6 Days Post Tummy Tuck with Lipo to Flanks - Newport Beach, CA

The first few days are a haze, the pain pump was...

The first few days are a haze, the pain pump was removed day five. It was a great help I'm sure.

My dr keeps the drains in until postop day 11. So, that's what I'm waiting for now. Standing straight up as of today. Not taking any pain medication just an antibiotic and finishing up the stool softener.

Overall, I feel pretty good, except I'm not used to feeling my muscles pulled tight, and the numb stomach is odd. Haven't really had the courage to take a good look, but my husband and dr said it looks great- waiting to look until the drains come out. The I'll feel more like myself. Glad it's done, but not sure I can say it's worth it yet.

Drains are out. Belly button is perfect and tummy...

Drains are out. Belly button is perfect and tummy is washboard flat. I feel great! The lipo on my flanks looks amazing, no bruises. I'll post before and after when I get a chance.

Dr. Richard Lee

I consulted with 5 surgeons. Dr Lee explained the surgery as if my result was as important to him as it was to me. I did not feel like this was just a routine consultation, but an individualized personal attention. The photos of his tummy tuck work are very impressive, incisions low, belly buttons natural and not big open circles or long open ovals. And, he's johns Hopkins trained- go with the best.

Well said Accompli...I start off the morning feeling great I get up and think I can do sooo much then at nite time I am paying for it. I too read all the posts on here that some are working out 2 weeks post op...I dont see myself there at all. You are absolutley right you have to give time to heal. Having help around the house is great. My husband took time off of work for 5 days then my mom stayed with me for another 4 days that was a huge blessing...It helps when you have a family that supports you. Even my 12 year old son has stepped in and helped out.
We do need to take it easy during the first 4 weeks. I am a fit man with strong abs and I found that if I made an effort, my abs pushed on my incision. Now I am in my 8 weeks and I am still restricted in the amount of effort I can do.
Exercise your abs, quit all wheat products and sugar to loose as much fat as you can.
I go in sept to get my tt. I can't wait. Any advice?
Biggest most important thing is to have help after the surgery so you have time to recover. I keep reading all this reviews from women who are up and very active within the first week postop. Don't do that- you're body needs the first two weeks after to recover. You'll have an easier recovery, more likely free of complications, if you give in to the fact that it takes time to heal from this surgery. My friend was too active after surgery, and had to keep a drain in for six weeks- not worth it! Watch a movie, drink a lot of water, do breathing exercises (helps alleviate tightness), go to the bathroom, walk around the house for a few minutes, sit or lie down and read a magazine, drink a lot of water, do breathing exercises, get up take a walk around the house, take a nap, watch a few shows, drink a lot of water, do breathing exercises (will also keep fever down because you're expanding your lungs), take a walk around the house. You get the picture- take it easy! Have a friend come by and visit for a bit every few days to break up the boredom. That's my advice. Good luck- I'm sure it will go well. If you have a good surgeon, a lot of it is in your hands once it's done. A great end result is what we are all looking for-
Oh finally! I had a full tt, with lipo and flanks feb 21. It definately takes a while to recover. And the first week or so definately keep up with the pain meds. Accompli, I couldn't have said it better myself! I did it as an outpatient (not a good move for me). I don't handle the after affects of general anesthesia so with that and the pain, i was pretty drugged up for about 3 days to get through it. I hated the tightness and numbness but that continually got better. There is light at the end of the tunnel, a nice flat tummy!
I think I will be able to handle it. I have a lot of people to help. Did you have to have help taking a shower and using the bathroom? And did you sleep in a recliner?
I waited to take a shower until the pain pump was removed 5 days post surgery. I washed my hair in the sink at 3 days post b/c I just couldn't stand it any longer. I didn't have help in the shower because I was/am a little freaked out about the incision and didn't want to look at myself at that point. I put the drain bulbs in a little zippered pouch that I strapped around my waist. Took the binder off carefully, and enjoyed the warm water. I stood there for a good twenty minutes. Carefully dried off, and put a thin cotton tank top on underneath my Velcro binder. Reattached the drain bulbs to the binder, and sat down to catch my breath for a few minutes. Do everything slowly. Got dressed, dried hair, went back to bed. I've used a bunch of pillows on my bed instead of the recliner. Mire comfortable for me, but I know lots of people seem to live in the recliner the first week or so. I took my second shower 7 days post and third 9 days post. Getting easier each time. Drains come out Monday, and then it will be much easier! Of my friends who have done this, no one really told me about all this because they are avyear or two out and don't really remember the details. They just live the result. I can't wait to get to that point, but I wish I knew all the recovery stuff beforehand so I could prepare myself for it better. So, i'm not sugar coating it, and it's all doable. It's just a matter of patience and keeping a good attitude that thus too shall pass.
