Platysmaplasty - Muscle Tightening Only - Newport Beach, CA

In the winter of 2012, my twin and I got together...

In the winter of 2012, my twin and I got together for Xmas. We happened to discuss how we both felt like we were a bit heavy under the jaw and it made an impact on our looks. I decided to do something about it. I am the guinea pig twin, you see.

At first I was leaning towards liposuction and then I read a great review by Eric, founder of Realself, about how sometimes there is more to the story than just fat under the jaw...I'm talking about a weak/slack pair of muscles under the chin that doesnt feel like a muscle at all, but there it is, keeping your profile from being picture perfect! I opted to try the muscle tightening only first, since it costs about the same as lipo, has fewer complications and a shorter recovery period.

I flew back home to Orange County for the surgery. Dr. C's office was super fancy without making me feel uncomfortable and the staff is knowledgeable and so friendly! Day of surgery was a total breeze; It was totally painless and I was in and out in under three hours (total, from the time I stepped foot in the door to the time I got back in the cab). The surgery itself was nice and quick. I went grogery shopping afterwards and then went home and took a nap. Again, never felt any real pain...a little tightness under the jaw. that's it!

I have posted pics, take a look for yourself. Anyone who is thinking about this procedure, you need to know that there will be swelling. You'll want to see your results right away but guess what? you gotta wait. I put a pic of me nine months out (swelling long gone), so you can really see the final results for yourself. Keep in mind I was a mind case compared to most :)
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Cruise and his support staff are all wonderful and work with a great attitude, which makes all of the difference to me. He is professional and knows what he's doing, so he is fast but doesnt need to rush, if that makes sense. I felt very confident with him as my surgeon. He and his staff answered all of my questions (and there were many! and i'm sure they sounded a little silly sometimes!) in such a gracious manner.

Superb! Your appearance makes it look like you lost 20lbs, not ten. I'm curious--did the ten pound loss affect the appearance of the surgery site? You went grocery shopping after--wow. Was recovery that painless, other than the moderate swelling?
Thank you! I'm not sure how weight loss would affect the surgery site, so I'm gonna say no. :) The recovery was painless. I did have a small reaction to one of the medications, which caused me discomfort (it made it difficult to breathe comfortably when I took the medicine). Other than that, pretty much zero pain or discomfort.
Nice improvement! I'm glad my review saved you from having to go through lipo first like I did. The muscle tightening isn't as scary as it sounds and will provide lasting support under your chin. Another friend decided to go for muscle tightening instead of lipo and also had great results. Thank you for sharing your story!
And thank you for sharing your story, too, Eric K. It was very helpful in my research and you are right, the procedure was almost too easy :)
Thank you so much for sharing! I have a similar issue with my profile and I hate it. I think you look absolutely fabulous and you're making me want to look into this. Did your doctor use general or local anesthesia?
Hi Angiemcc, My pleasure. To answer your question, it was local anesthesia, which is why I was fine afterwards and was able to resume relatively sedentary activities afterwards, such as grocery shopping. my sister had a cold and she was way worse off than I was! One thing I would consider is whether it is the muscle, fat or both causing your profile issue. For me, I saw the biggest improvement after this procedure PLUS losing fifteen lbs. I think that my sister and I just tend to store fat under our jaw plus had a slightly weak muscle. I looked at your photo... you look very slender, so you might talk to the doc and see if a lipo plus platysmaplasty is in order or just the plat. you can always go back and get a little lipo if you still need it after the plat, which could spare you an unnecessary surgery there, but it would be more expensive that way. does that make sense? :) good luck to you!
Thank you for that info!
I see a big difference your profile looks beautiful...more sculpted.
Thank you so much! I did lose 15lbs afterwards, which I think really helped the final result for me :)