Short Upturned Nose After Rhinoplasty - New York City, NY

I got Rhinoplasty done 4 weeks ago and Im really...

I got Rhinoplasty done 4 weeks ago and Im really unhappy with the results. I wanted my nostrils taken in and projection because my nose was flat. Now I have a short, upturned nose thats just ugly. What can I do to fix my nose, my nose wasn't even near the shape it is now. I depressed, want go outside, missing work and ignore my friends. Its taking a toll on me.

Hi Manhattan, I am Asian and I have similar nose like yours and my doctor screwed up my nose exactly like your after picture. Seriously, now I have an upturned and triangle nostrils like yours after rhinoplasty. It really makes me feel horrible. How is your revision? Please update us
I've had my nose done a month ago. I was freaking out when I saw the up turned nose with a ski slope nose bridge when they took off the nose cast. LOL But they reassured me that it'll look more normal in 3-4 months. It's because of the swelling. It pulls everything upwards. When the swelling goes down. The tip will drop lower and finally look Like our original shape prior to surgery. And look more natural. My nose has been getting and looking better everyday. Patience is key. Final results will take one year. Christy
Hey, Thats great your nose is looking much better!! :))). Will you post any new photos?? Would love to see the improved results.
I have the same problem, a turned up, short (pinched) tip. It looks worse from my side profile. I can't understand why some doctors do this to African American's noses. ????? I've been getting laughed at and made fun of for years and its beginning to take it toll. Its just so embarressing!! Dr. Geoffrey Tobias did me this pleasure. People, believe me I did research for 3 years. The best way to go is by word of mouth and contact to others who had good results. Which doctors are truely experienced with African American noses? Please, someone give us names!!!
get your revision, only this time please, please, please, I can't emphasize this enough, please make certain that your doctor is qualified and has a sense of esthetic beauty, and above all is competent enough to do this type of proceedure!. I feel you need to do this because you still have a chance to create harmony and balance and a beautiful new nose. All in all it could have been worse, but your initial doctor needs know he's been posted on this site and so does your new one just as leverage too, were all here rooting for you! You have us on your team, and were all watching, waiting, paying close attention, remind him of this fact, because it can make or break him here on this site I'm certain of this because it's one of the only I've been able to come up with yet like this. I notice most others have been put up by the doctors themselves to promote their own sites, which ought to be banned and off limits! Good luck and keep us posted! Try consulting an attorney too, I don't know if you can orif the doctor doing the surgery covered himself by makeing you sign something prior to surgery, I'm sure they do but it sounds like you have a case because he lied to you ( I hope I'm talking to the right girl here, sorry if I'm confused, did he clearly state that a B&A photo was his work when it wasn't? ) A-n-y-w-a-y-Don't give up hope and good luck, just dont pick a surgeon out of desperation maybe if you take your time evaluating them your nose will gradually fall into properly, and you wont need to do it after all. That's my wish for you sweetie, but on the reals, it does appear that you may need alittle remedying of this surgeons extremely poor work,he is a godawful surgeonwho shouldn't be allowed to practice anywhere, make certain you get his name ( bad doctor) out there on these sites. We can make a difference or even better still, put these lames out of buisness! And try not to let family members hurt your feelings sometimes they don't take the time to think before they say things if they did they wouldn't say them. Good luck and keep us posted!

Hi there,

I just wanted to respond to your comment and let you know that we do everything we can to make sure that doctors don't post reviews to this site. We have pretty good methods of detecting this and use them. So you can rest assured that 99.9% of the reviews here are posted by real people who've had real surgery and honest opinions.

Yea that came out pretty bad..but you can't blame no one but yourself..you take a chance when getting surgery done..next time keep what god gave you and you won't be walking around with a elf nose!
Well thats pretty rude! Why don't you go and post your negative comments on another site. This website is about support, not putting people down. If you dont agree with people's choices of getting something cosmetic done, why are you on this site??!
who was your doctor??? name and shame him
I agreed with other people. Don't get discourage. I was in the same boat the first few weeks. It has been a month for me and I am still concern with the top part of my bridge. I am still very swollen at my tip. No one yet have pointed out that I even had a rhinoplasty, and my relative comment on how I actually grew to be better looking than when I was a kid. I would agreed with experimenting with your hair and make up. It will get better! We are only beginning the marathon of recovery. Good Luck.

I'm sorry if my use of the term "cute" seemed condescending. I didn't mean it to be. It's hard without seeing the rest of your face to put your nose into context. Maybe you'll find RealSelf's Revision Rhinoplasty community helpful as well. Please be careful and research your surgeon very well. Three months post-op is very early to have a revision. You might also want to post this in our doctor Q&A community (with photos) to get some expert guidance.

