My LASEK Experience - Excellent !! - New York City, NY

My LASEK experience was excellent, I got the...

My LASEK experience was excellent, I got the surgery done in July 2009. I did extensive research on all the different eye surgery's that are offered(ex. PRK, LASEK, LASIK). I talked to some of my friends that got the LASIK surgery done there exact words were " it was the best thing i ever spent money on". I searched the internet for hours viewing all the different sites for and against.

Once i decided that I wanted to get the surgery, the next step was finding a good doctor. In New York, as I'm sure in many places there tons of doctors who do the surgery. Some are cheap, and some are expensive.

I went to a couple of different places, and did the free consult. One place, was one of those chain eye surgery offices. I did not feel like I was getting personal attention there. I was just another person on the conveyor belt, getting my eyes cut.

I visited maybe 5 or 6 different doctors before I found the one I wanted to the surgery from. This Doctor only offered the LASEK surgery.

When I went for my consult, the doctor looked at both of my eyes, he did various tests in different machines. After reviewing all the test he determined I was a good candidate for the surgery. I made my appointment.

The day of the surgery, the doctor tested my eyes again to make sure nothing had changed and my eyes were healthy. As i was getting prep for the surgery, various drops were put into my eyes to numb them. It stung for a few seconds and then went away.

Once the surgery actually started each eye only took about IDK 30 seconds or so. I did not feel a thing the whole time. After everything was finished I sat up, the doctor told me to look outside at a billboard on one of the buildings. My eyes were a little hazy from the drops and surgery but the picture was very clear. I was amazed, since my whole life I have been wearing glasses.

My recovery time was about a week, pain was mild but i basically slept the whole time. The doctor told me the more my eyes were closed the faster I would heal. I took all of my medications and drops exactly as the doctor told me. It seems some people do not do this, and then there eyes get infected or messed up. I do not think anyone would want to take a chance on this. Since we only have one pair eyes.

Its now about a year and a half after the surgery and i am super happy with the results. I have slight glare at night but only if i am really tired. If I throw some drops in then I'm fine.

It is a great feeling waking up and not having to wear glasses/contacts. Plus I can now wear cool Sunglasses.
I can now say that this was the best thing I ever spent money on.

Questions are Welcome!

New York Ophthalmologist

Staff and Doctor were very professional. Office was very clean and organized. Any and all questions I had about the surgery were answered. The procedure was explained to me in great detail.

Hi Lost,

Welcome to the Lasik community and thanks for the very detailed review. Your review will be very useful to the community. You said you didn't have any pain, but as you are awake did you see the whole surgery? I always worry about that. Please stay an active member of the community.

Thanks,

-Britt

During the surgery, there is a tool that keeps your eye open. There is slight discomfort as the doctor is putting it in. After a few seconds though you forget that its there. Because of the drops your eyes are kinda blurry to begin with so you cant see to well. Everything the doctor does is very close to your eye, so it just looks like a dark object in front of it.

Cool, thanks Lost I always wondered if you could see the doctor coming at you with the laser or something. Now I know :)

-Britt