE WORST PART, THEY WERE TELLING THE WHOLE TRUTH FOR SURE!!!!
As for me, I am very, very happy - drains are out and the girls look great... the pain has found me today (day 3 post).
Not eating "lima beans" but keeping up with my potassium foods intake. No appetite so trying to make whatever I eat count towards healing.

As far as drain removal, my PS was magical taking them out... no pain just felt them leaving the body!

I am keeping up with the wonderful advice from ALL OF YOU WONDERFUL LADIES who went before. Rest, hydrate and keep on top of the pills. Also, thanks for the stool softenener advice when taking pain pills, has made "that" a non-problem... LOL
PS said intermittent ice was ok and that has helped ALOT too.

I have taken pictures and will post as soon as I am up to it. Going back to sleep catch u all soon.... :-)

Hi all! I have been checking but had not been...

Hi all!
I have been checking but had not been getting many updates or emails and finally realized that my internet provider had been having a problem and I had over 300 emails in my web-mail junk mail that were not being delivered to me, have no idea if what I sent out actually went. Must have still been having internet problems yesterday because my update was never received and that is why it had not posted.
Not because I broke the site by finally posting my pictures... LOL

What I have been up to: Rest, water, eating smart although I have had no appetite until now, juice, ice pops for the sore throat, protein, fiber, arnica montana, stool softeners (when taking pain pills) and learning to not jump up every time I thought of something I wanted to do or wanted to get (that was the hardest). That “asking for help thingie” I have yet to master... All of these wonderful suggestions from my BR sisters have brought me to Day Eleven feeling really pretty good.
Breast area, chest and ribs still really sore but improving. Sleeping in recliner is getting old...not much longer but I think it really helped me from rolling over since I normally sleep on my side all curled up.
Right after waking up from anesthesia my pain level (actually burn/sting) level was a 12 . They immediately gave me something in my IV and it was never that bad again. Burning/stinging continued at a lesser degree for two days, pain pills as needed, intermittent ice and sleep was the plan of those days. Day 2 afternoon - drains and pain pump were removed and I changed from the “velcro tourture” bra to the Walmart snap in the front bra that my PS had told me to buy. After the drains and pump were out I was allowed to shower but didn't get my nerve up until the next day. It was heavenly. PS said no soap on strips and dry well after shower. I used the hair dryer at a distance on low and cool setting to dry them and that has worked very well.
I started feeling less burn and more pain/pressure/discomfort after day 3 or 4 but Tylenol in daytime if needed and just one Tylenol PM at night were enough. The zingers and fluid movement feeling also arrived. Nipple sensation was never gone. My PS said no heat but that I could use ice intermittently and that was great for my pain and the increasing pressure and swelling. Abdomen swelling surprised me...I was one big bloat. That is now starting to improve also. Too much salt and not enough fluid didn’t help matters. The increased fluid also helped the irritation from the catheter.
Days 9-10 Breasts were tight, painful and swollen and I really pumped up my fluid and cut back on my salt intake, I had slaked off and I have also been more mobile and they are a little better today day 11.

I go back for my two-week post op on Wed. 10/03 and will post more pictures after that.

It looks like I will be a large B or small C which is exactly what I hoped for but it will be a while before I really know.

The important thing is that I left the shoulder and back pain in the OR and am happy to say that my hand tingling that I thought was carpal tunnel is gone also! Bonus!

I will continue to pray for all of the upcoming ladies and those of us already over this wonderful life-changing rainbow!

Hi my BR buddies! Sorry it took me so long to...

Hi my BR buddies!
Sorry it took me so long to update. I am adding a couple of three week pictures but am actually four days away from being a month out of surgery.
I feel as if I am improving daily but am still getting tired faster than normal for me especially afternoon and evening. Not really sure if that is a result of the surgery or the fact that I am still having trouble getting my potassium levels and my blood-pressure stable. (I had issues with this pre-op.)
I am over the moon happy at having this reduction – as I’ve said before the only regret is not having it done sooner. All the back pain and shoulder pain is just a memory and all that remains of the surgery discomfort is the persistent hyper-sensitivity to touch and cold and occasional zingers. I change up the bra type/pressure a couple of times a day and find that helps with this too.

The best advice I can give those coming up is to rest, eat right, avoid salty foods and hydrate-especially those first two weeks. Again, if you take prescription pain medicine, take a stool softener with it and that difficulty “going” and bloating will be avoided or less.
I love the Palmers Cocoa Vitamin E Skin Therapy Oil to massage my incisions. PS told me I could use it or lotion of my choice once the incisions were closed. I try to massage twice a day….but if they are driving me crazy I will massage anywhere and anytime…. So I may wind up on “you tube” as the crazy massaging lady someday…. LOL .
He also said I could use the Arnica Montana after surgery and I think it helped clear up and prevent a lot of my swelling and bruising.
I hope that those in recovery are doing well and improving daily and that those coming up will be encouraged and know that “THEIR BEST BREAST DAYS ARE YET TO BE” … as you will read in so many of these postings, even the ladies with complications do not regret having the surgery…. Prayers and hugs to all!
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Researched which PS were in-network providers for my insurance. Then researched each of them and planned to go see the top three. Went to Dr. Timmons first and cancelled the other appts., because I knew I was in the right place! From my first nervous call to schedule a consultation, my first office visit, phone calls for "just a question", pre-op, surgery and post op I have have been treated "like family"! Not only is Dr. Timmons a master at his craft but he and his staff are real people with kindness in their heart. Would recommend them to anyone without any hesitation!