Good luck, and please keep us posted throughout your journey.

Rivision after 1 month? Wait a year and your nose will drop more and more.

Your tip looks swollen , so that contributes to lifting the tip up. I saw many pics of girls like you , and their tip dropped to normal after 6-9 months.

Be pateint its only 1 month.
I went to Eric Sadeh, so thats one less doctor to worry about. im getting a revision from Dr. Rizk.
did you get your revision with Dr. Rizk? I am considering him for my revision.
Hi, I am sorry that things didn't turn out the way you wanted them to but honestly it doesn't look THAT bad though I can see where the doc went wrong :(

Btw.. which surgeon did you go to in NY?

I am lookin to have my nose done so I'm looking for a good surgeon.
I dont' think it's appropriate to say her nose looks cute. This is not an accetable result from a procedure. This woman needs solid advice about seeking a revision of some sort, and that's exactly what she she needs and should be encouraged to do. I feel your pain, Manhatta. Based on revisions I've seen on this site, I do believe there is reason for hope.
Thanks LA 5147 fot the honesty. I rather someone be honest rather than someone playing with my intelligence. My nose is not acceptable work.
Even though its still swollen I have been to some revision consultations and the PA's all said the same thing. Shame on my doctor. That is work of and amateur, and shame on me for not doing my research because its my face.
There is hope, I just need to wait it out. Until than I just have to get the weird stares and the funny jokes from my family members.
Hey! How is your nose now? how are you feeling?
Hey Marts,
my nose is pretty much the same. The swelling is continuing to go down but now my nose looks lean to the left. Im just counting down the days and keeping myself busy.
Thanks for asking. How did your nose job go, hope your really happy with it.
Aw thank you.
Actually my nose for like, 3 weeks after looked really stiff and fake and changed everyday. My face broke out and my nose kept on running and it was too tender to even touch it to blow my nose properly.
I could barely even talk and I still have problems smiling.

But little by little, my nose is looking less "off" and my smile is coming back (that was my main concern)

With you, do you think your gonna be more comfortable with it after awhile I can definitely relate to the feeling of ruining your looks and looking funny...did people notice? Did you tell anyone beforehand about your surgery? I guess eventually you'll be able to get used to it. Don't worry, for awhile, the swelling caused my nose to look really uneven too. I don't even take pictures anymore because its depressing. lol. But I know if I give it a few more months, ittle get better!

Don't give up hope!!:D
Hey Marts,
Thanks so much for the encouraging words. Everyday gets a lil better. I have to get use to it because its on my face. I haven't told anyone. I went to visit my grandmother she ask if I lost weight and my father noticed it of the back and said straight out I DONT LIKE IT YOU LOOK LIKE MICHAEL JACKSON, that really hurts my feelings.
Anyways all those feelings are normal. Your smile change and the runny nose is so annoying. Its also normal for your face to break out cause minds sure did but I think it was stress. Try not looking in the mirror so much, it helped me a lil bit.
Give it a couple months you will start to like it and feel like yourself again, Once you don't have a upturn or a lean nose you will be find. God Luck, cant wait to see your pics.

I agree with Marts! Sometimes it's just a matter of getting used to a new look. I think your nose looks cute, but that's coming from a total outsider.

also you may wanna check out Dr. Boahene. He has a whole section on African American rhinoplasty on his site.
Yes he is qualified, which I thought. I did a lot of research on him and found that he was good, and a friend of minds got her nose done by him and it looks good. I don't know what happened with me.
Thanks for the advice
Hi Manhattan,

I too am African American and I understand how you feel about not being completely satisfied with the results. I think its a bit too early to judge your nose now. Please don't start considering revisions now. I am exactly 1 week and 1 day post op and was shocked because the nose I received was a bit...pinched and unnatural looking..but then again, I know that in a few months time, it won't look so..."done".
It's too fresh to tell now. Experiment with makeup and with different hairstyles to compliment your new nose..but I wouldnt just give up.
Reading all the reviews of the non-caucasian people who only had bumps removed or minor work and who were really happy with the results right away is kinda of discouraging because you think that your surgery is "messed up" but I think that after awhile, you will start being more used to your new look and it will appear to blend in more with your face!

Anyways, don't be discouraged. Play up your eyes for awhile and have big bold lips to distract away from your nose until your more satisfied with it. But at least wait 6 months to think your surgery was "botched"

Best of luck and keep us posted!!