Getting Serious About Getting This Done - NY

Hello everyone. I'm 21 and have considered getting...

Hello everyone. I'm 21 and have considered getting a rhinoplasty for about 6 years since highschool when I broke my nose after a nasty fall in yoga. Aesthetically, I just could not grow to love it on my face and because it is smack in the middle of my main features, it has grown to be a GIANT nuisance. I know very well how to take pics from certain angles and how to look certain ways. I was never picked on for my nose (to my own knowledge anyhow lol) but it really is too big for my lips and distracts immesly from my eyes.

#1) my tip is extremely bulbuous and truly lacks definition and is very exaggerated/droops with my smile (which I love to do and do often!). I feel that there is an excess of cartilage here and it's my dream to have it minimized and more importantly, defined. This is the only part of my nose that I want a more-than-subtle difference in but my concern is the pinched cookie cutter kind of nose so I want to avoid that as well. The overall largeness/bulbuousness starts a little past the bridge when the nose bones go extremely farther apart (in an asymetrical way too) and extend out leading to my second equally important concern ......flaring of nostrils/nasal base. I wear glasses instead of contacts just to balance this out because I don't like the attention/space the nose gets.

#2) the width of the nose. I want an alar base reduction but am terrified of getting a severe one. This has to be subtle because I want one that would complement the tip work and fit together with it like lock-and-key.

#3)I acquired a bump after the yoga accident and it's on the left side. It isn't too major but can be noticed from the right -- looks somewhat of a gap before leading down to the tip. I would like that shaved down so it can look like a more even slope though I have to stay profile isn't my main concern because I don't have too much of a problem here and no severe hump, just lack of definition/uprightness of tip but that should be accounted for in tip work.

#4) My nose doesn't feel symmetrical and I am not sure if this is due to the bone or the cartilage structure but I know for sure that the left & right profiles and especially, the left and right 3/4 shots are different from each other. Could this be because of the direction of the deviated septum or is that more of an external issue? I always take pictures showing more of my left profile and less of my right because it looks like a completely different nose. I'm guessing this would be addressed while bringing the nasal bones in as well as when doing the alar reduction so it's just a redundant way of putting #1 & #2 together.

I have been to a few consultations in NYC to no avail because I couldnt find comfort in their results. However, I have a consultation with a really good realself doc on september 10th and I'm extremely excited because you guys wrote some great reviews about him.

If anyone has any pointers to share with me when they were at this stage of their journey, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks :)

I still do not have a provider and have pretty...

I still do not have a provider and have pretty much been sleeping on the issue since my work has completely overtaken my life. I went out few days ago and was looking at some photos and am seriously MORTIFIED by how my nose looks. I really need to get this surgery, fix it and never look back. It's just so hard to take the big step, you know?

I also am finding the financial aspect uneasy -- it seems like more than vacation money but it HELLA bothers me so I think it's justifiable. It's just there is nothing you can do for a big nose and it's borderline tragic how it makes me feel, how much I hate smiling bc of it etc

Update: I am finally headed upstate to White...

Update: I am finally headed upstate to White Plains early tomorrow for a consult with Dr. Ciardullo. I have two other surgeons who I'd definitely consider so I will see how the consultation goes with him, compare work/price quote, how soon scheduling etc and hopefully make my choice by this weekend! I'm excited. And I just added a photo (yes sorry my eyes are blacked out and demonic looking lol) and it just bothers me so much how droopy the tip is and how wide the nose is when I smile :( It makes me so self conscious =/

Ah so I finally feel like I have clear direction. ...

Ah so I finally feel like I have clear direction. I went to my appointment for a consultation with Dr. C and really, it was fantastic. I like how he pointed out everything that I was going to say before I even said it, so much that as I was going through my extensive 2 page questions and diagram (yes, I drew a diagram of my nose lol), I noticed that he'd already answered it all! One thing he did mention was that profile-wise, my columella is really short and bc of that, it'll be a limiting step in achieving an upturned tip. That's fine by me, however, and I saw so many photos of his patients and a few whose noses were like mine.

I really never had such a fun consultation and not only was I at ease, he was very informative esp since I'm really interested in plastic surgery so I appreciated it a lot. I am going to be going away to europe for winter break but want to book it for either last week of january or first of february. I'm so excited!

I read some reviews which made me unsure. I think...

I read some reviews which made me unsure. I think more than anything, I just can't seem to find a surgeon in the nY/NJ area who would deliver the kind of nose I want. The true ethnic rhino experts seem to all be in Beverly Hills and it's astounding how I havent found the same results in before after pics.

I am going to book a skype consult because I have to head out to California for work this summer and I figure, or at least hope, that I can manage to squeeze in a rhinoplasty and post op vacay there.

I have also learned that i really do not care about side profile views. It seems like everyone knows how to shave a bump not that I even care about my little bump. What bothers me the most is the large tip and wide nostrils and I want all those nasty redundant cartilages in the bottom of the nose taken care of and reduced. Also, I know this might sound weird but aesthetically, I want my nose to be smaller than my mouth in width. I truly dislike the ratio of nostril base to lip and I love my lips and want to enhance them as well as my eyes by first reducing this grosslly big schnoz.