5 out of 5 stars Overall rating
5 out of 5 stars Doctor's bedside manner
5 out of 5 stars Answered my questions
5 out of 5 stars After care follow-up
5 out of 5 stars Time spent with me
5 out of 5 stars Phone or email responsiveness
5 out of 5 stars Staff professionalism & courtesy
5 out of 5 stars Payment process
5 out of 5 stars Wait times
Was this review helpful? 5 others found this helpful

Comments (84)

Sort by

Hi Margie! I don't know if you still check this page or not since it's been so long since the last post, but I wanted to thank you for sharing your story and pictures. I go next week to see Dr. Timmons and it was such a relief to see a story from someone who had him! Just awesome! You look GREAT and I cannot wait to have mine! :) Thanks again for sharing your journey!
  • Reply
Hi Nicole! It is great that I heard from a former BR buddy in a private message and got on to check on her and saw your message! I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Timmons and his staff! He is a great listener and has done a marvelous job for me. My life has changed dramatically for the better as a result of this operation. Only regrets are that I did not do this sooner! I have not had any neck, shoulder or upper back pain since the morning of surgery... dream come true. Please do not hesitate to ask them or me any questions. If I am not on the site, just Private message me and it will go to my e-mail. Let me know how your appt. goes and I will be excited to follow your journey with you if you would like! Welcome! :-) margie
  • Reply
hi margie havent heard from you in awhile,,how are things going with you?
  • Reply
You look like you are in your 20's! No kidding!! Lorin
  • Reply
I Margie. Welcome back! Sorry you had such a bad experience with flights and luggage. I am a flight attendant and have seen it all! Managed to miss the storm due to being home and recovering from my breast reduction on Sept 20th. I feel bad for all the people who were in the middle of the storm. So much loss!! Today I commuted from San Diego to Philadelphia. Tomorrow I work my first trip since the surgery. Plan on pacing myself. My uniform fits so much better. Just feel like I need to be careful with the girls! Look forward to updated pics of yours and I will post some also.
  • Reply
Hello dear friends: Still smiling but no tan this time....never even put the new bathing suit on - it was too cold.... sorry to say that I came back without the sundress :-( It was not our best vacation, but we are lucky that we were cruising this week and not last....the cruise ship that was out there last week was caught in the storm and got so damaged that it is in dry dock now for major repairs and even thought no one was seriously hurt they had a lot of sea sickness from all the rocking and bouncing and some injuries due to broken glass and falling statues, pictures, and furniture They had tried to out run the storm and go around it and when the storm turned they got stuck in the middle of it and had a power failure.... can you imagine how bad that must have been....people were all crowded into covered open areas because the cabins had no air and were too hot to be in. yes we are ever so lucky!!!! All we had to deal with was just a very rough airplane ride after three changes, first we were booked to atlanta then changed to memphis then cincinatti just to get to ft. lauderdale...They lost our luggage (all of us = 4 bags)LUGGAGE went to atlanta then miami where it was picked up by a driver and driven to Key West on Monday afternoon. We were in Key West and thought the luggage was not coming at all and were shopping for underwear and socks and a jacket cause it was so cold so the only thing we did in key west other than that was have a margarita in margaritaville. It was cold that day in key west, luggage caught up to us right before we sailed out of there. The rest of the week we had rough seas, rain and clouds - only got off the ship for 30 minutes in one port in the rain .... but we were so caught up watching the news on the ship about Sandy and what everyone in the northeast was suffering through that really we did not care about our little inconveniences...and just prayed for those in real need. Halloween on the ship was fun, highlight of the trip! We are ever so happy to be home and so very grateful that we are safe. Have not caught up with everyone's progress on here yet, but have not stopped praying for all my BR buddies. Thanks friends for the good wishes! I will be back on with a "normal" post soon..... hugs to all
  • Reply
Keep in touch Margie, you have been a ray of sunshine! : ) xx
  • Reply
Welcome back!! I want to see bathing suit pics - haha - hope you had a wonderful, relaxing time xxoo
  • Reply
Bon Voyage!
  • Reply
Hi Margie, hope you are all good. I just wanted to pop by and thank you again for your kind thoughts and wishes. It's amazing to communicate with people you've never met in such a personal way. There are some good people in this world and you are certainly one of them. Thanks again. xx
  • Reply
Hi, I'm a friend of Margie's, and if I may chime in here, I just wanted to let you know that Margie is away on a cruise, just left today, hopefully. I say hopefully because she lives in SC and was supposed to leave today, if Sandy doesn't interfere!
  • Reply
Oh yea of course, been keeping up to date from the UK about that crazy she-storm Sandy! Thanks for letting me know, I hope she has an amazing time! x
  • Reply
