Bye Bye Belly!

I will be 36 this month. I am a mother of 4 (5 now...

I will be 36 this month. I am a mother of 4 (5 now that we have custody of my step-daughter). My first birth was via c-section and was followed by 3 VBAC's. My oldest is 17 and my youngest is 4. Its safe to say that for 17 years I have been really uncomfortable with the appearance of my stomach. With a small frame, each of my babies being 9 lbs or better, my stomach is pretty much stretched beyond recognition.

Over the years I have thought constantly of having a tuck and have had 4 consults with different surgeons but still either felt like I was being selfish for even wanting one, felt guilty for considering spending that much money on myself vs my kids, or felt foolish for "risking my life" with an elective operation. As I've gotten older..and with eeach pregnancy, my stomach went from being flat with extra loose stretched skin...to bulgy and mis-shapen (still with loose sagging skin).

I started to experience alot if abdominal pain over the past few years, especially in the bulgy section of my stomach. I finally made time to go to the Dr and was informed that I have several hernias!! My hernia surgeons(2)are very thorough and patient and explained to me that they could certainly fix my hernia issues but that I should prepare myself that the appearance of my stomach would likely be worse that ever. They would likely have to cut me vertically, I would no longer have a navel and they could do nothing about my loose hanging skin. (My reaction...Ummmm worse??I dont think I can psychologically deal with my belly being WORSE) They suggested that I consult with a that they often operate with in situations like mine who could address my sag situation while they took care of the hernia business. I met with her and was thoroughly impressed. She was just as patient and informative and helped me to feel good about my decision to move forward with both procedures.

I figure if I now So here I am! I am scheduled for Hernia/muscle repair surgery with mesh and a full tt on March 1st. To say I am anxious would be an extreme understatement! i still feel a little guilty now and then but I know Im overdue to do something for myself and finally feel like I deserve it!!!

Had my ekg, physical and bloodwork today and my MD...

Had my ekg, physical and bloodwork today and my MD gave me the green light! The reality of this is finally sinking in.I know the next 16 days will fly by so my priority now is getting everything squared away for recovery.

The big event is 2 weeks from today!! My birthday...

The big event is 2 weeks from today!! My birthday is this Saturday. It will be wine/champagne-less though since I have given up all alcohol (and coffee) for about 6 weeks so far The coffee was harded to pass up than the wine! Ive switched to smoothies and fresh pressed juices. Will see if I can stick to it post-surgery.

Almost 5 months post (8/1) and feeling great! I...

Almost 5 months post (8/1) and feeling great! I actually had some swelling this past week or so...but will attribute that to the heat and working 13 hour days. Trying to relax and hydrate this weekend!!!
Michelle Zweifler, MD

Dr Zweifler came highly reccomended to me by the surgeons who were performing my hernia repair. From the moment I met her, she eased my fears, patiently answered all of my questions and quickly gained my trust. From her professionalism and bedside manner to her commitment to patient care...she was outstanding across the board.

Hey NY glad you got through it OK!!!
It's awesome that you are going into it with such a good attitude! I hope I can do the same when my time comes! Good luck and God bless:)
Hey Nenee!

March 1st will be here before we know it! I will be paying for my surgery tomorrow. No turning back then! Right now I'm just totally on edge with anticipation and trying to get everything in order.

Will you be in the hospital or outpatient?
Hey New york!!
Yes it will!! Next week and I am so ready!! I also have been preparing for the big day..I still have things to do..I went ahead and paid in advance. so everything is all paid in full. My surgery will be outpatient. How about yours?? You are right about that, there is no turning back! I am really not nervous or scared I am just ready to get rid of this stomach!! I am so ready to feel sexy again!!!
Thanks Ramseur! I am getting extra anxious. I just want to wake up and be on the other side of recovery already!

How did your physical go?
Hey New York4260,
How r you feeling? I am schedule to have my surgery on the same. It is always nice to find people who is about to go thru the same thing at the same time as myself!! I am super excited!!!
Welcome Bye Bye. Your surgery date is fast approaching and always remember you earned it and for sure worth it.

I am twice your age and only just now decided to do it for myself. Guess I am a little slow on the uptake, but like you I am fed up with the stomach in my lap when I sit. UGH. I am scheduled for March 13.

I go for my physical tomorrow and my pre-op is 2/22 and am so anxious about it. I have no fears just want it done already!!

Good luck and keep us updated.