Also, can an admin please delete the doctor I have chosen here. I only went to a consult and never booked a surgery as I am still shopping around. thanks!
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

You look so incredibly beautiful, i might as well put a bag over my head right now. Lol. Your nose really doesn't look that bad at all but all that matters is what you think. Happy that your consultation went well, have you booked the surgery yet? Good luck and please keep us informed :)
gracias matilda, as do you!!! I am so stoked for your and my surgery! I haven't booked because I am taking heed off a few reviews and because I just got a new job which now gives me much better hours to schedule surgery consults with doctors as I please. After reading reviews here, let's just say I am going to go to at least about 8 more before solidifying my decision.
im also from nyc and looking for a good surgeon seen 2 surgeons so far but not yet sure. went on dr ciardullos site and he only shows before and after pics of the side view only. i also have a wide nose that i want to take care of and his ratings seem great! but wish he showed front view too lol wth. anyways was he cheaper than the nyc dr?
he's not necessarily cheaper but def has more experience. I am looking to actually reconsult with him soon bc i want it done before I leave the country for summer vacay. His quote was $6200 and most manhattan docs are around $8 K but I've gotten an offer for less than $6K with a top notch surgeon but they lower the price to that only if you agree to have a septoplasty as well so they can bill the insurance for the septoplasty
Good luck tomorrow! How exciting! I have nothing to offer advice wise, but I can tell you that I had clicked & dragged samples of noses I like and noses I didn't into a file, and then I brought my computer to show my doc. It helped me to remember my preferences. I also had a written list of questions. Good luck!!!
thank you! My consultation was amazing. It's kind of crazy how everyone on here wasn't making anything up so it was great to see it for myself. I really like his extensive experience, his aesthetic approach, and his demeanor/bedside manner. Now that I have definitely narrowed him down as my provider, all is left is to simply book it and I'm super stoked to do that! :)
My best advice (besides the basics of finding a good doctor who takes time to listen) is: be VERY specific about your expectations. It's really helpful if the doctor has some type of imaging software that can show you what you should look like after surgery (post swelling). Because that way, you both at least have something to work off of. The main reason for this is to: 1) Have a better chance at achieving your goals. 2) Avoid extra expense and depression for a revision. Even though some doctors have it to where a revision is already included, the cost of anesthesia is usually not. 3) After surgery it takes up to a year to see final results (I'm sure you know that by now), but the swelling makes your nose appear alot different than what you're hoping, and to have clear communication with your doctor about your expectations can help keep you more at ease during the healing phase. Some concerns I would address with your doctor, since you said you wanted tip work, is to make sure he knows at what angle to keep your profile at. It's possible when tip work is done; your nose can come out really upturned (pig nose). Or, maybe you would actually like it a little bit upturned? Also, whether you want a pointy or round tip. Basically just stress all the possibilities of what you want changed and what inadvertently can. Hopefully you have that all addressed already, but if not, I would definitely do so! Good luck, and I hope all goes well.
Thank you so much!!
You have the perfect lips I wasn't even looking at your nose! But I think it'll look so cute with the tip raised slightly, good luck :) I've heard great things about Dr. Ciardullo
thank you omg I just read your story and loved it!!! your new nose will look amazing and you have such beautiful eyes!! :)
Aw thanks girl you too:))
I almost went with Dr. Ciardullo. Most of his reviews all over the web are excellent...although I did find one or two very negative reviews, but they seem to really be the exception rather than the rule. You're probably in good hands if you go with him. My doc was up in Albany, and he was excellent (almost 2 weeks post-op). The surgery is a breeze. You lay down on the bed, close your eyes, and POOF! It's all over when you open back up. The only real pain came from the sore throat from the breathing tube (lasted about 2 days), and it is not too comfortable having to sleep with the head elevated. That and all the caked up blood that collects inside the nostrils over the first week are probably the worst parts. Ultimately, recovery was a breeze for me. Movies and ice cream all day :) You're nose does not look bad at all, but I can understand why you are uncomfortable with it and I hope all goes well. Let me know if I can help in any way
Thank you!!! It's so good to hear from someone who just went through with it! What made you ultimately choose yoru doctor over this one? I'm thinking of getting it done by the end of this year if I can get squeezed in during the holiday break so I can perfectly recooperate w/o taking a crazy chunk of time off work
My surgeon was really patient with me and showed that he was clearly more interested in just making money, he really cared about giving me the best possible result. He was has a great educational background and 30 years experience, which went a long long way in increasing my confidence. Also, all of his pre and post-op appointments are free of charge. If you want another consultation, I would def recommend him (though he is all the way up in Albany).
The two reviews I've read about this PS have also been good! You couldn't get a consultation sooner than October? I wouldn't be able to wait that long, lol.
not october but end of this month. It was originally supposed to be on monday but alas, my work schedule isn't compatible with their consultation schedule. I'm so excited though bc I've heard good things and basically, I haven't had to wait this long ever for a consult so maybe it's the anticipation that's killing me? lol

Have you read this thread about questions to ask your prospective surgeon?

I hope you like your new doctor and can schedule your surgery soon. Please continue to share with us!