Wow! You look so good Margie! I had surgery same day as you. Still waiting for the last scabs to come off. It's the best thing I ever could have done! Truely life changing! How about that little tank top you are wearing in the pic?:) I'm wearing one now also. Never could even wear one before!!! Thanks for posting. My new pics will be up soon. Lorin
  • Reply
Margie, you look great. I am similar in size and it is nice to find someone who you can relate too. I'm not scheduled for my BR until 11/28/12. I can't wait. I went for my yearly mammogram the same day as my initial visit and got a notice saying I needed to come in for another view and breast ultrasound. Praying that it is nothing and that I can proceed as planned. When I read your post about the potassium level, I am feeling the same way. Thank you for taking time to blog. Oh, where did you get your front hook bra?
  • Reply
Welcome Joy!!!!! Thank you for your nice comments on my new girls! I truly believe that this is a wonderful life changing event. I feel like a new person. I feel free to be able to do so much that I could not for a long time, if ever! I am so happy for you and know that you will be happy as can be after you are on the healing side. I am not going to kid you this month of waiting is brutal....your imagination and mind wll drive you crazy if you aren't careful!!! I know mine did!!!! Crazier than usual that is!!! It was not unusual for me to be called back in for an ultrasound because of the density of breasts and the tendency to have cysts. I pray with all my heart that your results will be good. Please let us know... When do you go for that? I got my front hook bras at walmart at the suggestion of my PS. I wound up getting it in a couple of sizes...it does run small so try it on at the store. Don't worry about the cup size, just the band size. I was right in-between and there is some swelling afterward so I was able to use both sizes. I actually like the look of one that Niesey bought, ask her about that but I had already bought and used mine when I saw it But at about $10 a piece I could buy several at wal-mart and have time for them to air dry inbetween. I have also been very happy with the Bali Revolution both the pull on and the hook in the back and the ah bra which I don't see around much. If I needed more compression or support I just put the hook in the front one on right over the soft one...win win.... soft on skin and compression on the girls. Hope this helps. BTW: I had never blogged before this experience either, but I believe this site has been heaven sent! hugs, m
  • Reply
Thanks Margie, for the update on the location to purchase the bra. I found one on-line through sears. I like the idea of the hook in front so I don't have to pull them over the new girls. I will check into Niesey's. I go in for the ultrasound on Thursday 11/1 at 3:20. Found out from my mom that two of my aunts both have had cysts before. This would be the first for me, otherwise I have been pretty healthy. Look forward to keeping in touch with you.
  • Reply
Joy, I will be thinking of you this Thursday and sending all positive thoughts your way! I will be gone this coming week so I will look for your update after I get back November 4....prayers and hugs your way.....
  • Reply
Can't believe we are now both on the healing side! Thank you so very much for your loving support through this experience - your frequent comments kept me going and always lifted my spirits. Thanks again my dear friend.
  • Reply
it was such a delite reading an following you i just love your humor ; ) you look amazing an im happy an thankful to read your story. the one thing that really stood out to me was the tingling in your arms please tell more about that when you have a moment for years ive had that tingle in both arms that sometimes shoots allthe way to my finger tips an feels numb an you are soright im closeto 2 weeks post op an havent felt a thing so wow it hust have been the huge breast on my nerve or something... i will keep an eye outto see if it ever returns i really pray it dont because one doctor told me he will have to cut my wrist to relieve the pressure an that was 7 years ago since i ran outhis office lol
  • Reply
Thank you so much! The tingling in my hands and pins and needles have not come back and I was a month post op yesterday. The doctor said that it was a bonus and that it could be that I had mild carpal tunnel that was being aggravated by the weight of the breasts on the shoulder ! I a happy that you have had that bonus effect too.... and glad that you are doing well and will check on you in the days and weeks ahead. :-)
  • Reply
You look great!!! So happy all has gone smoothly for you!!
  • Reply
Dear Fay I am sorry to read that your recovery has had a setback.... I am sure it is because of the size of your reduction.... But really the relief and happiness you will have when all is healed will be that much larger!!!!! I have followed and continued to pray for you and will do so until we celebrate that you are all closed up and ready to ride!!!!! hugs to you.. I know I was September, but I miss the August ladies too!!! :-(
  • Reply
Hi margie your looking great!!!!!. Never thought I'd say about another woman's boobs but I hope mine look as good as yours!!!!...congratulations
  • Reply
Thanks Nat! Your time is almost here -- woo hoooooo! I am so very excited for you - looking forward to hear the update after your appointment! hugs to you!!
  • Reply
Your boobies look amazing!
  • Reply