Revision Rhinoplasty Master - West Orange, NJ

Before I begin the long story of my nose,...

Before I begin the long story of my nose, I’m happy to report that it’s finally over – I’m FINALLY happy and Dr. Joseph is the reason. I highly recommend Dr. Joseph – he is a skilled rhinoplasty surgeon, and more importantly, a very skilled revision rhinoplasty surgeon. His credentials are what you should require – dual-board certified ENT and facial plastic surgeon. I am thrilled with my decision and I think you would be, too. Now here’s the unabridged story…

My relationship with my nose began when I was about 11 years old. This is when my extremely large nose grew in. I was tormented by kids naming their birds after me and very self-conscious, especially of my profile. At the age of 16 I pleaded with my mom, asking if she would support my having a nose job. She agreed and I had the surgery. Within a year I went back for tip revision. Then about six years later it seemed that the tip had fallen and I went back to have the tip lifted. This is when my nose was butchered – NOTE that this was years before I met Dr. Joseph. My previous doctor snipped my columella (portion of your nose between your nostrils) and failed to properly support it, so after healing, it fell. I went back again two years later and needless to say, the same thing happened. Nearly nine years after my first rhinoplasty and I was still self-conscious, still unhappy with my nose.

It took another ten years for me to find Dr. Joseph while I was searching online and researching non-surgical nose jobs. After four prior surgeries, I did not want to have another nose surgery, but when I went to see Dr. Joseph he explained that the damage to my columella and the hump-like shape to my nose could not be fixed without surgery. I was disappointed to hear this, but I was happy to finally realize that there was no reason to wait any longer.

Dr. Joseph explained in detail the work he would do on my nose. His revision rhinoplasty would take at least two hours and would be one of his most difficult surgeries. He would have to lift my columella and would do so by taking cartilage from inside my nose and putting in a columella strut, often referred to as a “c-strut” to support it. He would also try to cover up the scar tissue from the previous surgeries which had been visible. A good bit of shaving of the bone would also be done to create a gentle curve. He would also fix my deviated septum (which also should have been fixed with my first rhinoplasty).

I decided pretty quickly to schedule the surgery. Dr. Joseph was surprised to see me on his surgery schedule only a couple of weeks following my initial consultation. He wanted to be confident that he and I had the same objectives in mind, so he had me return to his office for another consultation. Dr. Joseph spent an hour with me, examining my nose, reviewing the computer imaging and making sure that he understood my expectations.

I am extremely hard to please and I have to say that I’m extremely happy with the outcome. I love my new nose! It’s finally “small” and I have a profile that I do not feel self-conscious about. I am 10 weeks post-op, and I have to say my nose still feels tight – but this is worth it. If you had a bad nose job and you’re not sure you want to go through it again, trust that Dr. Joseph will listen to what you want and will get you a nose that you can finally smile about!

* note that there were additional medication costs as well as hospital and anesthesia fees, but again, the outcome is priceless and well worth it.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Everything was top notch. I can't imagine that your experience could be better - beware of fancy NYC plastic surgeons that charge ridiculously high fees and you cannot even get in to see them. Dr. Joseph was accessible, knowledgeable and the bottomline is that he gave me a beautiful nose!

hi i just had my third revision rhinoplasty about 7 months ago. The tip of my nose looks very strange, sort of boxy, could you explain how long it took too see your official results. and if you could possibly upload photos. I'll understand if you can't it has been a crazy 7 months and a lot of it consisted of regret and agony. thanks.
Where was the surgery held ? In the office or out in a hospital ? How much were hospital fees if you don't mind me asking
Well my experience was different. I don't think I am a rarity either. My nose collapsed after several years. It took a year for the swelling to resolve as well. Furthermore, nose grafts often reabsorb this can take years and the nose will be messed up once again. There is a large re-absorption rate of nose grafts of all kinds. Doctors want you believe these cases are rare. The love that word "rare" every plastic surgeon says this after they list possible bad outcomes. Well your nose could collapse, but this is rare. It's not rare if it happens to you. And seeing all the postings on here complications are obviously not rare!

Anyway, my point is what I had a 10 weeks was very different from what I ended up with in the end. But if you all want to believe the nose doesn't change that is your opinion. In my situation and I believe many others it's not the case. Thank you for your time.

Everyone heals differently, but I also did see my basic shape/results within the first week or two, then it sort of refined a little as the swelling went down.

Irishangel - I agree with you - you get a pretty good idea right away, but there will be slight changes as time goes on. To address susancharle420's comment that "It takes months or even years for the real nose to show through. I am surprised you don't know this going through 4 surgeries" - this I do not agree with - doctors say it takes one year, but that you'll see the general shape right away and within 3 months - 6 months you're pretty much seeing the final result. It definitely does not take years plural. I have to say that each surgery is different and to clarify I've had 2 real rhinoplasties. The first was a very quick recovery because apparently my deviated septum was not even fixed. This one is taking longer, but I can tell that the result is good and will only improve.
Of course it varies on a case by case basis but I've known 4 other people who had rhinoplasty and none of them had to wait months to years to see the final result. Your surgeon will tell you when you should expect results. However, I think most people getting a rhinoplasty are not getting extensive work and seeing the end result (or close to them) within a month or two is feasible for most people.
I think that it depends on how much work you've had done. I had extensive work done to the tip / columella, so that part is still very tight, swollen and sensitive. My first nose job was when I was 16, so it's hard for me to remember how long it took to heal, but it's definitely taking longer this time, so I think that it will change more just based on how it feels (that it's very much still healing).
I completely disagree about needing to wait more than 10 weeks. I am almost a full year post op and while I have seen some refinement in my nose after 6 weeks post op it was very close to my current state. It's not instant as in next day but after 2 weeks the basic shape is in place and after 4 weeks almost all of my swelling was gone (I'd say 80%). The following months there is still some change in the appearance but nothing compared to those first few weeks. You will have a good idea of what your nose looks like right away
10 weeks is not long enough to know if you will really like your nose. It takes months or even years for the real nose to show through. I am surprised you don't know this going through 4 surgeries. Like most of the people on here who are happy about their revisions they are too soon post-op to give an accurate opinion. Don't believe the hype people.

Thank you so much for sharing your story here on RealSelf! I'm glad you're finally happy with your nose. I hate that you were teased about it as a kid, but at the same time, think that stuff probably builds character to a certain extent (at least that's what I tell myself).

Would love to see your before and after photos if you'd feel comfortable posting them.

I also had my nose done by Dr. Joseph and share your opinion of him. He really takes the time to get to know his patients and give them the right result. I am so please that you are happy with your new nose and that it no longer plagues you!

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Why would a doctor write such a detailed story?

There was nothing fake about my post.

I can speak to you directly if you don't believe it. Provide your email and I will be more than happy to contact you.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-