Can This Tattoo Be Removed? -New Jersey

I got this tattoo as an impulse and regret getting...

I got this tattoo as an impulse and regret getting it every day. It is about 4x4" and all black. I don't know what I was thinking when I got it. I think the quote is stupid/cheesy now. It looks ridiculous on my body, as I am a tiny girl and the tattoo is pretty big. The "artist" didn't actually see me until after he drew it. Sketchy, I know. I should have known better. Instead of a cool font they told me they have someone that specializes in handwriting and that it will be really pretty. Well, I should have cared a little more that day because now I am stuck with a horrible tattoo. Even though I went to a really reputable place. I can't even wear tank tops now! I am wondering if this can be fully removed with a good laser or if it is not even worth the stress and expense. I do not want a huge scar on my back. I also haven't really seen much proof of any tattoos being fully removed.

aloha unink5:  I think your tattoo is so charming.  But if you don't like it that's all that is important.  I would follow blackberry11, she has a black tattoo that she is having removed.  I've heard that the closer to the spine, closer to the central nervous system is easier to remove.  Easier doesn't mean one session though.  This will take time.  Support and ideas can be found on this forum.   Good luck!  aloha...k
I hear black is easiest to remove because it contrasts skin color well so the light targets it easiest. I have a black one on my ankle that I've been having removed, it takes time. Lots of time, but it is looking promising. At the very least I could just have some light grey color left over and maybe an artist could make something simple of it. But not without serious planning and consideration on my part this time! All 4 of my tattoos have been impulsive. :/ What was I thinking?
I don't know, but your tattoo is def a good possibility as it all black and location is good. If you hate it, do it! I can't wear certain tank tops either, but you can cover with good yoga tops that are a larger T Back, and layer. Good luck!
I had a similar experience with getting a large tattoo that I regretted almost immediately. I spent thousands of dollars over a five year period (about 30 treatments) to get it removed and I still have a "ghost" of my original tattoo. Granted, mine had several colors, but I really think that full removal is a bit of a crock. I wish that I had known the outcome ahead of time, because I really went into it thinking it would be GONE in the end. If I had known that this would be the outcome, I would have had a couple of treatments to get it lightened then gotten a cover up of something I was happy with. Good luck to you!
jenamama, I am curious, do you have photos of your removal before and after? I also have a very large ugly tattoo I am in the process of removing, I don't expect full removal, and am prepared for a cover up, however mine was so dark that I am on session #8 and I still have a long way to go before I would even consider a cover up. Can you please tell us more about your treatment. Are you going to get a cover up now? Thanks!
Agreed! I'd like to see pics too! I'm fully prepared to cover up the one on my back but I'm scared it won't get light enough to cover. My ankles I'd like the tattoos gone and would not get more. I just don't want tattoos on my ankles at all. What a stupid place to get them. But they have blue, green, and purple in th which I hear is hard to remove :(
Thanks for your interest. Blue and green were the hardest for me. But, the hypopigmentation of the overall tattoo is what bothers me the most. I've regained some spots of pigment, but there's a lot of white and you can clearly make out the shape of the old tattoo (actually it's two right next to each other.) I don't see a way to post a pic here, but I've created my own review with a pic of what I have now. (Not sure how soon it will post...) As you will see there, after ten years of living with it, I'm on a renewed mission to rid myself of the ghost that sits on my back.
Hi! I just began laser treatments and have had two treatments so far. Each time they have done three passes with the laser (R20 method). Both of my tattoos are all black. One is about 60-70% gone and the other about 20%. I have no idea if I will ever have 100% clearance but it is enough to make me confident that laser removal really does work and that I will end up happy that I did it. I try to really follow after care instructions after treatments and to wait a bit longer than the recommended time in between to minimize my risk of scarring. So far so good! I really recommend finding a place that does the R20 method, as I can't imagine dealing with the after care and the time in between sessions and being only two passes in stead of six! Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Hi flower777, I would love to talk to you about this. Now I feel like I'm being cheated. I don't have a lot of money and I have had 8-9 treatments so far, and I would say it's only about 50% lightened. They do not pass through the tattoo 2 or 6 times though, only once. My tattoo is large though, so maybe it just takes to much time. It also costs the same every session whereas some people are saying once you get into higher numbers the sessions are cheaper. I want to ask my technician to use the R20 method but I want to be clear what it is and how much extra time it takes, or if it harms the skin and even works with larger tattoos. Can you email me at *****.com? Thanks so much!!

Please use the private messaging system to share email addresses, this is to protect your information- thanks!

Hello! I don't have any experience bc I have not started removal... Yet! I have seen faded tats but not too many full removal stories. Even mark wahlberg who has said he's been lasered 34 times still has a tad bit of ink left where his old tattoos were. (He's having 7 removed!) so I'm not convinced full removal is possible and I know I can't afford 30 treatments! But they say all black is the easiest to remove and your location is good bc it's close to the heart. So I bet you could get it lightened a LOT! Hopefully someone with experience can give you some hope. I don't have any experience, just what I find online :)

Thanks for starting a review about your tattoo removal journey.  There are lots of RealSelf Community Members who have a lot of experience in this, so I'm sure your questions will be answered soon!  Please keep updating this review with what you ultimately decide to do, good luck!