Sliding Genioplasty- Recessed Chin 27-year-old Male - Very Happy with Results - New York, NY

I consulted with a few jaw surgeons to find out...

I consulted with a few jaw surgeons to find out what I could do to improve my appearance. Double jaw surgery was recommended by all of them, but it was ultimately too expensive and I didn't want to wear braces. I, therefore, opted to just get my chin advanced to mask my jaw issues as best I could. Both of my jaw are recessed, but sliding the chin forward helps cover the mandibular recession somewhat.

I had seen the review posted by one of Dr. Jamali's other patients on here and was impressed with the result, so I decided to have the sliding genioplasty with him. I originally came in with a computer morph of my face, but he was very honest and told me that I would look ugly if he were to advance my chin as far as the morph depicted.

He drew on the x-rays where he thought my chin would be after surgery, and I liked his sense of aesthetics, so I gave him the very general instructions to just do whatever he felt was best to make me look more normal. I agreed to do the surgery on the day of my first consult and scheduled it for a few weeks later.

The actual surgery itself was a breeze. I never experienced any pain whatsoever. I had no need for the painkillers which were prescribed and never took them. I was noticeably swollen for the first 10 days or so and had a bandage wrapped around my face for the first 3 or 4. I couldn't really talk for the first few days either.

The only issue I had with recovery was that I was allergic to the amoxicillin which was prescribed as a preventative measure. I developed a large rash from it.

I am six weeks post-OP now and really don't have any more side effects from the surgery except that my bottom teeth feel a bit tight. I also have a jawline step-off, but I've been told that it should fill in over the course of the next year. Even if it doesn't, I look a lot better than I did before. The chin was advanced 5-6mm and a 2mm wedge was removed from the right side to correct an asymmetry. I didn't have my chin height changed, but if I were a woman, I definitely would have done so.

The biggest surprise benefit of the surgery has been how my lip position has changed. If you look at the before picture, my bottom lip used to recede very badly and looked like it was being pulled back. I have no clue why, but I no longer suffer from this problem. I don't even think Dr. Jamali intended to correct this as he made no mention of my lower lip improving.

You look great! Fantastic story...congratulations! MVPT
Very nice result ! Just a question, why did you choose to have a SG and not a chin implant ? Thanks
I am super happy for you and can definitely see the improvement in your photos! Thanks so much for sharing on RealSelf.
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

I can't think of a single thing to criticize. It all went perfectly. He gave me his phone number after the surgery and was very helpful in answering all of my questions. To break down the cost, I paid $4500 for the surgery, $1900 in hospital fees, and $2200 for the anesthetic.