I'm sure you will be ok, my PS didn't use staples so I don't know what that feels like. According to some of my friends it feels like a small amount of pinching/pressure but not pain good luck.
thank you for yr reply..as far as i understood i ve got the sutures and staples the same time..he took out the drain (one) next morning before i left the hospital.. told him i cant stand it,and he said its ok,, i suppose each dr has his strategy..:)but i think you will agree that its worth it..after my 3 c-sections and one additional op couldnt stand this UFO skin tummy any more,, gosh never thought i had so much,good luck to you also :)
Hi Suzana-
I had staples with my 2 c-sections and it did not hurt to remove them at all- just a little pull here or there. I thought it would hurt, but it didn't. I have sutures with my tummy tuck. I'm going to see my dr today for my 7 day postop appointment. Not sure what he does today, probably just looking at the incision for healing.
I washed my binder last night and slept without it- huge step, but I'm ready to put it back on this morning. Drains come out on Monday unless I can convince the dr to take them out today- not likely. The drains are the scar are like frankenstein- totally agree with you! But, it must getter better by a few weeks out or everyone wouldn't be so excited about their results. Not sugar coating it- this is a physically and emotional tough recovery. Hang in there.
I didn't have staples but anyone that had a c section has and I'm sure it's not bad at all, you'll be fine.
thank you so much for your reply..wish all goes well:)
Am only day 3 post op and tomorrow the dr planning to remove those nasty staplers.. i sneak a quick look into my mini tummy tuck, God i look like Frankenstein..my quetion is..will it hurt to remove them?..and is it not too soon? thanks suzana.
Wow, to have had a pain pump for 5 days. that is the correct way to do this. I was an out patient full and Lipo with vicodin and really suffered but did get through it. Coming along great, just went back to work sin ce my job is a bit physical, I cook in a restaurant.
I can't imagine doing this as an outpatient. You are strong! I am a believer in the pain pump. After consulting with 5 PS's, 2 of them used a pain pump as matter of course. It was optional i.e. pay more and you can have it with one, and two thought the risk of infection from another tube outweighed the value of the pump. It was worth every penny and was removed w/out any complications. So, if you can get it, then get it. I really felt no different than when I recovered from my 2-sections. In fact, the lipo of the flanks was/is more tender than my tummy. Who knew?
I had tt on Feb 15 and I still feel tight.
I had a seroma, not expecting that complication. I am 5 weeks post op and have been coughing for two weeks and holding my abdomen. Will this dislodge anything? Thanks.
It shouldn't those sutures are tight! Your doctor should be able to reassure you and maybe give you something to relieve the cough. How long did you have the drains in post surgery? And, how active have you been in the last week? The muscles and skin need to glue themselves back together to avoid seromas. Take it easy if/ when you can. I read that this is as extreme a surgery as open heart-
I am 5 weeks po as well and i have a seroma as well. However mine had to be opened and drained. I'm currently on antibiotics. You won't dislogde anything by coughing it's actually good for your lungs to cough. I know it hurts like a son of a sea biscot but it will get better I'm still using a pillow across my belly if i have to cough deeply. Try coughing lightly to see if that will help out some. It worked a little for me.
My drains were out less than 24 hours, too soon I think. I had a little flank lipo. The drainage was a lot and I had an hour ride home. Was in over night. They said the seroma could have started if I turned wrong. I was inactive for the first week. At 2 1/2 weeks I had 300 ml drained off and had to go to Toronto twice a week for drainage for four weeks. We are down to 6 ml. I just had an abdominal ultra sound done to see if any pockets of fluid. I knew the skin has to join with the muscle but it seems every time I move I feel pulling. Is this keeping the area from attaching?
I have been told in 6 months I won't know the seroma happened.
A back scratcher is great for picking things up off the floor.... and food tongs!!!
Yes I know it was major surgery. Thanks for the support!
I know- my stomach muscles are so tight I feel them when I stand up. I start pressing on them and rubbing my upper stomach muscles because it feels very strange. Maybe my dr made them too tight? Or maybe it's just a feeling that fades over time as I get used to my tighter muscles? Anyone experience this?
I am just a little over 6 months post op and I STILL feel like my stomach muscles are tight. Not as bad as the first couple of months after surgery - those couple of months I would describe it like my torso felt like it was in cement! It doesn't feel like that anymore, but still feels tight. Let's just say I am always aware of my stomach muscles. My surgeon told me that it might take the full year from surgery to "settle down".
I'm 6 weeks post op tt with lipo. It was driving me nuts , the tightness but it is easing up believe me. and the numbness is very gradual but getting better. I cried and said what did I do? but you'll be fine.