53 Years Old, Genetic Disposition to Jowls and Sagging Neck - Newport Beach, CA

After 15 years of sagging neckline and 5 years of...

After 15 years of sagging neckline and 5 years of jowl development I decided it was time to get my jawline back! I live in Los Angeles, so the options are limitless. I opted not to choose a Lifestyle lift, due to inconsistentcies in results and comments. I looked for experts in neck specialization and interviewed a Dr in Beverly Hills and one in Newport Beach. Both were dynamic and had done thousands of neck procedures. Each had been published in their respective speciality and offered full patient follow-up. I chose Dr. Sadati because of his recommendations including removal of the buccal fat in my cheeks (chipmunk look) and his recommendation of not using a fat grafting in the ear lobes that have lost fullness as the results might not be positive. His office staff is beyond wonderful and made me feel comfortable during all visits. Ms. Kate, the front office administrator was even a patient of Dr. Sadati's and I could see his work which is excellent.

Day 4 post op

Doing good. Pain management with extra strength Tylenol. Still using compression headgear 24/7. Not sleeping great due to having 2 pillows to keep head above chest for swelling. Lots - I mean LOTS of bruising. As indicated I think it's due to the massive amount of neck fat removed. I expected it, so I am faithfully icing per directions and doing little else than moving some. Skin is hard, also as expected, but sutures look good - tiny amount of bleeding yesterday on left side while cleaning, but good this morning.
Only very soft foods, yogurt, soup, shakes.

Day 5 post op

Again, not sleeping well. I am a stomach sleeper and this has been tough. I set up my couch in living room and have the bed to roam between and today the couch has been the answer. Still really bruised. It is 72 hours since surgery and icing was to stop after that. However with the swelling and bruising I am continuing. I took a warm shower this am and washed hair. It just feels weird. Like my ears are numb, but have more feeling today. I don't want to "scrub" near the stitches which "S" around my ears, but wanted to clean up and put fresh Bactrian ointment on. My hair is medium in length and I know he had to shave into neck hairline to create a clear area for suturing. Hair just feels thin, but I can't really feel my neck so who knows! Just washing hair, putting on top of my head and braiding into a knot. Keeps it out of the way but it's clean. Using Cetaphyl for face cleaning and WaterPik for clean mouth with small toothbrush. Still on soft food like soup, yogurt and shakes.
Hope swelling on left side begins to subside and neck swelling goes down today. So far no luck and my Husband returns home tomorrow. Don't want to shock him too much! Still using Extra strength Tylenol plus one to 2 Vicodin for pain. Still VERY happy with results! Just takes time when body bruises so easily.

Day 6 post op

Feeling great. Swelling down along with bruising. Close ups of sutures show how fantastic Dr. Sadati's work is! Still have pain and numbness, but expect that for a while.

Day 14 post op

Been off posting for 7 days......WHY? Well Realselfies, I had the dreaded "skin flap compromised" diagnosis at my 7 day check. A rare condition caused by not enough blood supply/oxygen getting to the area where both sutures and muscle tightening occur. Please one - this is not due to anything with my Doctor! It is most likely a genetic situation with thin skin. Within 5 minutes of seeing my Doctor at my 7 day appointment, he had a call in to a wound specialist just 3 miles from my home. Within 18 hours I was in a hyperbaric chamber getting the necessary oxygen to my skin. Having a well respected PS is imperative in any situation, but having a well respected PS with platinum contacts when something like this happens is truly a must. Dr. Sadati insured that I was well taken care of. Daily phone calls to Dr. Miller of Long Beach Memorial hospital's wound care facility, to me to make sur I understood what was going on and make sure I was comfortable and double sessions on Saturday and Sunday in the hyperbaric chamber to get ahead of the necropsy of my skin flaps all have made my experience A+. My visit on Tuesday - day 13 post op - to my PS and his concern and dedication to making sure I was getting excellent results is a blessing.
I am still so happy with my results even with the challenges we have faced with my "skin flap" challenges.

Continue day 14 post op

For those of you really looking at pictures. You can see on day 2 post op greater than normal "ruddiness" or "duskiness" near ear area. When you note the day 12 post op pictures after 5 sessions in hyperbaric chamber and see the pattern of really dark area (where necropsy has occurred) and the extreme improvement over the day 7 pics
This very dark area will eventually slough off with new pink skin underneath. I am still in the hyperbaric chamber for another few days to insure this happens.

