Be Aware of the Possibility of Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo

Yes, it was painful. If you have had other facial...

Yes, it was painful. If you have had other facial treatments before it is a step up from that painwise. It hurt. Please be aware if you have side effects to the medications they give you. (Valium, other). I don't ever take those pills and I felt wonky for a long time after. Also, I felt a sharp electrical-type shock at one point and my nerve on the top of my head on one side still feels numb, it didn't feel right that it happened, it really jolted me, but I've read that there is some numbness with these procedures and it is eventually going away.

A surprising side effect was vertigo the following day. It progressively got worse for up to a month (spinning when I lied down) and I went to my GP who referred me to an inner ear specialist. They diagnosed me with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo and treated it with a unique physiotherapy movement. Essentially this can occur when you are bumped in the head -- inner ear crystals dislodge from the fluid and float away, these crystals help maintain your balance. A simple "adjustment" to "refloat" those crystals back in to the inner ear fluid and sleeping upright for 3 days and two weeks of no exercise cured it.

The doctors speculate it was the vibrations from the ultra sound. My main worry about this is that I don't know if it was something that is related to me personally and how I'd respond to this type of treatment because perhaps I'm vulnerable to ear things? I have no idea, I don't think I'm vulnerable to these things, but one will never know until you do it! Or, if it was the individual providing me with the treatment who may lack experience? But I doubt it, she does this a lot and was very good. She was excellent, the office is reputable and I would use them for other services. But it was a reality check that these things can happen and when you mess with your body - you better make sure you are aware there are a small percentage of side effects that could effect you.

I should let you know that when I told the offices about my vertigo they were perplexed and didn't think it could be the treatment. This was before I went to a specialist that said otherwise. But upon further research, think about it, an ultrasound on the face? It very possibly effected me. I had great skin before, I have done many different treatments before -- I was forwarned that would mean my before and after wouldn't be dramatic. What I did notice is that my face is much, much firmer. I noted this several weeks after. I have my jawline back. I have a "lift" around my eyes for sure - in fact, I have what looks like a slight pull on my forehead. My skin feels very taut. People think I've lost too much weight around my face - I didn't lose weight, I just tightened up, which I LOVE! And I should also tell you - I'm a treatment know it all. I LOVE trying new things and I still will consider new things. I'm just hesitant about doing this one again after my first scenario. I also don't think I would need it!

I just had a consult today for Ultherapy, so your information is timely for me. I have sinus problems that are often accompanied by dizziness, sometimes extreme dizziness when I turn over in bed or get up too fast. I've had the problem since the onset of my allergies, right after my son was born...thirty years ago! I will ask the doctor about this, though I'm sure there have been few reports. And, quite often correlation DOES mean causation, or at least it should be taken seriously and researched.
big apple chic,
Keep in mind CORRELATION DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN CAUSATION! When something bad goes wrong with us most people are looking to find a reason to make sense of things, sometimes things just happen coincidentally and are truly unrelated.
Taking in to consideration all variables I would be hard pressed to think its something else less than a day later. I still think this warning is worth putting out there. It happened to me and regardless I'm thrilled with the results of my newly firm face, jawline and the results of Ultherapy months later have been close to lifechanging for me. The compliments keep coming! Sadly, I would be concerned doing it again as regardless if you think it's correlation, the "coincidence" is too, well, coincidental and I'd prefer not to risk it.
BAC,
Thank u for your post. I had ultherapy done around my mouth 4 days ago and have been off-balance ever since. It's been kind of scary since I didn't know what it was. Sleeping upright for 3 days? Sheesh.
I have welts around my mouth and a white bump, which is not reassuring.
Is your vertigo gone?
Hi there,

My vertigo is gone however not without a treatment called "Epley Maneuver" which was done by my recommended Ear, Nose, Throat doctor. It's a positioning strategy similar to something a physiotherapist does. There is a lot of information on BPPV and Epley online if you google. I informed my esthetician and they reported my situation to Ultherapy. They said they'd never heard of this problem before (it's a new treatment so would imagine they'll be hearing more about this). It can be repaired but won't repair itself (to my knowledge). Please report this to your doctor. Regarding sleeping upright - those crystals need to refloat back in to the inner ear fluid. The information is found on the web but a doctor needs to help you get back to normal.

Oh no, sorry to hear you had to experience vertigo. :-( I've had it before & it is definitely no fun! That is great that you have seen such good changes from your Ultherapy treatment though.

Please keep us posted as to what changes you continue to see in your skin, and if you experience anymore vertigo.