A Tummy Tuck with Dr. Shafer is Amazing - New York, NY

Before going to Dr. Shafer, I had wanted to look...

Before going to Dr. Shafer, I had wanted to look into getting a tummy tuck. I was so scared but really wanted to do it. 2 years ago a Dr. I had gone to picked up on how scared I was and told me all I needed was a mini tuck and there was barely any pain and I would be at the beach in a week. Even though I looked on line and read pretty negative things about getting a mini - I did it anyway. What a terrible mistake. The length of the recovery was no shorter then a full tummy tuck, I had almost the same length scar but NO results. After going through all that expense and pain I ended up with almost a worse looking tummy. I tried going into work out mania but it only made the skin look worse, the belly button looked deformed and I was just getting depressed.

I will be turning 50 in a few months and finally had the courage to tell my husband I had to fix my mistake. I interviewed a ton of doctors. I basically read a million reviews on line and then narrowed down the ones I would be interested in. Some were hesitant because someone had already worked on me, others just had no personality and then I walked into Dr. Shafers office and I knew. He looked at my stomach and went into action! Describing with passion and confidence everything he would do and how happy I would finally be. I just had my tt done Jan 11. Not only is Dr. Shafer amazing but his staff (Eileen is a doll) and Dr. Wade (the anesthesiologist) are all amazing as well. Dr. Shafer prefers to use a twilight sedation with an epidoral to do the procedure. He and Dr. Wade feel it has so many more benefits and none of the side effects of general.

Since I already had a procedure before I can tell you my full tummy tuck with extensive muscle repair, hernia, and lipo hurt so so much less than the mini! First 24 hours are the toughest but to be honest I took my pain meds and because you are still blocked from the epi it really wasnt that bad. I can't believe how quickly I am recovering.

I am at day 8 and have not used any pain meds for 5 days and am walking almost totally straight. Dr. Shafer personally came to visit me at the hotel I was staying at 2 times. Dr. Wade & Eileen both called just to check in! I am so happy I found Dr. Shafer and I hope that I can help someone else to not make the mistake I made. He is a caring, honest and an amazing surgeon - what more could you ask for!!

New York Plastic Surgeon

I actually wish I could rate higher! I chose this Dr. based on his reviews and my review is just another great one added to his list of well deserved and earned reviews.