24 Days Post Op

Loving my results! Feeling great. Still have some swelling, most on left side, but overall looking great. I actually smile when I look at my profile - never have I been able to do that! The hyperbaric chamber was heaven sent, and any scabbing will be gone in the next day or two.
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Sadati took almost an hour with me on initial consultation. He was precise in going over his education, office, the procedure, expectations, his personal art background, what my expectations are, what I am happy with, what I would like to change, my questions on procedure, etc. my pre-op was also an opportunity to review the procedure, follow up, comfort, anything I was concerned with. The procedure had no surprises as Dr. Sadati did everything as we had discussed. No pain during procedure, except 1 hour in, and he had asked during the start of the area if no pain, when I indicated it was slightly painful, he immediately injected additional numbing medicine. He communicated with me and staff during procedure, was gentle (as can be during Lipo) and thorough out. I did fall asleep at one point. Next day was follow up and I was thrilled with day after results. Yes, good amount of bruising - as can be expected with the amount of lipo - I hope you can see in my pictures the amount of lipo needed to get the results. It's day 5 post op and I must say....Dr. Kevin Sadati you are an artist!

Congratulations, you look amazing
You look great! What a difference. I would appreciate and respect your opinion as a "realself" patron. I realize that they need to tighten the neck muscles during the procedure, and you mention that you feel both tightness and numbness - but I am uncomfortable wearing a high-button blouse or thick scarf, and have a sensitive gag reflex at the dentist during x-rays or impressions. What do you think, should I rule out having this procedure done?
I probably wouldn't have it done if that is the case. My surgery was 2 weeks ago I had platismaplasty, pre jowl implants and a neck and lower face lift. The worst part for me was the feeling of being strangled and like someone was pushing my Adam's apple in. The Adam's apple feeling lasted a couple days, the weird strangling is hanging on. I tell myself it's all the healing going on.
WOW!!! The new photos are great.
Wow, no wonder you are smiling, congratulations.
Look at that smile! You look great, so happy for you :)
Excellent physicians are just that, aren't they. Sounds like your health care is being given highest priority which is paramount. Good Healing ! Hooly from Oz
wow, You Look amazing, and so much younger already.... Congrats & Thank You for sharing!!
Thanks for sharing! I had upper and lower eyes, neck lift and face lift at 55. I am 9 days post op with some swelling on my neck and my neck feels like it has an ACE bandage around it. Do you have numbness and tightness in your neck?
Tightness & numbness are good. Swelling is normal. I am 15 days post op and starting to get some feeling in ears, but still very tight.
Are you still wearing your chin strap? I have been wearing mine for a few hours every day but it seems to be leaving marks on my neck. (like it is to tight). Not sure if I should continue to use it.
How scary for you! Thank goodness your ps took immediate action and kept you informed. It's good to hear you were well taken care of. I hope you have no more hurdles to jump. Healing hugs:)
Thank you for posting. Your results are wonderful but what a scare! It's early but you can tell you are going to have a beautiful neck! Congrats!
You are already looking fabulous! When I did my FL, I didn't take any selfies of myself, except one or two, which I posted. JUST like you, I always posed in pictures a special way so my turkey neck and jowls weren't so obvious. One of my last family photos before FL, I held my head so high, stretching my neck so long, I looked like an ostrich! Happy Healing. You will love the new you!
Thank you for the update, been a little worried about you. Sounds like you're in great hands and things like this really separate the "ok" and the "excellent" surgeons. You made a good choice. I can see improvement in the treated areas, and your neck is looking great. Lovely profile :)
You will look gorgeous!
I cannot believe your surgery was only ONE WEEK AGO and you already look so wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The bruising looks much better! Whew ;) I think he just pulled you really good to get such a great result. Those stitches look fabulous, really neat. Impressive! What did hubby say? lol, you don't have to comment of course ;)
Hope you're healing well x
Thinking of you, hope the healing is going great!
Hello Flygirlm......Looks like an accomplished surgery....hope you feel more comfortable soon, as you will of course. I am 54 and I have one of those dreaded photos of me looking into my phone ! Thank you for posting as helpful to other patients.
I was just sick of seeing the fat under my chin - difficult to look at. I am so happy with results so far. Stitches come out tomorrow.
Here is a side thought...Does it hurt to laugh? And why is it that everything is funny when it is sore to laugh ..... I will pop in every so often to see your progress
Thanks for the updates! Is your bruising getting any better, I hope? It is very extensive and if no improvement, honestly I would contact your doctor, just to be on the safe side. Your results are phenomenal, take care and keep us posted!
Bruising is getting better. Stitches out tomorrow and we'll see what the Doctor says. I know he did lipo under chin, but I think he may have done some in front of ears as well, or bruising is from interior muscle stitching.