aw i m literally considering consulting with him soon,like within 2 weeks! i want it done december,just getting up another G$ and a 1/2,to have a even 7000.00 cash save and question chica,where is the pix,how can we see Dr.Shafer great prowess?(meaning his skills)on the new you!I am considering schedule appt.with him because i already had consults,but i m hearing on another site he is really good and i see pix of his work,with others,but not yours.congrats! adios
Thank you Brooklyn227, all is well we are taking it one day at a time.
Do you have pictures?
great price! did your price include anesthesia fees? I've read great reviews about him.
OMG you are right that IS too cheap!!! I had a chin lipo done and my tummy tuck. I put down the wrong amount. It was more like $10,000 and then anesthesia was $3,500 because I chose to do my procedures in Dr. Shafers private surgical facility. There are 2 options. Hospital, which requires general anesthesia. and then Dr. Shafers preferred method is to give you twilight sedation, while asleep they then give you an epidoral. This makes all the muscles totally relaxed, which makes the sewing of the ab muscles that much better. General anesthesia wears off in one shot. With the epidoral and then the other slow relase pain meds Dr. Shafer administers right to the muscles, it wears off gradually just like your pain does day by day. Since I had the mini tuck first, with another Dr. down in Florida, the pain was terrible. With Dr. Shafer, it has been a bare minimal to none - I swear. His technique is just amazing. He is so honest and smart. I just went for my 3 week post op and everything (belly button, incision site - looks amazing. My scar is so flat and skin colored at 3 weeks!! Last time, it was thick and ugly and just wrong!!!! I am driving and doing mile housework and really feel great. The swelling goes down every day and my stomach truly looks amazing already. As for the chin lipo. I had the beginning of jowls and a sack under my neck. It wasn't very large but to me, it was awful. I went on several consults and different plastic surgeons wanted to do all kinds of face surgeory on me. 2 of the drs. I interviewed said absolutely not necessary to cut your face. Just a quick chin lipo and you will be amazed. One of the Drs. who said this was of course Dr. Shafer. My jaw and chin are so flush, I am shocked! It still is a tiny bit swollen but my husband couldn't believe it. He know wants to definitely get the same thing done. If you are seriously thinking of getting anything done, you should definitely consider going to see Dr. Shafer. I can't say enough good things about him!
Congratulations, I can tell you are well please. I too will be 50 this year and like you had multiple c-sections. I work out everyday, but again the skin and muscles are just weak. I am scheduled for 02/20/2013 Dr. Zuckerman is my attending Doctor and Dr. Ryan Rubestein are my surgeons. We just connected, like you I was wanting surgery but was afraid, I met with several doctors we did not mesh, but these two Dr.'s just made me feel so comfortable. I had a breast reducation and it seems like all my body fat went to my stomach. Again congratulations...I cannot wait to see your post op photos.
Hi ladies well its getting close to my surgery date 02202013 I completed my pre op medical and pre op photos. I'm a little nervous. But is count down
It really isn't as scary as you think. Just situate yourself so you have everything you need and know that every day gets better. Keep in mind that the recovery is long but you will not be in pain just inconvenienced. Stay positive and just stay focused on the fact that you will truly be so happy with your beautiful new tummy! Here are some things I bought prior that made my life easier! Bromelain and arnica. Great for swelling and bruising. I am still taking the bromelain and I am at 4 weeks post op because it helps with swelling. Buy Palmers coco butter gel or oil. I found it in bed bath & beyond. I love the gel. You will need it to rub on your tummy to keep the skin moist to help you also to stand up straight again. Tape and small gauze pads. When they take out the drains you put this on the site to keep it clean and apply pressure so it closes up nicely. Peroxide - need this to clean out the belly button area with a q tip. When I got out of the shower I would blow dry on low my stitch line, which my doc had taped and the belly button. Then I would use q tips to clean out the belly button area, then I would massage my coco gel on tummy then put back binder. My belly button healed amazing and I have heard a lot of people have issues with infections. Buy hibiclens. CVS I would only wash with this for the first 3 weeks. I also would squeeze it into my belly button when in the shower. Now I use antibacterial soap as I am at 4 weeks. I just looked at it like I didn't want any set backs since you have enough to deal with! I went to Marshalls and bought large size jog sets to wear after surgery. Comfortable loose and big. I also bought 2 xl (I wear a small) button all the way down the front night shirts. This is pretty much what I lived in the first two weeks as I had no desire to go out and just wanted to recover. It was confortable and easy to get on and off. Went to Macys and bought firm control high waist girdle underwear. I like them better then spanx. They are less money too. After 2 weeks I started wearing the underwear/girdle and when in the house I put the binder on top.When you go out its easier to wear clothes with the girdle. I also bought large size granny underwear to wear after surgery. Loose and comfortable. Also bought these in marshalls. Already threw them out! But they definitely served there purpose! I bought non salted crackers to eat the first few days so that I wouldn't take my meds on an empty stomach. I stocked up on yogurt and oatmeal. Try to eat as little salt as possible. Also, I took Milk of Magnesia the day before surgery and pretty much started with a clean slate! I then had gas x which you should take when you get home from surgery and with every meal. I do not recommend, like some suggested, to take the milk of mag every day after surgery because the first few days is difficult to be mobile and then the thought of having to run to the bathroom - ugh!. The pain meds def constipate you. So I waited until day three and just took a teaspoon. Had a bm with no problem and by day 3 I didn't need to take any pain meds so I had no issues after that. Well, thats all I can think of. Hope I was of some help. Just keep your mind on the prize (!) Good luck
Mary332 thank you for all the kind words of encoursgement. An most of all for all the tips. My daughter and I wrnt out and purchase the items you suggested. Again thank you. Counting down the 20th is so near

Welcome to the community:)

Congrats, I'm glad all turned out great